Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

A Duet from Suburbia

My attempt at this classic pairing.

A two panel HaO3RGB mosaic taken from suburban Melbourne, Vic.
No idea why I do this to myself, the gradients are a nightmare to process!
Hats off to Peter Ward and anyone else that regularly images in LRGB under LP, the processing is hard going!
Anyway I’ve attempted to show some of the intriguing Ha and O3 rich structures and balance these with RGB stars as Luminance.

I confess I got a bit lazy and stripped in an old rgb 47 tuc image I took years ago. Although I do have a series of short 60 sec subs that I could add for the core instead with sufficient motivation.

The link is here - https://www.astrobin.com/full/324534/C/

I’m curious as to how others process LRGB in PS. Do you stretch each filtered stack, and apply gradient removal to each before combining as RGB or do you combine to RGB then attempt gradient removal?
Making a mosaic only adds to the degree of difficulty already present!

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as always
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C1F981C9-5956-4A0E-A60F-0156515C268C.jpg)
81.4 KB89 views
Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Andy,

Detail looks good. The image on Astrobin is untagged and also has a weird red stripe a couple of pixels wide up the left hand side. I'll save any comments on the colour until I know what colour space it should be in!

Props for having a go at LRGB from the city

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Really nice work from suburbia Andy, overall a pretty cool mosaic and good idea combining the old 47 Tuc data too. Yes combining RGB with Ha&OIII from light poluted skies is indeed a tricky business I've had some success, my best example is probably an M42 shot from inner Newcastle ..so it can be done ...as to the details sheesh, I dunno , I've just winged it mate lots of blends and mixes until it kinda looked right

Mike
Old 04-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Hi Andy,

Detail looks good. The image on Astrobin is untagged and also has a weird red stripe a couple of pixels wide up the left hand side. I'll save any comments on the colour until I know what colour space it should be in!

Props for having a go at LRGB from the city

Cheers,
Rick.
Hey Rick,
Thanks for chiming in, I reckon the red stripe is just a minor cropping issue - it's in Adobe RGB 1998.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Really nice work from suburbia Andy, overall a pretty cool mosaic and good idea combining the old 47 Tuc data too. Yes combining RGB with Ha&OIII from light poluted skies is indeed a tricky business I've had some success, my best example is probably an M42 shot from inner Newcastle ..so it can be done ...as to the details sheesh, I dunno , I've just winged it mate lots of blends and mixes until it kinda looked right

Mike
Cheers Mike - that's one heckuva great result on your M42 there!

I used Colin's recent excellent LRGB example as a benchmark for the RGB layer, then I added in Ha & O3 layers with an Andyfied version of the Cannistra Bicolour technique and a bit of Marco Lorenzi processing, revisiting the data several times before I was happy to post it here.

BTW, this about 20 odd hrs data - seems that under LP having more is better...

I have yet to process an entire 6 panel ARA SNR HaRGB image dataset. I'm hoping to get some tips on processing RGB under LP with gradients before setting off on that journey....

Last edited by Andy01; 05-12-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: updated
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

stick with it Andy....this is a very respectable image.

Accurate flats....for each filter...will help further tame gradients, but they will always be more pronounced with a wider field. That said, there are excellent software tools now available that do the job well.

I think the field could be wider...to better frame the subject, but this is a minor quibble at best.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Been waiting for you to finish this one Andy, looks good! You’ve managed a better Ha colour that mine, more of that salmon colour as opposed to the deep red.could possibly show the OIII signal a bit stronger but that’s personal taste and combination methods.

I’ve ATTEMPTED LRGB from Melbourne, anyone that gets that done well gets a double from me
Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Nice one Andy. Not sure if the glob adds to the image or detracts from it, as youre the composition guru im sure you know better than me! In any case its probably far too close to the edge. Onya for trying rgb from the burbs!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
stick with it Andy....this is a very respectable image.

Accurate flats....for each filter...will help further tame gradients, but they will always be more pronounced with a wider field. That said, there are excellent software tools now available that do the job well.

I think the field could be wider...to better frame the subject, but this is a minor quibble at best.
Thanks Peter!
I use a lightbox for the flats, taking seperate ones for each filter - but maybe there's something I can improve there... not sure what yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Been waiting for you to finish this one Andy, looks good! You’ve managed a better Ha colour that mine, more of that salmon colour as opposed to the deep red.could possibly show the OIII signal a bit stronger but that’s personal taste and combination methods.

I’ve ATTEMPTED LRGB from Melbourne, anyone that gets that done well gets a double from me
Cheers Colin - Looking at your image I'm thinking NGC 267 is a standalone target for my RC8 when I get all the bits for it sorted out.
Thanks for good vibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Nice one Andy. Not sure if the glob adds to the image or detracts from it, as youre the composition guru im sure you know better than me! In any case its probably far too close to the edge. Onya for trying rgb from the burbs!
Cheers Simmo - yes I agree with both you and Peter above, the composition is too tight!

Next time I'll extend it out but not this year - I'm keen to move on to another target and back to the safety of NB this time too
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Nice composition and detail Andy (and Colin).
Very brave of you to do that in the burbs.
Onwards and upwards.
Bo