Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-12-2015, 04:15 AM
Jurago

Bresser Skylux 70/700 How to?

Hello. I recently got a Bresser Skylux 70/700 and I was wondering how am I supposed to use it. I have absolutely no experience on how to use any kind of Telescope, so I don't know what I am doing. I've assembled it according to the instructions, and then tried using it with the night lens with mirror but can't see anything... I was trying to find some stars to look at and couldn't see anything. I used it during the day to see if I did anything wrong, and it appears to receive light. I also see absolutely nothing using the long, day lens, used mainly for cities. Does anyone know what am I supposed to do? Thanks in advance!
Old 27-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Malcolm

Check on Google to be sure you have assembled it correctly. Align the finder day time on a distant object. Start with an eyepiece with a high number, ie: 20mm.
Old 27-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Jurago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Check on Google to be sure you have assembled it correctly. Align the finder day time on a distant object. Start with an eyepiece with a high number, ie: 20mm.
Hello. Sorry if I sound stupid, but I know absolutely nothing about this domain, and my good ol' dad decided to get a telescope, even tho' he knows nothing about them himself, so now I am tasked with looking for info about it. What do you mean by Aligning the finder on a distant object?
Old 27-12-2015, 12:37 PM
bojan
amateur

Where are you located?
Maybe someone can give you crash course in situ :-)
Old 27-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Jurago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Where are you located?
Maybe someone can give you crash course in situ :-)
Hello! I am located in Craiova, Romania!
Old 27-12-2015, 07:49 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurago View Post
Hello! I am located in Craiova, Romania!
ouch!!
too far away for me to drop by
Old 27-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

this telescope should be pretty straightforward to set up. given that we have a pretty full moon at the moment i would suggest you point it there (it is a big target) and look through the eyepiece as you slowly turn the focusing nob. eventually you should see that the even white light will start to turn into features of the moon. play with the focus until it is the best you can get then you wont need to touch it much, just for fine tuning. if you cant get it to the point where you are able to distinguish features on the moon then come back and we can go from there. it may also help if you uploaded a picture of how you have set up the telescope, we may be able to see something.
Old 28-12-2015, 12:11 AM
Jurago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
this telescope should be pretty straightforward to set up. given that we have a pretty full moon at the moment i would suggest you point it there (it is a big target) and look through the eyepiece as you slowly turn the focusing nob. eventually you should see that the even white light will start to turn into features of the moon. play with the focus until it is the best you can get then you wont need to touch it much, just for fine tuning. if you cant get it to the point where you are able to distinguish features on the moon then come back and we can go from there. it may also help if you uploaded a picture of how you have set up the telescope, we may be able to see something.
Hello! This is exactly what I wanted to do myself (looking at the moon for adjustements) but where I live, and at this time of the year, the moon just doesn't come anywhere where I can see it (it only stays above my block, and the angles are just too extreme. Might have to go on top of the block for this one, and carry the telescope with me. I'll keep you up to date.
Old 28-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Jurago

Update. I have moved my telescope to look at the moon. The telescope catches the moon's light, but it's completly out of focus, no matter how much I fiddle with the focusing wheel. I used the 20 mm with the Barlow lens.
Old 28-12-2015, 08:43 AM
doppler (Rick)

Did you get a diagonal eyepiece adaptor? A lot of refractors will not get to focus without one. A lot of refractors don't come with one and have to be bought as a separate item.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (diagonal.jpg)
7.5 KB36 views
Old 28-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

also, try to get to focus without the barlow lens first
Old 28-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Jurago

I did it!! I have finally managed to figure this beauty out! It comes mounted with a scope, and I was using the scope to center the moon in the quadran, but I was doing it wrong, because it didn't have to be centered, it had to be alligned to the top right to compensate for the scope's position(since the scope is positioned on the top left) and I have also removed the Barlow 3x, and used only the Diagonal eye piece adaptor with the 20mm lens and managed to look at the moon AND MY GOD she is superbe! I could see every single detail, every little crater, scratch and every texture of gray, and if I held the telescope on the same position for a few minutes, I could literally see the moon drift away from the sight! It was amazing! My eyes hurt a little bit, since it's very bright, but it was totally worth it! Thanks for help, and I will ask if I have any further trouble
Old 28-12-2015, 09:43 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hello Jurago

Glad you enjoyed it! Watching the move move is indeed wonderful.

