Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:15 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Camera Projection Eyepiece

I have been testing a "Camera projection eyepiece" on my ED80 with a Nikon D70s attached. I got good results without it using just prime focus. But the attached picture shows the results with the projection eyepiece.

It is a 32mm eyepiece with a slieve over it with about 30mm of travel and a screw thread to attach a "T" adapter.

If I focus for the centre the edges are way out of focus and if I focus for the edge the centre is out. Is this normal? A fault, or is this what a field flattener is used for (I don't know how it would fit though).

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (project-01JPG.jpg)
69.9 KB43 views
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I'm betting it is your eyepiece Roger. It may be more suited to small ccd chips rather than the large DSLR chips. It is not easy to get a good across the field flattening and reduction for wide format chips.

What are you trying to do with the adapter, increase or reduce the focal length of the scope?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

What is the distance from the lens glass to the chip surface?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

I am basically just trying options at the moment because I am very new to all this and it was an affordable option, I am happy with it as just a visual eyepiece. I was trying for a bit more magnification that just the prime focus setup. Next option is a Barlow but there are no ED 2" barlows in the country at the moment.

The distance from the eyepiece glass to the ccd plain would have been approx 70mm.

Thanks for the reply
Roger
Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ok then your scope will be changed from an f6 to about an f9 (600mm increased to 713mm). Try using a 15 - 20 mm eyepiece and see how you go. This type of imaging is useful for the moon but not much else (possibly planets on exceptional nights).
Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 AM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Can't unfortunately the eyepiece is a one piece job. I've attach two photographs of it. One with the rubber eyecup screwed onto the "T" thread the other with a Nikon "T" adapter screwed on and the barrel extended.

I'm going to try a few more tests on the weekend to see what different extentions of the barrel will achieve, I read somewhere that the distance from the lens to the ccd should be about 50mm.

Thanks, Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (11102007(001).jpg)
197.5 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (11102007.jpg)
196.1 KB21 views
Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I'm not familiar with that particular lens setup. I used to use this setup. I would remove the 1.25" adapter from the end (this adapter is just so handy for screwing into female T threads on a whole range of camera accessories and cameras, I'd be lost without it) drop a narrow barrel eyepiece (the old silver top celestrons are great. Just the right size and not bad for quality either) down the center of it and then secure it by using the bottom screw. The whole thing would then thread onto a T thread in your telescope and the other end onto the T Adapter of your camera. The other two screws on the barrel allow you to adjust the length of the adapter which varies the magnification, even using the same eyepiece.

It is fantastic for starting out DSLR imaging on the moon. You can get some seriously rediculous focal lengths using this technique. If you use a 10mm eyepiece and extend the adapter out to it's full length you might end up with somewhere around 125mm distance between lens and chip, this equates to a focal length of around 6.9 meters and an equivalent magnification of 690X. This is way beyond the resolving power of your objective but it gives you an idea of what you can achieve. Using this adapter, a 20mm eyepiece and your ED80 you could expect to achieve Focal lengths of approximately between 1.5 and 3.1 meters (it depends on how close you can get the eyepiece to the chip) and magnifications of between 75X and 155X. Upping it to a 15mm eyepiece and you end up with between 2.2 and 4.4 meters and magnifcations of 110X and 220X. Pretty good magnifications for the moon and within the range of your objectives resolution.

Check out this thread for some of my earliest work
Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

I got something similar first off but it didn't have the adjustable barrel and I found I simply couldn't use it with any of my eyepieces because they just ended up too close tothe ccd in the camera.

The eyepiece I have is basically the same as what you have with the exception that the eyepiece is fixed, otherwise it works exactly the same.

I will experiement.

I just picked up a little webcam today as well, built so that it is going to be easy to fit to a 1.25 barrel so I have somehng else to experiment with. Now all I need is for the clouds to clear.

Thanks for your thoughts
Roger