Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

DMK21 AU04 AS long exposure continued

Having contacted the Imaging Source regarding my failure to open a long exposure they have not been able to provide me with a solution to this problem but are still investigating it.
Matty P kindly suggested the need to use Virtual Dub to sort out the exposures . Surely if the manufacters of this device designed it to capture long exposures - 60 minute maximum duration - the software that comes with it should open them. I've tried every control provided. It saves an icon which shows it is in a video formate, but I cannot open them and not being a computer wizz, I'm reluctant at this point to down load added software.
Is it possible to get answers for these two questions:
Is Virtual Dub the only way around this problem?
Does VD open the Icon that appears to be saved? even though a pop up window reads : The device is in live mode, but does not seem to deliver images. Please try to choose a different video format. Let me assure the reader when set up for long exposure it is not in live mode and does not show frames being saved as in the normal AVI capture.
I've tried switching off the Codex, and changing the video type PAL etc., but it continues to save the similar Video Icon as it does for AVI captures and throw up the above window. There must be an explanation for this .
Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

That error message definitely indicates something is wrong and it won't be saving any data properly. It's probably a file with size "0" bytes, right?

I used to get that error with my old DMK .

What exposure are you trying to use? We've already established that the short exposures are working ok, right? WHat exposure levels have you tried and when does it first start going bad?

Can you explain the routine and the settings you're using?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Dennis,

What I previously thought was that you had captured an AVI and could not open it probably due to the codec. That is why I told you to use Virtual Dub to open it and convert it to another format.

I have attached 4 images of how I have taken a 1 minute exposure with my DMK hopefully to help you with your problems. Please use the same steps as I have and let us know how you go.

Pic 1 - Open up IC Capture.AS and connect your DMK as shown.

Pic 2 - Slide Exposure tab across to desired exposure time

Pic 3 - Press record

Pic 4 - When you stop recording this message will appear. Just ignore it. It just means that the camera is still streaming video.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled-1.jpg)
185.5 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (Untitled-2.jpg)
190.8 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (Untitled-3.jpg)
189.9 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (Untitled-4.jpg)
68.8 KB44 views
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I ran off a few 1 minute subs of M8's core with my DBK31 last week, came out rather nicely, as did M20...

I should have saved them but I didn't bother... Might try it again some time...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

DMK21 - BMP file of long exposure

Finally got the chance to check out the long exposure on the DMK21.
As per Matty P.....
To get a single BMP long exposure frame, the video settings have to be set:

Record Video file/recorder settings/advanced
Auto stop by frame number - tick
Stop recording after <insert> 1 frames

If you also check the Sequence settings - file type BMP and give the storage directory, you'll see this info come up on the header panels.
DON'T forget to save the image - it doesn't automatically save!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Long Exposure Continued Further

Long Exposure continued. Replies from Matty P, Iceman and Merlin 66, whom I thank for answering my plea!
Also I received an email from David Wong, the sales rep for the DMK, who has been trying to fathom this long exposure problem. All three examples, have similar instructions, but no one has made mention of the need to switch to the SNAP control. Unless this is activated the device records AVI frames, which are able to be viewed in Media Player.
In reply to Mike’s Question: All the saved icons, when highlighted, show these details. E.g. TYPE VIDEO CLIP DIMENSIONS 640 x 480 Size 65.0KB
If I try to open them, the Media Player window opens and displays this message. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CANNOT OPEN THIS FILE. PLAYER MIGHT NOT SUPPORT THIS FILE TYPE OR MIGHT NOT SUPPORT THE CODEC THAT WAS USED TO COMPRESS THE FILE. See details of procedure below..
Matty P and Merlin 66, so far from home! The only way that I can get the device to record - assuming it is recording, for I have as yet to see a picture – is to click on the SNAP icon and on RECORD which then shows 0 frames: that is, No frames are being recorded. Stopping the recording it throws up the message, IN LIVE MODE BUT NOT DELIVERING IMAGES ETC. as your screen-print out shows. If I kill this message the display area goes black and a message appears across the top. THE DEVICE IS CURRENTLY NOT SENDING ANY MESSAGES. The only way to clear this message is to close the program and reopen it
So that all can follow what Mike has asked, I’ll detail what I’m doing to make a long exposure. Trying that is!
A focal reduction lens is fitted to the DMK and with a large book as the subject and at about1200 mm distance I get a reasonable soft focus of the object and I can display this image on the computer.
The IC Capture program is opened.
Following David Wong’s instructions. Under Device > Properties > the Auto exposure is turned off and the slider is adjusted to 1/30 sec. The auto max value is turned off. I then Click on the Snap icon > click on the Toggle Recording Control, which opens < Record Video File. It asks, Do I wish to over write < I click No and give the save file a name: e.g Test 5, Save and watch the exposure add up, stopping it around 15. Then up pops the window IN LIVE MODE etc., click on OK and the image disappears and the message, NOT SENDING appears. I can record further, but to remove that message I need to shut the program down and reopen it. It worries me that no one mentioned using SNAP and although it appears that the DMK could be at fault, I ask you computer wiz, is it possible that the problem could be faulty software? Or am at fault? Do reply, I need your help.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Ignore the screen warning, only applies to avi saving.
Remember to save the file and set the frame limit to one, you should see the time counting to you're preset value. Won't see anything on the screen, but save to BMP.
The attached are a couple of dark frames saved this way. ( converted to Jpg to allow uploading!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (63sec.jpg)
4.2 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (315sec.jpg)
79.9 KB13 views
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

