Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

Question Bintel or Andrews GSO???

Hi all,

Just wondering on your personal experience/preference on these two brands. What Im looking at getting is the 10' Deluxe (Crayford Focuser/Fan inc) Dob but not sure which company to purchase from.

Both companies seem to be offering the Dob with plossls and a few filters included but there is quite a difference in price before quoting courier services. One shop is selling for AU$879.00 and the other at AU$699.00 and I was interested to see what others have to say about the two, is one higher quality or does one offer better after sales service? Different optical quality or better build? Any information would be helpful as I have read/reread and searched this site and others but would love to hear more if possible. Thanks in advance and hope to be seeing you all here from time to time.

Mike.

P.S: Yes Ving it was Andrews, very quick and polite too! Thanks!

Last edited by Mikezoom; 14-12-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 14-12-2005, 11:35 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hi mike,
GSO is the manufacturer of the dob, bintel relabel it and sell it (they are a shop). I am assuming that the other shop you got your price from is andrews communications?

there are differing oppinions on these shops. bintel for aftersales service and a great range of equipment, andrews for price... it comes down to what you prefer and what experience you have.

keep asking questions tho so we know where you are coming from
Old 14-12-2005, 12:15 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

These scopes are from the same factory. Dave has hit the nail on the head as far as the differences. If you know what you are doing then the cheaper option is great, if you are a beginner then the more expensive option may be better.

Cheers
Old 14-12-2005, 01:02 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Mike Zooooooom

$180 is quite a bit of difference.

One shop will check the scope for correct collimation before shipment, the other one won't. I personally wouldn't pay $180 to have a scope collimated when It will probably need it again after delivery anyway.

Oh, I nearly forgot, for the extra $180 you also get a shop sticker on it!

But for the extra, you get experienced after sales service.
Old 14-12-2005, 01:16 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Basically as pointed out, they are the same (excepting the label)...However,you also get someone who is knowledable that "checks" out the mirrors and ensures that you don't have any undue scratches or marks on them...

My preference is for the service...AUD$180 is a small price (IMO) to pay for peace of mind...
Old 14-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

Hi all again,

Thanks for such quick and informative responses guys Im leaning towards the Andrews price as my supposedly "better half" has put in her "two cents" and sounds quite convincing plus the extra $$$ could always go towards more EPs or mods for it hey? Can't wait for Feb now so hurry up time!!!

Mike.
Old 14-12-2005, 01:32 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

your "better half" shall hence forth be known as SWMBO
Old 14-12-2005, 01:38 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Welcome,

with the $180 you save, buy andrews 30mm ultra wide 80 degree 2" eyepiece.

Your wife will love it as it is very easy to look through, nice wide views. If your wife is like mine, she hates the little 6.5mm ep's as they have very short eye relief, but loves the big one. It is the one i use when friends come over and they get the oohs and ahhhhs.
Old 14-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

lol yes not obeying leads to damnation Ving, once again thanks for all the information and welcomes people . David that sounds like a great idea, will have to get her more interested and maybe then I will be able to think about buying a second bigger scope for her lol.

Mike.
Old 14-12-2005, 02:24 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

if you have a realistic view on astronomy, ie you don't expect to count the moons around pluto, then the 10" gs dob is a great starter for the next 5 - 10 years. You may decide you then want to spend $20,000 or even $65,000 like some forum members are in the process of doing after decades of study. They know what they want, they have taken years to study this next step up to the big time cost wise. They will therefore get great value for money!

For me, one of the most pleasurable things has been learning the basics. If i have jumped in with the biggest and best, then i would have missed the basics ie collimation, seeing conditions. I would not have got the value for money as there are so many factors that are out of your control, but some factors can be managed, but take some time to learn to overcome.

I was just talking to my wife last night, scope + toucam + motorized dob driver + plus some basic but good eyepieces = $2000.

i have just taken the next step in imaging today and for xmas, i am getting a 5x powermate worth $310 (xmas pressie from my mum & dad (although dad does not know about it yet))

So for a ceiling of $2500, i feel i am at a spending plateau for the moment. I could quite happily sit here for a long time perfecting tracking for deep space objects and planets.

I will eventually lift the quality of my eyepieces. But if i never do, then i will still be happy with my current cheap eyepieces.

In hindsight i am very proud of my $2000 investment. I have made great friends and enjoyed many hours of viewing and imaging on my computer.

