Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

AstroPhoto Insight Magazine is closing down

It seems that AstroPhoto Insight Magazine is closing down?

Al Degutis, the Editor-in-Chief, has penned a “Letter from the Editor” on the magazine website at:

http://www.astrophotoinsight.com/

Cheers

Dennis
Old 20-02-2012, 04:11 PM
h0ughy (David)

well there goes my subscription
Old 21-02-2012, 12:42 PM
clive milne

I never subscribed to this magazine, though I was tempted at one stage.
Nevertheless, sad to see it fold.

Quote:
If you have never subscribed to the magazine, or haven't recently renewed your subscription, we encourage you to take advantage of the Back Issue Subscription to get the issues you missed at this great price before the magazine's website goes offline on December 31, 2012.

I have enjoyed being part of this great astrophotography community and have appreciated all the positive feedback I received over the years.

Clear and dark skies,
Al Degutis
Editor-in-Chief
AstroPhoto Insight Magazine
www.astrophotoinsight.com
If I was in Al's position, the cheeky b@$tard in me would have made the closing date Dec 21, 2012.
Old 21-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Hagar (Doug)

This is a copy of the letter sent outv to subscribers.
Certainly a better deal than a local Mag gave us all.

Letter from the Editor.

Dear Readers,

It is with deep sadness that I must announce that AstroPhoto Insight Magazine, which I started seven years ago as a newsletter, will be discontinued at the end of this year. It has been an incredible seven years during which I have gotten to know some amazing and talented people, many of whom have become my friends.
Many factors contributed to this very difficult decision.

AstroPhoto Insight Magazine was the first publication dedicated to astrophotography. With an eye on the cutting edge, I published the magazine only as a digital publication, an approach that many traditional print magazines adopted years later. AstroPhoto Insight Magazine was also the first astronomy publication – and one of a only a few – that embedded videos in the magazine, creating an interactive publication even before the iPad and other tablets existed.

I want to thank all of our advertisers for their support over the years. I want especially to thank a couple of our long term supporters, Orion Telescopes and Binoculars and QSI Cameras, as well two relatively new supporters, Celestron and Optec Inc. Their support over the years helped us serve the astrophotography community.

More importantly, I want to thank all of the writers who contributed articles, without which there would be no magazine. The magazine has never had staff writers, relying instead on contributions from hobbyists like you. We have been fortunate to have amazing, talented imagers contributing articles and videos, including Rogelio Bernas Andreas, Warren Keller, Ken Crawford, Richard Berry, Ray Gralak, Stan Moore, Craig Stark, Neil Fleming, David Snay, Kevin Dixon, Alan Smallbone, Jonathan Burnett, Sander Pool, Michael Fulbright, Joe Ulowetz, David Haworth and many others. It was an honor to publish the three part series on creating 3D astro-images by Chris Ford, RenderMan Business Director at Pixar.

I strived to publish a world class magazine, and I hope that you have enjoyed it.

AstroPhoto Insight Magazine will close out the year with four more issues, including the always popular Camera and Mount Buyer’s Guide issue. If your current subscription ends before the end of the year, you will not be able to renew but will have the option of purchasing individual issues as they are published starting with the March/April 2012 issue.

Those who have never subscribed to AstroPhoto Insight Magazine will have to purchase upcoming issues individually starting with the March/April 2012 issue.
We are offering a Back Issue Subscription (www.astrophotoinsight.com/subscriptions [ http://www.astrophotoinsight.com/subscriptions ]) that allows you to download every issue ever published through the current issue (January/February 2012).

If you have never subscribed to the magazine, or haven't recently renewed your subscription, we encourage you to take advantage of the Back Issue Subscription to get the issues you missed at this great price before the magazine's website goes offline on December 31, 2012.

I have enjoyed being part of this great astrophotography community and have appreciated all the positive feedback I received over the years.

Clear and dark skies,
Al Degutis
Editor-in-Chief
AstroPhoto Insight Magazine
Old 21-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

What was the actual reason for the magazine shutting down?

H
Old 21-02-2012, 03:48 PM
COSMOPARADISE (Nick)
Nick Ulich

Oh no that suxxx. I love that mag.
Ive learnt so much from the articles and really looked forward to upcoming issues.
Best of luck to them and much appreciation for an addictive and awesome magazine.
Old 21-02-2012, 04:07 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post

If I was in Al's position, the cheeky b@$tard in me would have made the closing date Dec 21, 2012.
Yeah ... good one Clive .... you been talking to the Mayan living next door.

Sad about the closure.

Flash