Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Frostyricho (Stephen)

Eq Mount

Hi members of IIS,
Ok so I now have my 8 inch dobsonian and have been having a ball with it and all of the things i have seen such as star clusters and the odd satellite passing through. Anyways, im here to talk about getting an equatorial mount as
I want to start astrophotography. Im going to America next year and thought I may start shopping around for a Eq mount. I want to know what are some good mounts for me which would hold a 8 inch dobsonian. My price range will be between $0-$500, but i know when i go to America the prices will be way cheaper than here. I want it to also have a Goto controller. Any suggestions and i want to know their specifications.

Kind regards,
frostyricho
Old 11-11-2014, 09:07 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

FROSTY , is your Dob an f8 , 1200mm focal length? , if so an HEQ5 would be the very , very minimum , EQ6 better but sadly these mounts in GOTO mode start at about $750 2nd hand , up to $1200 ish for the EQ6 ,
I use the HEQ5 for both my 127mm iStar frak and Celestron C9.25 Cat and it holds these well but the length ( not so much weight) is the problem here , with mounting an OTA of 1200mm long it takes a very solid mount ( $$$$ ) the torque so easily applied in use is the problem , hence why most large Newtonion's are mounted Dobsonion wise .

Ps. maybe the Mod's move this thread to 'Beginners EQ discussions '? will get a better response there I think .

Brian.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Frostyricho (Stephen)

Yea my telescope is a f8, 1200mm focal, but as i said when i go to America ive been seeing prices of $499 for mounts
which can hold 11lb (5kg) and also a GOTO, but then i think how will i get it back to Australia

Last edited by Frostyricho; 12-11-2014 at 01:14 PM.