Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

ASA DDM 60 Review

Well after Suavi laid mention to it, I figured it was about time to actually sit down and write out a review of the DDM60. Had it out a number of times, evidently not as much as I would have liked in the last 7 weeks but I think I have bought (yes bought) a tsunami of rain with me from Austria

I am going to start with the cons as they’re few (not a few btw!). The biggest difficulty that I have had is getting the tripod aligned accurately! This isn’t an issue with the mount as such, more so the way the mounting plate connects to the tripod. The mounting plate works as a tip/tilt; it has four bolts which allow 2.4º movement, for the most part I actually really like this system as it is very easy to accurate fine adjustments. For whatever reason, I am horrible at getting the tripod pointing in the correct direction, this was never an issue with the HEQ5 or EQ6 as there was a LOT of allowable movement in azimuth. The only part of my backyard that has decent views of the sky appears to also have a bit of magnetic interference, the needle moves around a bit as I do. To combat this I basically end up lifting up everything a fraction and rotating the tripod itself to compensate for the azimuth until it is close. Luckily finding out how far I am out only takes about 20s though.

One other issue I have noted is software related during the PA alignment process, that simply being that plate solving doesn’t work well when there is a large error. In a whole these “issues” are really quite minor. An issue with plate solving and my inability to accurately put down a tripod Still, having a secondary “rough” movement in azimuth would be preferred and has been sounding for a while among the DDM60 community.

One of the biggest issues (which after years of talk may FINALLY be being resolved) is the documentation. Within the last two months the ASA Community has started building a comprehensive documentation on ASA stuff, how-to’s and the like. ASA has always come across to me as a company that for years dealt with the professional community and lacks experience with the in some respects more demanding amateur community. For instance the balance tool, which is arguably one of the most important parts of setting up, is mentioned in the manuals but not actually discussed! Mentioned so far as “The balance tool is in the Drive Menu” and “After the telescope has been balanced” with no mention of the in-between.

Moving on however!

The build quality of everything is of a very high standard as it to be expected. Everything arrived very well padded, eventually had to cut the mount out of its foam; tried gently removing it to use as a padded box but that failed! Excellent for shipping, not so much as a padded box for the long haul.

Software:

Software wise, I had no issues at all getting everything to talk to one another. After downloading the ASCOM driver for the mount it talked to Maxim DL and TSX without a hitch. The main mount driver software is Autoslew is in some respects quite basic from the whole planetarium aspect. It is more or less purely for controlling the mount itself behind the scenes. The experience as a whole works best when using TheSky as a planetarium.

The other software package that comes with it is called Sequence, it requires Maxim DL to run as it uses it for Plate Solving and camera control. It is used for creating sky models not dissimilar to that of T-Point in TSX. Works well and quick, documentation sucks but it does allow for simulation modes for testing and learning the software.

Mount:

The mount itself is lovely to use. Moves completely silently, when I’m on the laptop I only hear it moving around by the fan on my QHY22! It is quick and smooth enough that I can do a 16 point model in TSX in 1:55 (I find using TSX for rough polar alignment considerably easier than the alignment routines in Autoslew and Sequence). Even when doing the accurate polar alignment in Autoslew, TSX makes life so much easier!

Tracking accuracy is obviously very good. At this stage all I do is a 12 point model, 6 points both side of the sky and that allows for 600s exposures with nice perfectly round stars at any part of the sky; one of the benefits of imaging at 660mm. For the longer focal length scopes there is a function in Sequence which does a virtual track of what you’re going to image across the sky. You input how long you’re going to be imaging it for (e.g. 4 hours) and the number of images you want to track it for (20 for example) and it’ll take an image for what would account for every 12 minutes, plate solve every shot and then calculate the tracking error for both RA and DEC. If enough images are taken every repeatable error (mirror flop, focuser flexure and the like) can be accounted for. Still, easy at 660mm

There is still a lot more playing around I need to do with the mount but, like the rest of us, I need some clear non raining skies! Would add some pictures but I don’t actually have any to add! Will add more to this thread as I think of more to add to it.
Old 27-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Colin for writing your impressions with your new mount. Accurate, reliable and smooth tracking and quiet operation - sounds perfect to me! Same as with every precision instrument it takes time to master it, so I am confident that limited documentation and readjusting the positioning of the mount in the initial alignment routine are in fact minor complications and will very soon become issues of the past.

All in all it is a great mount and from what you wrote is sounds that it has brought more fun to your adventures with astro imaging

As for the pictures, I think our etiquette requires that... LOL

Maybe a photo of NEQ6 next to ASA? Many of us here use EQ6 or similar and it would be interesting to see how the two visually compare
Old 27-09-2016, 09:11 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Thanks for the review, Colin. I want pics too
Old 27-09-2016, 09:29 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Been super busy at work but here is the EQ6, DDM60 and HEQ5 from left to right. Everything sitting in "astro corner"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0092.jpg)
193.4 KB247 views
Old 01-10-2016, 05:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Ahhh! My neck!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Ahhh! My neck!!!
Ima sorry! Both my iPad and iPhone do nasty things
Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

The new mount certainly is a quality product, even the base looks much more substantial, not to mention the solid tripod as opposed to "skinny legged" tripod under EQ6/HEQ5. Top mount Colin
Old 09-10-2016, 08:50 AM
atalas

Wow,the virtual track routine sounds interesting....how long does that take Col?
Seems like you'd have to take an exposure of your sub length at every start point and finish point in the sky, of each series to get the best out of It?that wouldn't be very practical?and with different sky condition changing all the time?

Have you done a virtual test yet?

Anyway the mounts sounds great I just new It was you who brought all the clouds around
Old 09-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Ima sorry! Both my iPad and iPhone do nasty things
Not really the ipad/iphone issue Colin; if the image is more than 500 pixels high they are automatically rotated around to be horizontal!

Nice mount! you the one that brought the rains over here in WA?

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 09-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
The new mount certainly is a quality product, even the base looks much more substantial, not to mention the solid tripod as opposed to "skinny legged" tripod under EQ6/HEQ5. Top mount Colin
The Berleback Planet is just a tad more stable than the HEQ5/6 tripod. The finish of the mount just feels of higher quality than the HEQ5/6 but that is to be expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atalas View Post
Wow,the virtual track routine sounds interesting....how long does that take Col?
Seems like you'd have to take an exposure of your sub length at every start point and finish point in the sky, of each series to get the best out of It?that wouldn't be very practical?and with different sky condition changing all the time?

Have you done a virtual test yet?

Anyway the mounts sounds great I just new It was you who brought all the clouds around
Actually not really sure how long it takes as I've only ever used it once to see how it worked hehe I generally spend about 10 minutes making a 30 point sky model (15 each side of the meridian) and that'll give me 10-15 minute exposures across the whole sky without any issues.

When it does the target modelling, for me I wouldn't need too much as I am imaging at 656mm. If I wanted to image one target for 6 hours I would probably do 18 shots so that would take about 3 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Not really the ipad/iphone issue Colin; if the image is more than 500 pixels high they are automatically rotated around to be horizontal!

Nice mount! you the one that brought the rains over here in WA?

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Oh I didn't know that!! I guess I should take them landscape and not portrait then
I only bring the rain to SE Aus, the west is too far for my influence