Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2012, 12:54 PM
tornado33

Comet Lovejoy very faint Jan 12.

Was cool and very clear last night. Comet Lovejoy is now very faint, Id say well below the surface brightness of the surrounds of the Horsehead Nebula.

Image is 10x5 mins ISO200. 300mm f2.8 lens from Bert @f3.5. UV/IR filter. Modded 350D. A coolish 18 degrees for midsummer early evening.

Larger version here

I think the Comet Lovejoy show is just about over as it heads off for the cold of deep space.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lovejoy10x5minsiso200uvirmod350d300f3.5x12jan12x18deg.jpg)
185.7 KB53 views
Old 13-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Lester

Good capture Scott as this comet fades into the distance. Interesting what you say about the brightness, as two have reported to have seen it still with averted vision.

All the best.
Old 13-01-2012, 01:08 PM
tornado33

Thanks Lester
I guess with it far from any bright stars it may be easier to see visually, where the Horsehead has those bright stars nearby. I know that with 50 mins of time I could certainly get brighter nebulosity around the Horsehead then this comet now.
Scott
Old 13-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Rob_K

Yes it's interesting (nice shot by the way Scott!). Hard to imagine how something so photographically faint could be seen naked-eye, but I'm one of the observers that saw it (averted vision) and I was very, very surprised. So far I've seen reports of five people who tried to observe it. From Victoria, myself, Adam Marsh and a chap from Cheltenham were able to make it out in averted vision as far as the outskirts of the LMC. Jim Gifford in WA was unable to see it. Ian Cooper from NZ saw it in averted vision and was just able to hold the brighter part in direct vision. Four out of five so far, go figure!

Last night the sky was briefly quite dark but still not completely free from the twilight/moonlight combination. Will be interesting to see what happens tonight onwards in dark skies.

Cheers -
Old 14-01-2012, 09:47 PM
zardos123 (Brad)
new telescope....old eyes

nicely done scott

brad
Old 14-01-2012, 09:49 PM
gregbradley

It looks like its evaporated and thats the remaining dissipating gas/dust/water vapour that was left over from the original comet.

Greg.