Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-05-2017, 07:34 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool Astronomy and Birding - Who uses their binoculars for both?

I became involved in astronomy about 2 years ago.

About 6 months ago my wife and I became interested in bird watching.

Well, gee, I have several sets of binoculars and a small spotting scope for us to use for birding. The ones I have are not ideal for bird watching but they will do.

I was wondering if there are many other star gazers who are also birders.

Do you have different binoculars for birding than for astronomy?

Do you use your astronomy telescopes for birding?

Or did you start with birding and then realize that you birding binoculars could be turned toward the sky?

An inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 17-05-2017, 08:36 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

yep as long as the bins aren't IF, they are good for dual purpose..havn't been birding lately -too busy but like to use between 8x32 & 15x51
Old 17-05-2017, 10:26 AM
anj026
Plyscope

Occasionally I will use binoculars for nature watching and sporting events. Generally that would be with an 8x30 or 10x35. I'm not a birder as such but do enjoy using binoculars to catch a glimpse of far off birds and wildlife. I work at sea and use a 7x30 for whale watching and checking out the other ships around. I have several binoculars, the most used ones for astronomy are the 10x50 and the 15x60.

Andy
Old 17-05-2017, 01:16 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Anyone using a zoom monocular?

As noted earlier the birding side of things started with my wife. I have been trying to leverage my existing inventory of glass to support her interest which is also growing with me. ( Just what I need, another hobby)

At first, I offered her the use of my assortment of binoculars she didn't like them. She said they make her dizzy. I have been using binoculars all my life but she is new to them. She will need a little time to get used to them.

I found this Orion 10-25 42 mm zoom monocular and ordered it. Basically half of a binocular. She likes it a lot!
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-10-25...word=monocular

The Orion Optics seem to be pretty good. It is tiny so it will travel easily and be easy to carry when walking. Like any 10X it is hard to hold steady freehand. There is a 1/4 20 mount point. I put it on a light camera tripod with a ball head and it works quite well. And at home we have it on one of those mini tripods in the dining room so it can be used as a mini-spotting scope to watch the bird feeders. (4)

Field of view - angular
3.3° - 2.4°

Clearly not as wide as my binoculars but workable. She is enjoying it very much.