Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2016, 07:59 PM
StuTodd

Celestron C9.25 dovetail issue

I have just got a Celestron dovetail for my 9.25.
The problem is that the bar isn't long enough (or the holes are wrongly spaced).
The bar I purchased is 440mm, the C9.25 front to rear cell hole distance is 440mm!
The 440mm long bar seems to be correct going by OPT website etc so I don't know what is going on

I think my C9.25 is an old one, possibly 2007 or so. Have Celestron changed the hole distances since 2007 or am I being stupid and missed something obvious?

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (s-l1600.jpg)
16.8 KB4 views

Last edited by StuTodd; 11-10-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-10-2016, 08:25 PM
StuTodd

So apparently the pre 2008 C9.25s are longer than later ones.
Now to find an old D style dovetail...

Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I measured mine - yours should between 453 - 456 mm long. I must say the wider bars were a lot more stable than the thinner dovetails and the Losmandy D dovetails were even far more rigid.

I bought my Losmandy D dovetails from Bintel in Glebe Sydney www.bintel.com.au

You probably want this http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx

Measure carefully and call them - they list both the old and new style plates - there is about 12mm difference between the two - the newer ones Tube are shorter!

Also note if you are supplying your own bolts (these don't come with the Losmandy dovetails - and I moved my wider orange rail to the top of the OTA and placed the Losmandy D saddle at the bottom - took several trips to speciality nut and bolt wareshouses until I found a match!):

1. Make sure the bolts selected are stainless steel - and that they are not so long that they will protrude into the OAT and hit the mirror at the rear when it racks in and out - else major destruction - cut them appropriately to size and file the end smooth (and if you wish after cutting and filing paint the end of the bolts black to stop light scatter!

2. From memory the front bolt is a very special one - only one nut speciality store in Sydney (near Paramater stocked them) - they are stainless steel and a common width - but a very unsual pitch and thirdly a very special thread size - apparently mainly reserved for American gun sight mountings (8 / 32), but the thread width was distinctly unusual. If you get totally stuck message me - I may have a spare - but I will have to search my astro lab for them. The rear nuts are different again - but a bit easier to source!

Finally - if you have to cut stainless steel nuts down and haven't done that before - you place two or three nuts on them and use this to hold them tightly in a vise - then cut them to size. The you take it out of the vice and slowly take the nuts on and off a few times - so smooth out the cut thread - then your gentyly file them down so there is no sharp edges left and wipe any residual steel dust off the ends!

Last edited by g__day; 11-10-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 AM
StuTodd

I think you're correct Matthew, so I'm going to use my original (new purchase but too small) dovetail for the C9.25 as a guide scope rail. I have found a decent match on the rear cell to be an M4 bolt.

I will Araldite the front end to the scope as it reaches the front plate by 7mm so will support the Vixen 60mm guider without flexure.

Sorry, it took so long to reply lol...

Last edited by StuTodd; 04-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:09 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Wow this is a blast from the past! I thought when I saw it re-occur is was a new query that I recalled the answer to. Was surprised when I saw my old reply to it