Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Another BSG down and a wet one it was. Still most who turned up enjoyed the great company and ramblings of like minded people. Again I caught up with some great friends, had a few wines and generally lazed the days away hoping for some big sucker holes in the sky. They didn't happen.
We were all kept well fed by our friendly caterers (Brownie and Team) who went an extra step and introduced some to bush tucker this year. Many thanks Brownie for the great food and for H's birthday cake.

The big thankyou must go to David the unbeliever for his great project management of this huge undertaking and making it all work even while unwell and suffering the poor conditions. The rest of the BSG team must also be thanked, a great effort from you all.

I still had a great time this year and an interesting drive home along a lot of back roads dodging water with a final water crossing about 3' deep. Thank God I have a 4X4.

Till next year, THANKS AGAIN.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Another BSG down and a wet one it was.....
The observing field, Saturday morning. Yikes!

BUT - it was great bunch of people! I'll be back next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (It is wet #1.jpg)
106.2 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (It is wet #2.jpg)
138.9 KB63 views
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Sorry I couldn't make it in the end, couldn't justify spending $100+ on fuel plus food etc to watch rain rather than stars! I'm sure I still would have enjoyed the company. Oh well, just have to be patient and wait for Snake Valley or Vicsouth.

Malcolm
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Another BSG down and a wet one it was. Still most who turned up enjoyed the great company and ramblings of like minded people. Again I caught up with some great friends, had a few wines and generally lazed the days away hoping for some big sucker holes in the sky. They didn't happen.
We were all kept well fed by our friendly caterers (Brownie and Team) who went an extra step and introduced some to bush tucker this year. Many thanks Brownie for the great food and for H's birthday cake.

The big thankyou must go to David the unbeliever for his great project management of this huge undertaking and making it all work even while unwell and suffering the poor conditions. The rest of the BSG team must also be thanked, a great effort from you all.

I still had a great time this year and an interesting drive home along a lot of back roads dodging water with a final water crossing about 3' deep. Thank God I have a 4X4.

Till next year, THANKS AGAIN.
Thanks Doug and it has to be said that it is the amateur astronomy community that are responsible for the success of any star party.

As with every star party it is the guests that make it worth doing and worth doing well. Each year I am more and more impressed with the calibre of people that attend these gatherings. Everyone still manages to enjoy the positive side of the event regardless of what the weather throws at us (the most rain in our region in 15 years is pretty hard to forecast 12 mths out). Your patience and resilience is commendable.

If anything is learnt from attending a star party it is the community spirit. Despite the predictions of rain over 140 people registered for BSG, with quite a few registering and arriving during the event.

Lets hope that next year we can break the weather hoodoo and treat you to a star party that not only do you deserve but gives you everything you would want from a star party. Clear skies, great entertainment, Miles, Brownie and the management team at Wymah Valley and our team of enthusiastic volunteers in ASAW.

Cheers
Dave

PS I have to concede that Jeff's treb was way more pretty than mine and very impressive to watch.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post

Thanks Eric, I didn't get the opportunity to photograph the bogged vehicle.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your first Border Stargaze and look forward to catching up next year. Or at least when I get my voice back.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Sorry I couldn't make it in the end, couldn't justify spending $100+ on fuel plus food etc to watch rain rather than stars! I'm sure I still would have enjoyed the company. Oh well, just have to be patient and wait for Snake Valley or Vicsouth.

Malcolm
I was looking forward to catching up with you Malcolm and hopefully the weather is much kinder next year.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Just on 800 km trip home to Gippsland via a circuitous route. Heaps of road closures and detours. Anyhow, despite the clouds, enjoyed the gathering and meeting a bunch of new folk, and the talks of course. Will have to come back next time to see some of the gear that stayed tucked away this time.

Pic attached is of the assembled crowd patiently waiting for the roast dinner last night.

Chris

Great photo Chris, any chance you can email me a copy at borderstargaze@iprimus.com.au
Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
its a pity you guys had crook weather.

Maybe October might be better and get to see everyone at IISAC

Are you suggesting we move Border Stargaze to October
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
We noticed that Lake Hume noticeably rose in the 36 hours I was at the camp!!

I observed significant flooding of the northern Victorian rivers and creeks on the drive home.

This is the first year that we have seen Lake Hume less than 500 metres from the Park in well over 10 years, usually it is 2-3km away. Maybe the water will eventually get to the boatshed and we can then offer watersports as and addedd activity.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
The Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I had never seen water in some of those creeks either. You could see near Euroa where the water was over the Hume at some point.

Thanks again to organising team; another great social event this year. It was just a shame a 10 year flood was also booked that weekend, but on the plus it boosted Wine sales!

I did get something unique out of it this year, I met my bush block neighbour for the first time by pure chance.

- Dave.

