Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

AG optical iDK 14.5 on order :)

I finally took the plunge and ordered a scope. i decided against the planewave and took the road less travelled, AG optical. the owner Dave Tandy was unbelievably responsive to questions, and i talked with a few of his customers and each one had nothing but praise for the product and the service. i believe i will be taking delivery of the first AG iDK in Australia but i could be wrong. some of the reasons which pushed me over the edge with AG is the fact that they provide an interferometry report on the optics, have a reasonably priced rotator focuser upgrade (OPTEC Gemini), slightly larger aperture, faster scope (6.7) and a quartz primary and secondary. I am very much looking forward to first light which will be in around 4 -5 months
Old 29-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Congratulations, Aidan.

They look beautiful instruments!

H
Old 29-08-2015, 11:44 PM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
I finally took the plunge and ordered a scope. i decided against the planewave and took the road less travelled, AG optical. the owner Dave Tandy was unbelievably responsive to questions, and i talked with a few of his customers and each one had nothing but praise for the product and the service. i believe i will be taking delivery of the first AG iDK in Australia but i could be wrong. some of the reasons which pushed me over the edge with AG is the fact that they provide an interferometry report on the optics, have a reasonably priced rotator focuser upgrade (OPTEC Gemini), slightly larger aperture, faster scope (6.7) and a quartz primary and secondary. I am very much looking forward to first light which will be in around 4 -5 months
Fun times ahead, looking forward to seeing what it can do.
Old 29-08-2015, 11:49 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Congratulations, Aidan.

They look beautiful instruments!

H
Thanks H, they do look great, and it will match my MX beautifully, the wife will be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNoob View Post
Fun times ahead, looking forward to seeing what it can do.
Me too Chris, you will have to take a trip to Berry at some time and check it out.
Old 29-08-2015, 11:49 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Awesome.

That's going to go nicely atop the new mount.
Old 30-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Awesome.

That's going to go nicely atop the new mount.
it absolutely will, the original plan was to put a GSO RC 14 on an EQ8 (still a great kit for the money), but hey, this hobby sure knows how to eat cash
Old 30-08-2015, 12:48 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

proof will be in the pudding to be sure. Can't wait to see first light images.
Old 30-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Paul Haese

I have looked at these scopes from time to time and thought they represented good value for money. I will be very interested in seeing how you go with it. I had thought this might be the successor to the RC12 at some point. Though I was looking at their 17"model.

Just one concern though. Am I right in thinking that you are using this scope on an MX? I don't think the MX will carry it with a sizeable camera on board and rotator focusor. My MX carries the RC12 with the large payload I have got but only has 10 or so Kg's to spare and even then I don't think it handles the weight really well. I had to work hard on getting the guide settings right. Just hoping you are going to be using it on a bigger mount.
Old 30-08-2015, 12:59 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I have looked at these scopes from time to time and thought they represented good value for money. I will be very interested in seeing how you go with it. I had thought this might be the successor to the RC12 at some point. Though I was looking at their 17"model.

Just one concern though. Am I right in thinking that you are using this scope on an MX? I don't think the MX will carry it with a sizeable camera on board and rotator focusor. My MX carries the RC12 with the large payload I have got but only has 10 or so Kg's to spare and even then I don't think it handles the weight really well. I had to work hard on getting the guide settings right. Just hoping you are going to be using it on a bigger mount.
it is going on an MX, the weight plus focuser, and all accessories is 58 pounds. i plan on keeping the imaging train fairly light, no permanent refractor piggy backed, and an OAG. so it looks like i have about 20kgs before i hit Max load on the mount, with max 5 taken up by an imaging train.
i definitely dont want to overstress the mount, but at the same time i do want the biggest aperture i can manage. i do have the option to drop down to the 12.5 ... but i would like to stay with the 14.5 if it can handle it ... what do you think?
Old 30-08-2015, 01:11 AM
Paul Haese

Wow I would have thought it was heavier than that. Well if you have 20kg then it should be good to go. Like I said keen to see what the results will be.
Old 30-08-2015, 01:18 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Wow I would have thought it was heavier than that. Well if you have 20kg then it should be good to go. Like I said keen to see what the results will be.
Yeah, it is similar in weight to the planewave cdk 14 , I believe they are designed for the mx and the Ap 1100 , there is a big weight jump to the 17 At 110 pounds
Old 30-08-2015, 03:38 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Yes congrats, can't wait to hear your reports and SEE the results
Old 30-08-2015, 05:31 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Yes congrats, great scope. Personally can't see the logic of that scope in light polluted Sydney but I suppose it will be used for narrowband imaging. Enjoy.
Old 30-08-2015, 08:25 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Are you getting the original MX or the new MX+? The latter does carry more weight and has larger motors and an overall design similar to the MEII.

Good luck with the new combo!

Peter
Old 30-08-2015, 08:40 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Congrats Aidan! Looks like a good choice! Wonder if anyone one else in Oz has an AGO(?)

Looking forward to the commissioning thread & first light result!

Cheers, Marcus
Old 30-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Thanks Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Yes congrats, great scope. Personally can't see the logic of that scope in light polluted Sydney but I suppose it will be used for narrowband imaging. Enjoy.
it will be located in my dark location, not Sydney, where i should be able to make the most of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Are you getting the original MX or the new MX+? The latter does carry more weight and has larger motors and an overall design similar to the MEII.

Good luck with the new combo!

Peter
Thanks Peter, it will be on a MX+

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Congrats Aidan! Looks like a good choice! Wonder if anyone one else in Oz has an AGO(?)

Looking forward to the commissioning thread & first light result!

Cheers, Marcus
Thanks Marcus, i don't believe so, i think this is their first delivery out here.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 PM
gregbradley

Congrats on your purchase. I think that will be a fine scope.

MX+ would be the way to go or AP1100.

Greg.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I think that will be a fine scope.

MX+ would be the way to go or AP1100.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, i have my MX+ arriving early next week, so that is what it will sit on. the scope is scheduled to arrive around Christmas.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:54 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Best. Christmas. Ever.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:05 AM
DJT (David)

Awesome. In the words of Russell Crowe in Master and Comander, I wish you joy of your new scope/mount.

Historically, in the Patrick O'Brian novels, Jack (aka Russell Crowe) was also a keen and devoted amateur astronomer who took mirror grinding classes from Herschels sister..

Either way, enjoy!