Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Jabba (Keenan)

Clear skies ahead! what to view?

First night of clear sky since I bought my new scope ><
Need recommendations on what to look at...

I could see Jupiter near the horizon earlier when it was still kind of bright, but now its too low :/

Im thinking maybe sirius -1.45 mag and pretty much near the zenith ?

What else

so excited LOL!
Old 18-01-2010, 09:15 PM
areyouabus (Pauly)

I wouldnt worry about looking at stars, they dont look much different up close.
Look around the handle of the saucepan (orion), the great orion nebula is in perfect position to look at. Mars is up early but may disappoint.
47 tuc is about 2 degrees up and right from the bottom right star of the constellation Triangulum. It looks like a dull fuzzy blob in your finderscope
Old 18-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Jabba (Keenan)

omg I had like a 5 minute look, walked back inside to check stellarium and checked forums, walked back outside and the majority of the sky is clouded over... WOW

anyway, I need some tips.

1. my back hurts from leaning over to use the finder scope lol

2. the time I had to view, for instance I tried viewing Sirius and all I could see was a circle of blur which made me think was it really sirius or was it something to do with my eyepiece or something :S??

I also tested the finder scope with the moon whilst I could still see it and it lined up pretty much deadsmack to the telescope so I am pretty sure it was all working well.

Anyway, I will try again another night, clouds have rolled in big time here sigh.

goodnight
Old 18-01-2010, 09:52 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
1. my back hurts from leaning over to use the finder scope lol
You can buy finder scopes that have a 90 degree diagonal on the end so you look in to them from the side. I've seen them on quite a few Dob's. Alternatively you can buy a red dot finder which is easier to look through from various positions. Both are probably about the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
2. the time I had to view, for instance I tried viewing Sirius and all I could see was a circle of blur which made me think was it really sirius or was it something to do with my eyepiece or something :S??
It was probably out of focus, or there was thin cloud you didn't visually see impacting your view. Sirius should appear as a small pinpoint of light when properly focused with clear skies.
Old 18-01-2010, 10:30 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Jabba,

mate, whilst the sky is clouded over, make yourself one of these planispheres:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~zs3t-tk/...lanisphere.htm

It is listed in one of the beginners forum's stickies.

Use it when it clears up to help you identify the constellations out in the open at any time of the year. I still use mine to plan sessions weeks in advance. Planispheres are very useful, even years later. 25 in my case.

This next link is to an excellent starters star atlas. Where Stellarium is a good tool, I still think a good star atlas is essential. Together they work very well.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~zs3t-tk/atlas/atlas.htm

Sirius being so bright allows many artifacts to be seen that are of caused by both the scope and the eyepieces you use. The scope may show diffraction spikes caused by the spider holding the secondary mirror. Lesser quality eyepieces may suffer from internal reflections as a result of inferior lens coatings. Another reason for these artifacts may be a result of the optics needing to be collimated, or alined.

Here is a short list of a few things you may like to track down with your new scope (by the way, the crick in your neck in using the finder will diminish as your experience and confidence increases):

* The Tarantula nebula (NGC 2070)- located in the constellation Dorado. It actually lies in another galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud, which orbits our Milky Way galaxy. Don't be afraid to kick up the magnification with it.

* The Pleiades cluster (M 45)- in Taurus. A young open cluster of screaming hot stars. There is nebulosity which still surrounds these stars, which makes the cluster appear like your optics are beginning to dew-up. It is actually this nebulosity. By the way, the light from these stars which we see today left those stars when Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas, some 500 years ago.

* Eta Carina nebula (NGC3372) - in Carina. A giant nebula only second in brightness to the great nebula in Orion. It too is visible as a fuzzy patch even from Sydney.

* The Sombrero Galaxy (M 104) - in Virgo. Reckon you're getting good with the finder? This one will set you straight! Even though it is one of the brightest galaxies in the sky, unless you are patient, it will show you "who's your daddy?" However, once you nail this one, you will never forget the experience. Even from Sydney's skies it is easily visible if you are patient. I've pinned this one too with an 8" dob from my backyard in central Sydney.

Observation tip: learn to use 'averted vision' to look at objects. The most light sensitive region of our eyes surrounds our central vision. Look just to one side of a faint object, and amazingly the whole thing not only looks brighter, but you will see much more detail. Tricky to learn at first, but becomes second nature very quickly.
Old 19-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Jabba (Keenan)

Thanks for the hints 'n' tips, it's muchly appreciated

Im going to keep an eye out for the next star party so I can learn more.
Old 19-01-2010, 06:05 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Jabba,

Look up WSAAG and go to their next observing night at Linden in the Mountains.

Cheers
Old 19-01-2010, 08:34 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Here is a short list of a few things you may like to track down with your new scope
Just came across this thread and wanted to thank Alexander for a great response. I'll be referring to this one next time Melbourne gets some clear skies.

Thanks,
Af.
Old 19-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Jabba (Keenan)

Well tonight so far the clouds have held off which is great, the street lights dont seem to be working either which is awesome haha...

So anyway, I kicked it off tonight by checking out the moon first whilst it was still kind of light skies and I was pretty amazed by the depth and clarity of it!

Next thing I checked out was Jupiter which was close to the horizon and I saw it and 4 of it's moons very clearly, I also saw a very dim small star south east of Jupiter, could anyone tell me what that was?

So at around 9:30 the skies were pretty dark, I tried to see my first Nebula, Orion, which I located by nagivating between bright stars Betelguese and Rigel, and and I managed to see that quite easily(although it strained my back looking almost directly up) through a 25mm eyepiece, then chucked the 9mm eyepiece on and saw it slightly better but with a little blur.

Then I got a bit of confidence and referred to your list you kindly provided us Alex and tried to spot the Carina Nebula, which I think I did although maybe I didnt... I wasnt sure, but what I saw was a group of stars with an ever so slight blur(cloud maybe?)

Last thing I quickly saw, which my mum pointed out to me was a group of group of stars to the north, which I thought may be a cluster of some sort... so I pointed towards it, found it and it was pretty amazing, very clear and very bright stars! So again I referred to your list as mentioned above and I am guessing that was the plaides cluster (M 45)? it was very nice

Anyway, thats it for the night, I am going to pack it up and get some sleep.

Thanks again, was a much enjoyed observation tonight!
Old 19-01-2010, 10:14 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Well done, your off and running. Next time revisit each of these objects. See if you can locate them easier and maybe see something new about each.

Also checkout skymaps.com where you can download a chart for the month with a list of interesting objects.
Old 19-01-2010, 11:01 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Well done Keenan! The clouds held out down here in Melbourne tonight so I also had a good night exploring.
Old 19-01-2010, 11:02 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Nice and clear tonight for sure. I was in the city tonight with my youngest daughter taking some night shots and the sky looked unusually clear even in the middle of the city with all the light pollution. Normally you'd be lucky to make out the Pleiades but not a problem. And the crescent moon was beautiful, especially as it started to set toward the horizon.
Old 19-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Marke (Mark)

Hey Keenan glad its working out well for you mate its a nice little scope.
I used a small stool to help with the difficult angles.

Mark
Old 20-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Jabba (Keenan)

ah yeah, I might invest in a little stool then

Il check out that skymaps website when im home tonight thanks Michael.