Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-09-2023, 07:29 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

A question about wavelets in Registax and Jupiter

I took over 100 images of Jupiter last night (plus dark and light frames) from a reasonably dark back yard in a regional area through an 8" f5 GSO Newtonian with the aid of a Nikon D810 through a LONG image train (around 6" from focuser) through a 12mm Vixen Lanthanum eyepiece with the lens from a vixen 2X Barlow screwed into the filter thread end of the eyepiece.

Earlier in the evening trying to achieve good focus on the waxing crescent moon I noticed it was near impossible and after trying to focus on Saturn with the same focus issues and again on Jupiter I decided the seeing just wasn't good enough for what appeared to be a clear sky (couldn't even obtain focus on a star in the Milky Way, with or without a Bahtinov mask).

The Newtonian spent several hours outside from the afternoon right till around 1AM, the fan on the back was running to stabilise the air currents within the tube so my best guess is it was upper atmospheric disturbance.

I eventually got focus on the moon (my son did with good eyes) but it was tricky and I know the 1.75Kg of adapters and camera hanging from the end of the cheap GSO focuser created sag within the image train, the only effect I could really notice is it made collimation appear a little off due to the weight/sag. I collimated the unit before starting.

https://i.postimg.cc/TwXvL96k/2-stit...-8417x6530.jpg

I've seen mention of running planetary images like Jupiter through Registax and using wavelets but have absolutely no idea how to do this, my playing just produces the biggest mess.

Can anyone point me to resources (webpage) where a simpleton like myself may be able to understand the Wavelets process, or any free software which may be a little more user friendly towards idiots?
Maybe I need less image train, better camera and equipment, an observatory and better location?
If only the Lotto Gods would listen to my pleas........
Another question, I know I won't get the same as a 2x Barlow adapting the lens from the unit on the end of the eyepiece, I have before used to same combination of everything successfully to obtain sharp images of the heavens.
Is there a better way to obtain decent magnification for photographing planets so I'm not trying to enhance a grain of sand sized image?
Yes, I know a bigger telescope or higher power eyepiece would assist but something that can be done without spending a fortune?

Thanks!