Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-11-2009, 11:55 PM
refracted1 (Rick)

Exclamation ED120 pro refractor. Help!

Hello everyone, I've purchased an ed120 pro skywatcher refractor, the previous gold model, and as some of you probably know this has been asked before but i'll put it out there again as well as another question
(1) does this scope to anyones knowledge have the fpl53 or the fpl51 fluorite glass optics, i know the black diamond range has the fpl53 which is supposed to be the superior coating.
(2) can anyone recommend a good brand or style of high powered eyepiece and where to get them that would complement this scope. I live in Brisbane.
P.S does any members actually own this scope? Any advice, wisdom, knowledge would be vastly appreciated! many thanks..
Rick
Old 27-11-2009, 11:59 PM
bloodhound31

I have the 120 Black Diamond. The only thing I found was that the focus lock still changes the focus after you have got it perfect. The only choice was to leave it unlocked but then as the scope rolls over during the night the weight of the camera causes the focus to shift and you have a problem again.

So I built my own zero shift focus lock stop-plate assembly.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/inde...=81&Itemid=120

Baz.
Old 28-11-2009, 12:55 AM
casstony

You might need to give a bit more information about your experiences so far Rick - it sounds as though you're worried about the performance of the scope?

What eyepieces have you used so far and what objects have you looked at? If you've used, say, a 5mm eyepiece and the image was blurry, it's probable that the atmosphere was not stable enough to support 180x magnification.

The ED120 does use fpl53 AFAIK.
Old 28-11-2009, 10:27 AM
csb (Craig)

Andrews Comm. sell that scope and list it as having FPL-53

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
Old 28-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Hagar (Doug)

All skywatcher ED range refractors have a FPL53 glass element in the lens system. The black diamond use a diferent manufacturer of lens glass which should be of a higher standard. eg Schott glass lens system. It probably makes very little diference overall but is a selling point.
As for an EP. Any of the quality EP manufacturers should work quite well with a refractor as they are faairly forgiving on EP's. Manufacturers like Baader, Orion, Televue etc will give good eye relief and a good field of view.
Old 29-11-2009, 08:59 AM
alfi (Alf david)

hi
the schott glas isnt new, they used it earlier to, they only started using it as a sellingpoint with the black diamond range.
i have some SW nirvana eyepieces, and they are excellent eyepieces, really nice!

alfi
Old 29-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I wouldn't rate schott glass above Ohara or Hoya, or even any chinese made glass. It is only used for the mating element. The only company that makes FPL-53 is Ohara, so the most important glass in the lens all comes from the same company anyway.

A good high powered eyepiece would be something like the Televue Nagler 3-6mm zoom, but it isn't cheap. Some cheaper options might be University Optics othoscopics, or maybe look at some medium powered eyepieces and getting a barlow to increase the versatility with your eyepieces.
Old 29-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
I wouldn't rate schott glass above Ohara or Hoya,

or even any chinese made glass.
I think you would find disagreement from western lens makers in regard to the homogeneity quality on that one .
The Chinese just aren't quite there yet at least on the large volume crown glasses.
Old 29-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Mark, even Ohara has a glass factory in China.

If you buy glass, you would buy it on it's specifications and gradings, including homogeneity grading. The chinese have the capability to make military grade glass.

I guess they also have the capability to cut corners and sell ungraded glass at a cheaper cost which is where the perception of lower quality comes from.
Old 29-11-2009, 02:43 PM
refracted1 (Rick)

Thank fellas for all your info I really appreciate it. I was a bit dismayed when I observed jupiter one night, it seemed so small, and almost unrecognisable. But like some of u said, i think it came down to poor seeing conditions, and a low quality eye piece and the " looking at big photo's of jupiter from a big telescope syndrome" which some of us beginners seem to inherit. Thank again guys for the info.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Get your self a 3x and a 2x barlow. with these two it will turn all you ep's into two ep's. 2x barlow and a 26mm ep=13mm ep.

With jupiter get a filter to tame the glare, I use an skyglow filter to cut down on the glare because jupiter is really bright. A moon filter will work as well. with any filter they are going to effect the colour that you see so jupiter might look a bit off colour.

Have fun.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Mark, even Ohara has a glass factory in China.

If you buy glass, you would buy it on it's specifications and gradings, including homogeneity grading. The chinese have the capability to make military grade glass.

I guess they also have the capability to cut corners and sell ungraded glass at a cheaper cost which is where the perception of lower quality comes from.
Schott are setting up in China too. I'd say if they are advertising Schott glass in a more expensive model then you would have to assume that the optical grade will be better.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I read that the glasses on the newer 120ED are exactly the same as on the older model, the only difference is that skywatcher negotiated a deal to use the schott name in their advertising.

I don't know if this is true, but I wouldn't discount it either.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
alfi (Alf david)

hi
your right, it is the same glas in all the syntha ED scopes, it is only a marketing deal with schott that is changed.

alfi
Old 04-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

As far as I know the Equinox range of scopes are only branded as "Skywatcher" but are actually made by someone else (probably Long Pern)

I just had my new Equinox80 fall out of my mount and onto the ground (ouch!, ouch!) and in trying to get some replacement parts - ie the focussing unit - I was informed that specifically that Synta does not produce the Equinox range in its own factory - so had no choice but to "throw away" the scope into the cupboard whilst I get the replacement parts machined/fabricated locally

Well it is a modern world and OEMing is quite rife these days especially when economies of scale is prime consideration

Cheers
Bill
Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
I read that the glasses on the newer 120ED are exactly the same as on the older model, the only difference is that skywatcher negotiated a deal to use the schott name in their advertising.
Why would they leak that kind of information even if it were true?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:25 PM
alfi (Alf david)

it dosent have to be leaked from them, there are many ways it can be leaked.

alfi
Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Why would they leak that kind of information even if it were true?
That's why I posted it with the disclaimer. I only read it on a cloudynights forum post with no link to the source. It might be true but then again it might not be as well.