Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2023, 12:44 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

27" iMac 5K 2020 & Pixinsight

Hi all - computer advice needed.

As the title suggests, I'm using my 2020 27" iMac with its lovely 5K display for my Pixinsight/PS astro-processing.

I've been drooling over these new M2 Macs, but I wondered if a RAM upgrade would be a cheaper, more feasible option for me right now in order to get the most out of PI on my current setup without spending thousands of dollars on a Mac Mini or Studio?

Current RAM is a measly 8Gb - this iMac can be upgraded to 128Gb for around $500

Suppose my question is what kind of difference an upgrade like that (8>>128Gb) would make to PI performance on this computer?

Any insights appreciated
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 12.15.36 am.jpg)
54.2 KB17 views

Last edited by dugnsuz; 03-08-2023 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

PI loves graphics cards
Old 03-08-2023, 10:00 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Imacs are nice to use, but as the screen contrast cannot be adjusted, they're useless for colour-calibrated results. I use one daily, but it's also driving a second Eizo graphics monitor for best results.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:12 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
PI loves graphics cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Imacs are nice to use, but as the screen contrast cannot be adjusted, they're useless for colour-calibrated results. I use one daily, but it's also driving a second Eizo graphics monitor for best results.

Thanks Nik & Andy - this iMac will be my main computer (or at least screen) for the forseable.

GPU not up-gradeable as hardwired in I think, so an increase in RAM seems like the only upgrade path open to me.

But question remains if an increased RAM would help processes such as WBPP run smoother, or is that CPU dependant?
Cheers
Doug
Old 03-08-2023, 10:21 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

More RAM always helps. 8G in this day and age is not enough, and image processing software always wants more.

I have 32G in my hackintosh and that's enough to handily run SiriL / AstroPixelProcessor / Affinity as required.

The only downside to the new Apple M chips is that the RAM and storage are 'hard-wired' and cannot be upgraded down the track.

Cheers,
V
Old 03-08-2023, 01:36 PM
ronson

Hi Doug,

For PixInsight generally the following order from one bottle neck to the other: CPU, RAM, HDD.

PixInsight doesn't use the full GPU power yet, limited only to few modules such as the Xterminator suite. Rumour is there might be new version coming where it uses GPU more across the different processes and scripts, but it's only a rumour at this point in time.

To answer your question - upgrading from 8GB of RAM will most likely lead to an improvement in the workflow, but how tangible it will be, don't really know. It will certainly reduce the reliance on the hard drive based swap file, especially if you are working with large and lots of files.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:42 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

On the new silicon based macs PI flies along
I'll be ugrading my 2012 15 inch 16gb ram macbook pro to the 14 inch macbook pro m2pro with 16gb ram which is used differently on these machines, PI loves them.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:37 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

PI has a nifty benchmark which will quantify it for you https://www.pixinsight.com/benchmark/index.php
Old 03-08-2023, 11:32 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

I have a 2017 iMac Pro with 64GB RAM outta factory. Last year I bought 256GB RAM pretty much exclusively for PI as I deal with ASI6200MM's 122MB subs (and usually hundreds of them).

After the 256GB upgrade PI's in heaven with the iMac Pro - the extra RAM has extended its life by quite a few years.

I did consider using the $$ to buy MacSi but until recently, the MacSi's were capped at their RAM and I needed RAM more than I needed speed (granted my iMac Pro has 18-cores Xeon).
Old 04-08-2023, 05:05 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Thanks all for the input - given that RAM is the only upgrade path open to me on this particular iMac, and as I'm running on close to bare minimum as is (8Gb), I've ordered 128Gb (4x32Gb) to max out this computer.
I'll post before and after PI benchmark when the chips arrive and are installed to see if it'll make any difference on this 2020 iMac

Cheers
Doug
Old 07-08-2023, 06:39 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Before and After PI Benchmark comparisons
8Gb v's 128Gb RAM
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PI Benchmark 8Gb RAM Large.jpeg)
144.6 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (PI Benchmark 128Gb RAM Large.jpeg)
146.3 KB41 views
Old 07-08-2023, 07:09 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
Before and After PI Benchmark comparisons
8Gb v's 128Gb RAM

So what's the difference? not sure how to read those benchmarks
Old 07-08-2023, 07:25 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Pity with the 8GB you didn't run it a few times. Would recommend running each setup a few times as it will change.

Also if you carve out a little bit of your RAM to be RAM drives and allocate tmp to the RAM drives, you should see better figures.

Having said that though, I get the impression the PI Benchmark hasn't been updated for a long time therefore the benchmarks don't necessarily represent a baseline on real performance.