STOP THE PRESS! Long exposure

I wrote this before reading Merlin's latest reply

I think I have it! Long exposure from the days of the film camera was to open the lens as wide as possible, open the shutter count the time and close it The method I used numerous times to capture faint objects such as stars.
Having read Merlin 66 a tenth time, the last line Stop Recording after <insert> 1 frames . I set it as written and it recorded a still single picture. I didn’t have to press SNAP. Have I interpreted Merlin’s instructions correctly? It now appears so thanks Merlin.
The light factor of the image dictated the exposure. I was forced to use a setting around 1/ 30 th. This brings up the question of using this feature as long exposure to capture a faint object. Exposure and Time appear as one, which leaves me confused. Can you take it a bit further for me? Tell me how I can capture a Star cluster using this Long Exposure principal?
I thank you all for putting up with my continued questions.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Long Exposure experimentation. Using the Focal reducer and a fixed object at 1200 mm I've successfully recorded a number of pictures under varied degrees of light from bright to near dark. 1/15 sec to 4.84 seconds. I now have a better understanding why Astro pictures in S&T mag are a composite of 4 or 5 exposures. If some one could answer this question. What computer program is used to produce a single picture fom these exposures?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Deep Sky Stacker or if the object has not moved at all, registax.. both are free.. and fairly easy to use.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Dennis G
Dennis G

DEEP SKY STACKER - ALEX N Many thanks. Now that Merlin 66 and Matty P has kindly sorted out the Long Exposure, I'd like to have a go at some bright stellar object, assuming that it is possible with the DMK imager. I down loaded the DSS manual and after reading it a few times feel that, although not a computer wizz I could manage it. I haven't yet become involved with colour filters and I can't find any reference to processing mono captures. Would it be possible to practice using the moon? Any comments?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Dennis, I found with my DBK that M8 came out well, and was quite bright. Also, star clusters like Omega Cent, or 47Tuc are both fairly bright...

Depending on the focal length, you could even have a go at M31, but you would need to use something like a 50mm camera lens to fit it all in.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you can produce!

Alex.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Dennis,

Here are some long exposure images I have taken with my DMK through my C8 with a 2000mm FL. All the exposure times vary but are quite short from between 5 to 10 seconds with the set to maximum.

Pic 1 - 47 Tuc

Pic 2 - Tarantula Nebula

Pic 3 - Acrux (not sure?)

Pic 4 - M42

As you can see that for only very short exposure the DMK captures quite a lot of stars and nebulosity. I would like to see what the DMK can do with longer exposures and a shorter focal length so that might be a future project for me.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (47Tuc0001-23-19-122.jpg)
80.0 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (Tarantula-Nebula0004-23-26-46.jpg)
88.1 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (Acrux-0005-08-02-15-23-42-05.jpg)
126.5 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (M420008-00-34-10.jpg)
41.3 KB78 views

Last edited by Matty P; 09-09-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

47Tuc came out really well there matt!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Matty and Alex thank you. The captures Matty are terrific. A question Matty: What software did you use to process these, or are they just single exposures? The end results for one short exposure/ capture? Your reply would be appreciated.
All I need is a clear sky, which I doubt we will see before another week and by then the moon will be full !!! Who suggested astonomical photography was easy? I'll be trying and if I'm able to capture pictures like those Matty, I'll be over the moon - although I'm a bit old for that these days. I often wonder when I ask questions and guys like you and others reply with intelligent answers, how many others gain from reading it. IIS is a great web site as I've often mentioned, I lifts me lid to ya Mike!

Last edited by Dennis G; 10-09-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typing errors
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Its an awesome resource for the hobby isnt it.. I owe 90% of my inspiration into the hobby to other peoples images and reports on IIS...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
Matty and Alex thank you. The captures Matty are terrific. A question Matty: What software did you use to process these, or are they just single exposures? The end results for one short exposure/ capture? Your reply would be appreciated.
All I need is a clear sky, which I doubt we will see before another week and by then the moon will be full !!! Who suggested astonomical photography was easy? I'll be trying and if I'm able to capture pictures like those Matty, I'll be over the moon - although I'm a bit old for that these days. I often wonder when I ask questions and guys like you and others reply with intelligent answers, how many others gain from reading it. IIS is a great web site as I've often mentioned, I lifts me lid to ya Mike!
Hi Dennis,

If I can remember all of the images were composed of a couple exposures (5 to 10 seconds) that were stacked in Registax and post processed them in Photoshop.

I'd suggest taking as many exposures as possible for the best result. For example, atleast a couple of minutes worth of data as a starting point.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

I must admit that if it wernt for ISS forums, ide be in a little bit of strife! hehehe sall good though! now im just trying to figure out how im going to go with getting my astro phtotography set up going....

yay
Old 11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
matt
6000 post club member

For an example of the DSO imaging capabilities of the DMK mono cameras, check out the work of Alberto Mayer using a DMK 31AU03

http://www.astronomycamerasblog.com/

Slightly bigger chip...

Amazing stuff
Old 16-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

DMK Processing Long Exposure
Matty and Alex.
Do an old member a favour with a brief explanation as to how you processed the single frames to be acceptable to Registax. I feel confident to complete the process if I can load into Registax. I made a second submission under the heading DMK processing etc., to catch your attention but it failed!