Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-07-2009, 08:05 AM
UK1 (Rob)

Question Camera settings for Jupiter bit of help if anyone can please

From time to time when clear ( lol ) I can get out side about 4-5 am and see Jupiter, got a few good one shot pics of Jupiter and 4 or 5 ? Moons Jupiter was just a whit disc, that was ok as the moons were very clear and sharp and all in a line.
Thinking of giving Jupiter a go on its own what ( I know people and equipment they all differ……….. I have 450d camera ..8" scope 2x barlow ) thoughts on settings to start with,
Saw some one say once start with 1/250 at 100 iso would that be a good starting point ? Is it possible to get images of surface with out many hours of auto guiding.
Many thanks
Old 25-07-2009, 09:15 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Hi Rob...

While it is possible to take planetary shots with a DSLR...it's really not the 'weapon of choice'.

Others will chime in here with what settings are best when taking a single shot of planets with a DSLR, but I'll suggest you lay your hands on something like a ToUcam (webcam) hooked up to a laptop and combined with your telescope to capture small videos called AVIs.

You can then take the single frames from this movie and stack them in free software to produce a single image which can then be further worked on in your photo editing software of choice.
Old 25-07-2009, 05:47 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Hi Rob...

While it is possible to take planetary shots with a DSLR...it's really not the 'weapon of choice'.

Others will chime in here with what settings are best when taking a single shot of planets with a DSLR, but I'll suggest you lay your hands on something like a ToUcam (webcam) hooked up to a laptop and combined with your telescope to capture small videos called AVIs.

You can then take the single frames from this movie and stack them in free software to produce a single image which can then be further worked on in your photo editing software of choice.
Are there any reasons you couldn't achieve the same thing by either (a) hooking the EOS to your laptop and instructing it to take a few hundred sequential shots then stacking them? or (b) using eos-movrec to record an AVI from the live view stream from the EOS then processing that?

Would the higher resolution of the DSLR give any better final quality compared to the CCD in the Phillips webcam?

I have both a 1000d and a SP900NC and also would like to know which is superior for planetary use with both .jpg or avi.
Old 25-07-2009, 06:07 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
Are there any reasons you couldn't achieve the same thing by either (a) hooking the EOS to your laptop and instructing it to take a few hundred sequential shots then stacking them? or (b) using eos-movrec to record an AVI from the live view stream from the EOS then processing that?

Would the higher resolution of the DSLR give any better final quality compared to the CCD in the Phillips webcam?

I have both a 1000d and a SP900NC and also would like to know which is superior for planetary use with both .jpg or avi.
Step 1: Compare the pros and cons of using a CCD sensor Vs a CMOS sensor for planetary imaging.

Step 2: Trawl this website (particularly the planetary imaging section) for hints/tips/discussion vis-a-vis planetary imaging.
Old 25-07-2009, 06:08 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Set your gear up and do a side-by-side comparison
Old 25-07-2009, 10:21 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Step 1: Compare the pros and cons of using a CCD sensor Vs a CMOS sensor for planetary imaging.

Step 2: Trawl this website (particularly the planetary imaging section) for hints/tips/discussion vis-a-vis planetary imaging.
Been there, done that.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Old 25-07-2009, 10:36 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Been there, done that.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Oh well...I tried.

Anyone else brave enough to offer something else?

Last edited by matt; 26-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 26-07-2009, 08:02 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Seen this article my Iceman? http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-306-0-0-1-0.html

Taking a few hundred SLR shots takes quite a while.
Using a webcam you can get thousands of frames in a (relatively) short time.
Old 26-07-2009, 12:08 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Seen this article my Iceman? http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-306-0-0-1-0.html

Taking a few hundred SLR shots takes quite a while.
Using a webcam you can get thousands of frames in a (relatively) short time.
I think I may have inadvertently hijacked the thread, My apologies to the OP.

My comment/question was more directed at whether the major difference in DSLR sensor pixel numbers (12MB vs 1.3 or so) was of value to a Jupiter image, which has little need of sensitivity.

Thanks anyway for the reply.
Old 27-07-2009, 07:17 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hey Rob. I've never tried my 450D on the planets as I think the frame rate may be too slow.

But, if you want, you can try out my Philips SPC900NC Webcam (with UV/IR filter) as I'm not using it at the moment.

This is because of the "pool construction" going on in my back yard. Lots of building rubbish & dust ..no scope for awhile.

So, if you want...go for it. I can give you the software I've used & links to "how too's"..i can help a little... but I'm pretty flat out otherwise.

Brendan