Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-08-2019, 02:47 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Epson printer inks

I have just purchased a modestly priced Epson XP-442 printer. Has anyone had experience in obtaining cheap replacement ink cartridges (eg on E-Bay) for this or similar model Epson printers? If so could you give me some guidance? I have previously used cheap cartridges for several years for a Brother printer with no problems.
Old 29-08-2019, 02:58 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

https://www.inkstation.com.au/search...s=Epson+XP-442
Old 29-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjphilli View Post
I have just purchased a modestly priced Epson XP-442 printer. Has anyone had experience in obtaining cheap replacement ink cartridges (eg on E-Bay) for this or similar model Epson printers? If so could you give me some guidance? I have previously used cheap cartridges for several years for a Brother printer with no problems.
I refuse to buy Epson printers, years ago they made it almost impossible for anyone to use all but Epson ink, I have never used Canon ink in any of my Canon printers ann never had a problem

https://blog.inkjetwholesale.com.au/...tridge-errors/
Old 30-08-2019, 12:00 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks for these tips - I will follow them up. Peter
Old 30-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I currently have 2 Epson printers, and yes the ink is expensive, but not as expensive as head replacement. I have in the past tried generic inks and in all cases they stuffed the heads, so I stick with the Epson inks.
my 2 cents worth
Old 30-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
I currently have 2 Epson printers, and yes the ink is expensive, but not as expensive as head replacement. I have in the past tried generic inks and in all cases they stuffed the heads, so I stick with the Epson inks.
my 2 cents worth
100%

However I have had my Canon A3 for many years and just needed a new head, £15 from ebay, works perfect
Old 31-08-2019, 01:44 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks for this further advice - Peter
Old 31-08-2019, 05:18 PM
garymck (Gary)

https://www.rihac.com.au/product_inf...ml-ciss-p-2758

Worked there years ago, first rate photo quality inks. Recomended numerous times in photo mags.

FWIW
gary
Old 01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
dikman (Richard)

I've been using a Rihac external bulk tank system on my Epson for years and it still works fine. No problem with their ink.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks Gary and Richard for this advice. One of the biggest bugbears with a printer is the need to obtain and instal suitable inks. First there is the problem of just how much ink is in the cartridges and problem of knowing how long it will last and trusting the printers notification of ink duration. I am very interested in the Rihac external bulk system for Epson. Although the initial cost may be high it appears to me that it gives immediate visual indication of ink levels and large ink capacity so that ink replenishment is not very often
(I have a relatively small print need).
I will seek further advice from Rihac regarding the suitable type for my Epson XP-442 and let you know the outcome. Peter.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I fade tested many cheap options including Rihac CIS and without fail they ALL faded on photo prints except the Epson inks. I also tested various photo papers and print quality and life was clearly related to price. The cheap officeworks ones were inconsistent in results likely due to multiple sources they use for their pricepoint.

Depends what you want and how long you want the prints to last. Indoors you rarely get direct sunlight on prints and they seem to last, plus windows now require certain level of UV protection so it all "depends" there too but outside the worst I had looked great from the printer with little muddying of colour gradients but after a few hours outside in direct sunlight faded drastically.

I also had the rihac CIS seals degrade in time and flood my A3+ photoprinter. So if you're asking the question then you've already decided you are only going to use the cheapest anyway. It may appear to be a good decision at first but if longevity is important it will depend on use and contact to sunlight.

Then theres the issue of how often the inks are run through the printer as they will dry and crust in the head which will result in clogs (like a white stroke) likewise changing ink sources you cant know what chemical reactions will occur that may causeproblems as some ink left in your printer system mixing with a different type may cause problems. Unless the printer in question uses cartiridges with built in heads.

All my prints on Ilford papers are still fresh looking and the few I have that receive sunlight show little fading (they used epson inks), all officeworks papers show fading whether exposed to any light or not regardless of ink but again epson inks show less fading than CIS and cheap alternatives. Photography was what I did before my stroke and a colour fast and colour accurate print service was something I had to ensure for my own standards anyway. In the long run there is little cost difference to be certain a print I made would last for years. The CIS worked (until its tubing system biodegraded and leaked) but the prints always faded in months. A single print on the wal may look ok for years but take it down and look at it outside of next to a fresh print and you'll notice the dark areas are clearly not as they should be.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:34 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Steve
Thanks for your advice. I guess it is a case of "oils ain't oils" like the old advertisement. Price/convenience/quality all have to be assessed. I very rarely print colour photos for hanging on a wall etc and mainly print black and white text. Most of my prints would end up in a closed folder away from the light or at rarely say on a indoor cork board. So I guess I am going for the price/convenience angle and not so worried about print quality/longevity but I will certainly keep your advice in mind. Peter