Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-08-2023, 07:57 AM
CharlieM (Charlie)

GPS Modules for Astrophotography

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone has experience with gps systems for astrophotography syncing with software. I go do lots of different observing sites and it’s always frustrating typing in coordinates from my phone.

My Questions:
1. How do you sync gps devices to software. (NINA, Sharpcap etc.)
2. What are the best systems available.

Thanks for viewing.
Old 28-08-2023, 08:09 AM
JA

Hi C,

There are some DSLRs etc that geotag their photos. As for Nina..... ???

Best
JA
Old 28-08-2023, 08:41 AM
CharlieM (Charlie)

Interesting, I didn’t realise dslrs did that. I’ll have to check if mine does that.

Thanks
Old 28-08-2023, 09:25 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

I purchased a cheap usb GPS mouse a number of years ago that I use with APT & it sends the details to EQMOD, though I think it's due for replacement as it seems a bit slow now & sometimes fails. I don't use it much now except for new locations as my regular locations are stored in APT, but makes it easier if going to different/new locations. I'm sure other software have the capability to get the data the same way.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 28-08-2023, 09:36 AM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Hi Charlie,

Be warned, I don't have any first hand experience using GPS with NINA, however, I did find a Cloudynights post stating that they have used this USB GPS dongle with windows and NINA.

If you search ebay you'll find them there for under $20.

I think you will need to use the ASCOM GPS utility, but again, I've never done this so no guarantee.

Chris

P.S. I just purchased one from ebay. Couldn't help myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (41h2q+5+PCL._AC_SX466_.jpg)
8.5 KB56 views

Last edited by ChrisD; 28-08-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 28-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I think you will need to use the ASCOM GPS utility, but again, I've never done this so no guarantee.

Chris
Never had to use the ASCOM GPS utility, APT & other programs get the data direct from the device.
Quote:
P.S. I just purchased one from ebay. Couldn't help myself.
Just couldn't resist huh? I prefer the "mouse" versions with the lead, lets you get it right out in the open & mine has a magnet so I just attach it to the tripod leg.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 28-08-2023, 10:51 AM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
Just couldn't resist huh? I prefer the "mouse" versions with the lead, lets you get it right out in the open & mine has a magnet so I just attach it to the tripod leg.

Cheers,
Mark
I try to keep the wiring to a minimum, less chance of snags. Anyway, to each their own.

Chris
Old 28-08-2023, 11:26 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I try to keep the wiring to a minimum, less chance of snags. Anyway, to each their own.

Chris
I do too, I only have one power lead coming off the mount head for the pocket powerbox. The GPS only needs to be connected for a few minutes at the beginning of the session then can be removed once the location is set.

Mark
Old 29-08-2023, 04:50 PM
CharlieM (Charlie)

If I had the option to get a mouse or a usb dongle, which is better performance wise?

I’d probably put the gps mouse in between the dovetail plate and telescope. (I use an FRA500 refractor) Or a usb dongle on the hub on top of the ota.
Old 29-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
If I had the option to get a mouse or a usb dongle, which is better performance wise?

I’d probably put the gps mouse in between the dovetail plate and telescope. (I use an FRA500 refractor) Or a usb dongle on the hub on top of the ota.
Really not a lot of difference between the two as they are both likely to use the same chip, probably a U-blox7 or similar. As long as they have access to clear sky there won't be much difference - not sure if placing it in between the dovetail plate and telescope will have much/any effect, though I did find mine worked better being in a totally clear area away from ANY obstruction.

I've used mine for other things so the lead/magnet on the mouse has been handy. And as it doesn't need to remain connected after obtaining & setting the location info the lead isn't an issue at all.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-09-2023, 08:23 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Never had to use the ASCOM GPS utility, APT & other programs get the data direct from the device.
You are right Mark, I just hooked up the GPS and NINA finds the COM port and connects directly.

Chris.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:16 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Hi Chris,

How's that dongle working for you? I think my mouse version is due for replacement & considering getting one like yours that I can just leave plugged into my hub. I have managed to get GPS from my phone over bluetooth to work & it seems fast & accurate but for some reason the connection seems flaky with the app I found - seems to be very few apps that do this, at least for android.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-11-2023, 08:45 AM
joshman (Josh)

i just use a GPS app on my phone and type the location in manually to the capture app. I don't change my location all that much, so i haven't had a need for a dedicated GPS module.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:56 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Hi Chris,

How's that dongle working for you? I think my mouse version is due for replacement & considering getting one like yours that I can just leave plugged into my hub. I have managed to get GPS from my phone over bluetooth to work & it seems fast & accurate but for some reason the connection seems flaky with the app I found - seems to be very few apps that do this, at least for android.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark,
Yeah, the cheap EBAY GPS. I've used it a couple of times when I've been imaging remote, no problems. It's not good at picking up satellites when indoors but thats not really a problem with astrophotography

Chris