Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 10:57 PM
johnnyt123 (John)

Is QSI 683wsg-8 still current and worthwhile?

Hi everyone.

I have all this astro gear just sitting around gathering dust. I have been away from the hobby for several years now.
I want to get back into it and the best camera I have is QSI 683wsg-8 for deep space astrophotography.
What I want to ask is if it is still considered to be a good camera or if it’s time for an something better?
If you think it’s better to upgrade then any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

John

Last edited by johnnyt123; 09-11-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:41 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

My QSI683 has been going strong for six years now and still pumping out excellent data. Mine is coupled to a Tak TSA120 and obviously a lot will depend on the OTA to be used and the focuser etc.

Having said that, I have been pondering the purchase of a ZWO ASI2600 which would match nicely with the TSA120. Importantly though, if you have the QSI and all the bits to make it work, it is still a great Astro camera so why not give it a shot? Drop into my Astrobin site and check out some of my postings taken with the QSI.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:52 AM
johnnyt123 (John)

Thanks for your response Rodney.

I remember my main problem with this camera was combining the data together, there was slight discrepancies with the focal lengths using different filters which are supposed to be parfocal, and i could never ger great images, just good enough images even after spending countless hours processing it all.
This was dismaying and it was for this reason i kind of gave up on astrophotography.

But i will check out your astrobin page and see what gems you got there.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:56 AM
johnnyt123 (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
My QSI683 has been going strong for six years now and still pumping out excellent data. Mine is coupled to a Tak TSA120 and obviously a lot will depend on the OTA to be used and the focuser etc.

Having said that, I have been pondering the purchase of a ZWO ASI2600 which would match nicely with the TSA120. Importantly though, if you have the QSI and all the bits to make it work, it is still a great Astro camera so why not give it a shot? Drop into my Astrobin site and check out some of my postings taken with the QSI.
Mate your pics are stunning.

just want to ask is there any way to search nly for pics you took using QSI 683?
Old 09-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyt123 View Post

just want to ask is there any way to search nly for pics you took using QSI 683?
There should be but I just tried some of the search functions and they are clearly not working. There is a SORT function on each users page that should allow for the sorting of images by equipment type. I tried it on my page and it doesn’t work. You can also go via the main menu by clicking on Explore -> Advanced Search but I found the thisndid not work as expected. Feel free to give it a shot though, it may be just me.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:19 AM
johnnyt123 (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
There should be but I just tried some of the search functions and they are clearly not working. There is a SORT function on each users page that should allow for the sorting of images by equipment type. I tried it on my page and it doesn’t work. You can also go via the main menu by clicking on Explore -> Advanced Search but I found the thisndid not work as expected. Feel free to give it a shot though, it may be just me.
Thanks. I will give it a try.