Hi Dave,

What incredible luck that you happen to be a neighbour of Brownie. If you ever have rabbit problems I am sure he would be able to help.

If you haven't got his number just PM me anytime and I will pass it on.

Getting invited around to his place is always a bonus as each time I have managed to score a cake or two
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unbeliever View Post
Lets hope that next year we can break the weather hoodoo and treat you to a star party that not only do you deserve but gives you everything you would want from a star party. Clear skies, great entertainment, Miles, Brownie and the management team at Wymah Valley and our team of enthusiastic volunteers in ASAW.
Sorry I missed out on attending for the first time! No weather hoodoo as far as I'm concerned. There's been some great viewing at each of the previous ones, and in my book rain this year means cracker skies next year! And I'll be there!

Cheers -
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Big Dave (Dave)
Telescopes keep me poor

Got his number but no cake yet!
Had a good time a BSG count us in for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unbeliever View Post
Hi Dave,

What incredible luck that you happen to be a neighbour of Brownie. If you ever have rabbit problems I am sure he would be able to help.

If you haven't got his number just PM me anytime and I will pass it on.

Getting invited around to his place is always a bonus as each time I have managed to score a cake or two
Old 14-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Farscape (Linda)

Hi

Had a great time catching up with everyone and hopefully, next year we might see some stars. That was my poor car being pulled off the field with the tractor!!

Hope everyone who was sick is feeling better and see you next year.
Linda
Old 14-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Farscape (Linda)

Quote:

Erick

The 2 photos you took of my car bogged on the field, do you mind if I save them?

thanks
Linda
Old 14-09-2010, 08:29 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I was hoping the owner wouldn't complain about my posting the photos so thanks Linda. (BTW, I suspect the organisers won't use the shots in future advertising )

I have a number of shots on my mobile phone. PM me an email address and I'll email them to you.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Farscape (Linda)

Hi Eric

Email address: richl@unimelb.edu.au

thanks
Linda
Old 15-09-2010, 08:30 PM
leon

Just had a look at this post, it is sad that all the hard work was spoiled by such weather.

But guys remember the friendship, and new people some may have met.

I have been there, at BSG, it is a super event.

Leon
Old 15-09-2010, 09:29 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi Leon

Many thanks for your comments. We have been overwhelmed by the feedback and posts received. Among the questions on the feedback form, we have asked guests about the time of year that we host the event and the majority are not only keen to return but have supported the time of year.

So I think that we must be doing something right, regardless of the weather.

Please keep the feedback coming in...

Cheers Petra d.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Both times I've been have been super events. I'm over the weather, now. In the end it came down to being with mates, laughter, mirth, joy and fun. Making new friends and talking shop. Will be back next year.

H
Old 15-09-2010, 11:09 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacezebra View Post
Hi Leon

Among the questions on the feedback form, we have asked guests about the time of year that we host the event and the majority are not only keen to return but have supported the time of year.

Cheers Petra d.
Hi Petra,

I will send the feedback form back on the weekend. Just to add my comments which I have already discussed with you at BSG.

As you know I have been to every Border Stargaze (4), as a 3RF representative. Myself and 3RF will continue to support it every year, irrespective of when it's held. Outside of the weather and the fact the skies could be a fraction better, it gets a tick in every box. It is held at an excellent venue. It caters extremely well for families and more specifically the non astronomy component of families (Hi David ) . Most importantly it is extremely well organised and invariably runs like a clock. As I have mentioned to you previously this is the closest star party I have been to in Australia, which resembles the Texas Star Party (1000 people) in how well it is organised. In addition the comraderie at BSG is excellent.

However, one cannot get away from the facts. The main fact is people go to star parties to observe themselves, to image or to look through big telescopes which they don't normally have access to. The later is the main reason myself and 3RF support the event. In 2007 we got a couple of hours observing on the Friday night under very mixed conditions. After midnight on the Friday was a complete wipeout as was the Saturday. In 2008 we had 3/4 qtrs of one night of good observing conditions, with the last part of the night a wipeout. The second night was again a complete wipeout. In 2009 we got a couple of hours of observing under good conditions. The balance of that night and the next day was again a complete wipeout. This year I didn't even get the eyepiece case unpacked. The sum of all this is that in the past 4 years we have had about 10 hours total observing/imaging time. Over those past 4 years my total travelling time to and from BSG has been about 56 hours. Crunching the numbers, I have spent over 5 times longer getting to and from BSG than I have spent observing and running sky tours. Clearly those people who are happy to continue to hold it at the same time of year haven't been every year, haven't been wiped out every year and don't travel 7 hours each way to get there. That all having been said, irrespective of when it is held next year I will be back, because it is a great star party. It has the potential to be one of the best in the country if it can be held at a time of year when the weather is likely to be more co operative, because then it gets a tick in an extra box.

Cheers,
John B