Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 PM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

This is messy business. To be honest the PEC correction using TSX software seems to be better than the results I'm getting with PEMpro - which is a worry because I let the program go through it's paces and applied it correctly afterwards and have a feeling I could have put the money to better use.

I've tried it a couple of times and am not getting consistent results. Sometimes the correction is large, sometimes small but every time the X error in the TSX Graph is large and the Y error tiny.

Sometimes it's coming back with a tiny amount of error and other times it's large.

Tracking hasn't improved any from applying a PEC correction resulting from PEMPro.

Any advice or is this about as good as it gets?
Old 21-06-2015, 09:35 PM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

Finally sorted it. After experimenting with TSX, DirectDrive guiding, pulse guiding, PEC and PHD I can confidently say that the curve produced by PEMPro is the same as the curve produced by TSX - not exactly but it dips and rises in the same places.

What causes my guiding to go out is the calibration. Because the calibration results can vary, it changes the way that the mount is guided. When I used PHD, the calibration process includes measuring backlash, pulse guiding using the relays, flexure and can build a picture of all this and start guiding accurately.

If I then 'fiddle' around with the calibration results on TSX, I can add compensation for backlash, play with the calibration angle and length and eventually it performs just as well as PHD.

Same process can be used for direct drive, fiddle about with the settings a bit and the result is better.