Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Hello all

Hi all, having had a interest in astronomy since i was a kid im still a beginner. Over the past few years ive been using a telescope thats really only good for looking at the moon, so now its time to upgrade.

Am thinking of getting a Saxon Dob 8 - 200mm (8 inch) Reflecting telescope system or a Dob 10"

Is there any other scopes that anyone would recommend for viewng stars/planets/clusters.

cheers
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Hi Paula, welcome to IIS

Either a 8" or 10" dob of any brand will be a good purchase for a beginner. Plenty of aperture to pull in all that light. Now, it's just a matter of what brand and what extras you want. But more importantly, how much are you willing to spend on it. You can get goto dobs which will track objects you look for, open (truss) tube scopes, closed tube scopes...all sorts of scopes within your size range and above.

So, how much are you willing to spend on a scope?? That way, we can advise you more closely as to what is available.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Hi Paula, and welcome

Both of those telescopes which you mention will expand your viewing experiences. If you can stretch your budget to a 10", that would be my preference, however there are a few things to consider. Do you plan to transport the scope in your car? Or are you happy to observe from the backyard. Generally, Dobsonians can be tricky to transport, depending on the type and design. Some are more compact than other. Both the Saxon 8" and 10" Dob are both "Newtonian Reflectors" but the Dobsonian is mounted on a simple "lazy Susan-style" mount. Don't dismiss them, as you get more mirror aperture for your $$ ("more bang for your buck is the term you'll read here a lot")

Incidentally what scope have you been using? (Presumable not a lot in this terrible Melbourne weather ) Tell us about the scope and your experiences with it? But the sounds of it you've been concentrating on the Moon only? did you have problems seeing other objects?

If you get the chance, try to duck into BinTel in Camberwell. They always have some Dobsonians set up in the show room. The guys there are very knowledgeable and when you see the telescopes "in the flesh" you'll appreciate their size, weight and portability. The other retailer with a good reputation is Andrews in Sydney.

The other goodies highly recommended by members here are Stellarium - free planetarium software, and have you considered a pair of binoculars? A very valuable piece of gear to own. You can spend hours on a banana lounge sweeping the Milky Way with a pair of binos.

If you don't want to jumping into a scope purchase just yes (although it sounds like you'e itching to move up to you're next telescope) perhaps contact the Astronomical Society of Victoria or the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society if you're down that way.

Paula, there is so much info and advice available these day. I've just rolled off a snippit. Other members will jump in and pass on their valuable advice.

Regards,
Stephen
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
tomabin (Tom)

Gday, welcome.

I just bought a Bintel 8" dob, my first scope, AMAZING! Wasn't expecting such clear images of the moon and Saturn. I've only had one chance to use it so far due to weather but I would certainly recommend one from what I've seen. A 10" would be even better, although quite hefty.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Thanks for all your replies, ive only been using a star tracker 50mm which is ok for looking at the moon and thats about it. Everything else looks like a white dot.

Looking to spend up to about $650 and the best bang for buck seems to be the 8" or 10" dob.

Ive download the stellarium and also looking at heading out to the mornington peninsula astronomical society as im out in outer south melbourne
Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Paula, you're on you're way to some exciting times. Yep, most amateurs start out with the good ol' 50 or 60mm refractor. It doesn't take long to get the taste for more!

Keep us posted on your purchases and first light.

Regards,
Stephen
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Forgey (Paula)

What are everyones thoughts on the Celestron NexStar 130 SLT Computerized Reflector Telescope? would i still get a good some good viewing?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
tomabin (Tom)

From what I understand, when buying robotic scopes it tends to be a matter of optics vs convenience. Manufacturing computers and motors etc can be expensive where-as without them, the cost goes into better optics. But there is also the matter of size and portability and the ability to let the computers do all the searching for you. Don't take my word for it as I too am a very new astronomer, but if you strive for the best end result, I would go with as big aperture as you can afford.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
leon

Paula, forget about the fancy bits and pieces and put your money into the best optics you can afford, the rest will come as you gain experience.

Leon
Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Paula, Like Tom and Leon have indicated, for the similar cost you'll get either fancy GOTO electronics and a small aperture (mirror size), or a big aperture and no electronics.