Welcome to the dob club in feb, but more importantly to a great circle of friends who share a love of astronomy. We are here to help and advise and comment and fight with. There is a fanastic human spirit on this forum that i just wish would spill over into those "race" based problems in sydney lately and around the world.

There is so much up there to study and it keeps changing throught the year. Given that the conditions make it harder, then when you get that 3 or 4 great seeing nights over one year, then you really appreciate it.

I
Old 14-12-2005, 02:29 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I bought mine from Bintel, for the after sales service, knowledge of their staff and because the whole kit is checked before it goes out the door.

Collimation is handy to have done before, but it can and probably will require adjustments after you receive it anyway - so collimatino is a skill you will need to learn, regardless.

The deluxe model is worth the extra over the standard, too, so you're doing the right thing there.

It might be worth seeing if Bintel can give you a better deal (they did for me, when I bought mine almost 18 months ago) which will take it closer to the Andrews price and you get the extra benefits of the Bintel service.

Another thing to consider, while the GSO dobs have been the flavour of the last 12 months, you should also consider checking out MyAstroShop as they sell SkyWatcher dobs which are made by Synta and are reputed (by some) to be better quality than the GSO brand. They'll also do a good deal for you if you tell them you were recommended by IceInSpace.

I think it's worth throwing another option into the ring..
Old 14-12-2005, 03:04 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I bought my 8" Dob from Andrews and saved $150. But had I known then what I know now I would have bought from Bintel.

Bintel's current price on the premium 10" Dob is $799 not $879! And I believe you get a better, more useful, set of eyepieces with the Bintel Dob. There is variability in the quality of the components that make up these telescopes, so a dealer who is fussy about quality and has experience and keen attention to detail is worth paying a bit extra for.
Old 14-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Thiink

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
-snip-
But had I known then what I know now I would have bought from Bintel.
-snip-
Thats about the same as how I feel really.

Do the GSO 10" dobs from Andrews now come with a centre spot from the factory? If not, and you dont feel confident enough to centre spot your mirror yourself the extra $180 could be well worth it initially.
Old 14-12-2005, 05:36 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I bought my dob from Andrews. No probs at all. With the money you save, you can buy yourself a barlow so that you won't need anymore eps. ( for a while anyway ) Andrews throw in a 26mm 2" ep as well.
Old 14-12-2005, 05:47 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiink
Do the GSO 10" dobs from Andrews now come with a centre spot from the factory? If not, and you dont feel confident enough to centre spot your mirror yourself the extra $180 could be well worth it initially.
It's only $100 extra not $180.

Now I notice the price has come down only very recently, maybe even in response to comments posted here.
Old 14-12-2005, 10:00 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Come on Bintel, How about a special price for IceInSpace members. $750 sounds good!
Old 14-12-2005, 10:10 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

All,

Don't forget who has been a key sponsor of the 1 Year Anniversary Competition and now the Christmas Competition here at IIS (which I expect to win so don't bother entering now)...

That is Bintel...

Also remember how much they contribute to the local amateur astronomy scene...all of their employees are all very involved...

Like I said before, a little extra money spent with them does get re-invested in our hobby (passion/madness/insanity)...I have had good experiences in dealing with them...

Alternatively, although I have yet to be a patron, myastroshop is also a competition sponsor...

I like to support those who support me...
Old 14-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Stu
southcelestialpole.org

Yes Bintel is a sponsor, but I'll give them my money because they have the product I want. Then secondly because they have a shop in melbourne. I try and buy stuff from a shop in melbourne because I want to continue to have shops here. If I order things online then there is no need for shops and nowhere to see the scopes/EP's in person. In that case we night as well order everything direct from China.
Old 14-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott
All,

Don't forget who has been a key sponsor of the 1 Year Anniversary Competition and now the Christmas Competition here at IIS (which I expect to win so don't bother entering now)...

That is Bintel...
Good point

P.S. Dont listen to him Theres still 18.5 hours from this time to get your entry in.
Old 14-12-2005, 10:37 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Barnaby Joyce says 2003 UB313 is not a planet and will therefore not support the planet naming bill unless it is ammended.
What hope has poor little Ceres got then?

After all the recommendations and support this sight has given Andrews it would be good if he came to the party with some prize or something. (Hint Hint, Lee)