Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 PM
DJT (David)

Which force of nature am I controlling by...

I asked my gorgeous holder of the purse strings to lift me in the air, which she was able to do. I then asked her again but this time I determined she would not be able to lift me, ie, clenching body parts. I did not wear crampons, I did not push up against a ceiling, I just apparently created enough density out of nothing to prevent me from being lifted.

Here's the killer, I then demonstrated how I could lift her, then asked her to persuade herself not to be lifted, and lo and behold, I couldn't lift her.

Any takers? Try it..
Old 13-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

The "Force" is strong within you.
Old 13-07-2013, 03:19 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yeah, but can you lick your elbow.

I can only lick my eyebrow...
Old 13-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
and behold, I couldn't lift her.
My advice to young men everywhere, if ever you go to lift your <ahem> significant other, you had better be able to lift them, and do so without even a groan or the slightest grimace, or you'll pay for it....
Old 13-07-2013, 03:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My advice to young men everywhere, if ever you go to lift your <ahem> significant other, you had better be able to lift them, and do so without even a groan or the slightest grimace, or you'll pay for it....
Yes, if you raise them, awkwardly, at arms length, their foot is in a VERY opportune position for retaliatory actions...
Old 13-07-2013, 03:45 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

An interesting question! Having been involved in Rock'n'Roll and Swing dancing for many years, lifting a partner is a skil one has to learn.
The effect you are describing is not so much that the person being lifted is able to resist lifting, rather thay stop co-operating in the lift.
One move my partner and I do is called the "Cartwheel". She stands in front of me with her arms and legs spreadeagled (like in a star jump) I lean over to my right and grasp her around her waist with my left arm around her right side and vice versa.
I then turn her like a "cartwheel" and she ends up on my left side and we dance out.
Interestingly, if she does nothing it is nearly impossible, she becomes a deadweight and very hard to flip over. All she needs to do is give a seemingly tiny push with her feet as I lift and make sure her core is tense and it is the easiest thing in the world. A tense core is the main thing in lifting along with the person being lifted doing a little bit.

Malcolm
Old 13-07-2013, 03:49 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I am sure what David is talking about is an OLD trick, described/demonstrated here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86AMdV9tfI
Old 13-07-2013, 03:58 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
An interesting question! Having been involved in Rock'n'Roll and Swing dancing for many years, lifting a partner is a skil one has to learn.
The effect you are describing is not so much that the person being lifted is able to resist lifting, rather thay stop co-operating in the lift.
One move my partner and I do is called the "Cartwheel". She stands in front of me with her arms and legs spreadeagled (like in a star jump) I lean over to my right and grasp her around her waist with my left arm around her right side and vice versa.
I then turn her like a "cartwheel" and she ends up on my left side and we dance out.
Interestingly, if she does nothing it is nearly impossible, she becomes a deadweight and very hard to flip over. All she needs to do is give a seemingly tiny push with her feet as I lift and make sure her core is tense and it is the easiest thing in the world. A tense core is the main thing in lifting along with the person being lifted doing a little bit.

Malcolm
Thank you for saving me from trying to lick my eyebrows ( or elbow).

So how does this work? Are we saying then that it is almost impossible to lift somebody off the ground without some form of pressure being exerted downward by the willing(or unwilling) partner which subsequently means that gravity will ultimately prevent said partner from continuing upwards should I inadvertantly let go?

And what cosmological forces are in play that enable Lewis to lick his eyebrow?
Old 13-07-2013, 04:04 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I am sure what David is talking about is an OLD trick, described/demonstrated here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86AMdV9tfI
aaah..the old elbow pressure point gag. Nope, no elbows where touched during the course of the experiments, not even licked.
Old 13-07-2013, 04:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Having been involved in Rock'n'Roll and Swing dancing for many years, lifting a partner is a skill one has to learn.
I thought the landing would be the critical part?
Old 13-07-2013, 04:46 PM
leon

I will tell you another one that i saw performed in an ordinary house hold and it did work, however this was some 40 years ago, gees I'm old

You get one person sitting on a chair and then two people, one either side lift the chair with the person sitting on it, no problem, then put them down.

Then both lifting people put their both hands on that persons head and push downward, not a crushing force, but good pressure for about a minute, then try the same lift as before.

You wont get then off the ground, try it.

Leon
Old 13-07-2013, 06:41 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

The ' Force ' be with you all on this.....

Abra- Car- Dabra ....Wallah ....

Flash.....