So the Celestron 130 SLT is at Andrews for $799 - Yes you get a computerised GOTO system but the mirror is only 130mm (5") diameter.

A Skywatcher collapsable "Flexitube Dobsonian" 8" for $599 - That's no computerised electronics but a mirror diamter of 8" (200mm) diameter.

A similar telescope at Andrews is the Guan Sheng (GSO) GS-680 8" for $499! - Again, no computerised electronics but a mirror diamter of 8" (200mm) diameter.

In my opinion, I think it is best to learn with a telescope with no fancy GOTO/tracking features and as big a mirror as you can afford. Why? You are forced to learn how to find your ways around the sky and navigate without relying on electronics. Some people are different. Some are happy to buy a scope with GOTO/tracking capabilities, and there's nothing wrong with that. But learning to find your way around the night sky from a star atlas or even a smartphone app is a great way to learn the constellations, and where various objects are located.

Now, if you were to buy option 1, 130mm diameter with GOTO features. It's still a relatively small diameter and I could see you wanting to trade up to bigger one in the near future. You are going to be limited with the amount of deep sky objects you'll see from even the best suburban skies, such as galaxies, nebulae and star clusters. It will be a very short list. BUT, if you need ultra portability from a telescope, say, something that will fit on the floor in the back seat of a car (and that's all the room you can afford to sacrifice), then a 130mm SLT is what you need to get.

Anything from an 8" or 10" and bigger will blow you away, compared to what you've used previously.

Remember, one of the most important aspect of a mirror is "light gathering power". The more light you can capture, the brighter the object and more detail you will see for a given object.

Just my 2c

Regards,
Stephen

Last edited by stephenb; 12-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Thanks for the input guys, im more interested in the auto tracking not the GoTo as i would like to get in to photos.
I took this pic of the moon with my star tracker 50mm

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P3180239.jpg)
120.1 KB21 views
Old 13-07-2011, 02:42 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgey View Post
Thanks for the input guys, im more interested in the auto tracking not the GoTo as i would like to get in to photos.
I took this pic of the moon with my star tracker 50mm

The autotracking and goto, most of the time, come together. Goto will make things a little more convenient when looking for targets.
Old 15-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Well after long thought have decided to get the Deluxe 10" GSO Dobsonian from Andrews. Will hopefully get one ordered next week if they still have one left otherwise ill just get the Guan Sheng 10" f/5 Limited Dobsonian telescope.

Cant wait i'm so excited !
Old 15-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Hi Paula,

I almost ordered the same scope on Wednesday. i spoke to Luke from Andrews and he confirmed they do have one left in stock. As the postage was higher than excepcted, i ordered the Limited 10" to save the extra for freight.

If you're set on that scope, ring them asap and they can hold it for a week for you if need be. I'd hate to see you miss out now you've made your decision. I put myself thru hell getting to that point and would have totally spat the dummy if I'd missed out.

Now GO GO GO and then come back and tell us what happened

actually, given the time perhaps try in the morning
Old 15-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Thanks Mel, i spoke to them yesterday and he said there was 1 or 2 left, been waiting a week for my tax return, i might see if they can hold it for me if not ill just get the limited 10"
Old 16-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Mliss (Mel)

tax time... they must noticing an increase in sales this time of the year love it!! I hope you don't have to wait too long.

and it IS TOTALLY exciting
Old 17-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Sylvain (Jon)
Stars Chaser

Gday and Welcome!

You've got some good things in your sight! Very well suited for beginners, you shouldn't be disappointed
And in case you don't find yourself loving this hobby or not going out as much as you'd like to, these scopes will sell very easily on IIS

Welcome and be prepared to be amazed!
Old 18-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Forgey (Paula)

Thanks Mel and Sylvian

I Have just placed my order with Andrews the GSO Deluxe 10" f/5 Dobsonian telescope!, should have have it on wednesday, so excited cant wait !
Old 18-07-2011, 01:13 PM
scagman (John)

Congrats.

Hopefully you will get clears skies so you can get a chance to use it
Old 20-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Telescope arrived today, now i just have to wait for clear skies