A suggestion, get a neautral density filter. This will dim the light from the moon and you will then be able to watch it without hurting your eyes.

Also, oddly enough, a full moon is not the best time to observe it. Look at it through the month, near the terminator (near where the shadow is). You can then get a better feel for the craters, and sometimes see the tips of mountains in the middle of a crater.

Also, the little finder scope can be adjusted so that it points pretty much to the center of where the big scope is looking.

Enjoy

Philip
Old 28-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

You may need a spacer to use your Barlow . Try racking the focuser all the way out then look through the eyepiece as you take the Barlow and eyepiece out of the tube, see if you can achieve focus, that will tell you how much extension you need
Old 28-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Jurago

I have moved my telescope so I can look at the stars, using the same configuration I have used when looking at the moon, and it worked very damn well! They were still only bright dots, but I could see the star conglomerations and constelations very well! My question is, what is the purpouse of the Barlow lens, because I tried mounting it when looking at the stars, and I didn't get anything.
Old 28-12-2015, 07:01 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Interesting thread, glad to see you got it to work Jurago. The Skylux is a decent instrument for the price. You can improve it by flocking the focuser tube with flat-black material and possibly removing the baffle at the end of the focuser tube (this baffle causes some long FL eyepieces to vignette). The Skylux works well with Abbe style orthos and will also reach focus without the diagonal - the focuser tube has enough travel. It does come out a long way.

The Skylux is also a suitable donor scope for a reversible PST modification (The SunLux it is called then)

The barlow that comes with this unit is not very good. A short focal length eyepiece will work much better. Do not go below 5mm of eyepiece focal length (if using the 3x barlow, that means nothing shorter than 15mm).

I'm in Europe myself right now and have been watching the morning planets (in superb seeing), which ride high before dawn, especially Jupiter. The scope I use here is a Skylux.

Last edited by N1; 28-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 29-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Jurago

Update. This evening, I have added my Barlow lens to the equation, and managed to see details on the moon really well.
What I am asking of you now, is if anyone knows how to make the 1.5x Erecting eye piece with the 4mm lens work? That one is used for daytime to look at distant objects in cities, and I just can't seem to figure it out... Everything I see is complete blur, no matter how much I play with the focus wheel...
Old 29-12-2015, 05:32 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurago View Post
Update. This evening, I have added my Barlow lens to the equation, and managed to see details on the moon really well.
What I am asking of you now, is if anyone knows how to make the 1.5x Erecting eye piece with the 4mm lens work? That one is used for daytime to look at distant objects in cities, and I just can't seem to figure it out... Everything I see is complete blur, no matter how much I play with the focus wheel...
Not bad. What eyepiece did you combine with the barlow?

The "erecting eyepiece" acts like a 1.5x barlow. With the 4mm eyepiece, you are operating at 700mm*1.5/4mm= 262x which is too much magnification for this telescope so this combination is unlikely to produce a good image, even if you manage to reach focus.

My suggestion: Try using the 4mm eyepiece (or better still, a longer one) in the star diagonal. As long as the diagonal is upright, the view will be upright too. Only mirrored.

If you really want to use the erecting eyepiece, ue it with a longer focal length eyepiece such as 8mm or more.
Old 30-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Jurago

Hello N1. In combination with the Barlow, I've used the 20 mm lens. I use this combination to look at the moon and stars. I've never really tried the 4 mm with the diagonal star, so I'm gonna give it a try. Problem is, weather is pretty misty and cloudy right now.
Old 30-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Jurago

Important update! I have finally figured out how to use the telescope for daytime aswell. I have mounted the 4 mm in the diagonal adaptor (without the Barlow) And I can finally see distant places in my city! Now I figured out how to configure the damn thing for different uses. 20mm + Diagonal adaptor for the moon (add Barlow for nice detailing and further seeing) and 4mm+ diagonal adaptor for the city. Thanks everyone for putting up with my lack of knowledge about telescopes