Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-09-2016, 10:46 PM
tonez

solar scope

hi guys,

i'm considering buying a dedicated solar scope..
i've looked at these on and off for quite a while now and convinced myself that the Lunt 50mm is the way to go as far as value for money since its not a huge amount more expensive than a PST and seems to be a lot better quality

https://luntsolarsystems.com/product...pha-telescope/

the cost of a PST from bintel seems to be ~$1100 while the lunt is ~$1800
i dont really want to go much higher than that but id rather do it properly and get something of higher quality the first go around.

am i missing anything here? are there other options?
if it makes any difference it will mainly be for visual use

cheers.
Old 17-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I have a PST and I'd choose the Lunt over the PST The PST is great but you are right, the Lunt is better quality.
Old 18-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Huey (Michael)

Lunt solar

I've got a Lunt 60 and a PST. The Lunt is more expensive but much better. I recommend go with the Lunt especially if you want to take pictures further down the track.

Clear skies
Huey
Old 18-09-2016, 02:51 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

I have had both as well and I much prefer the Lunt. Better quality, well built and has more features.

The Lunt LS50THa with the B600 blocking filter from Andrews will be the best purchase ever! That is where I got mine and am super happy with it.
Old 18-09-2016, 03:57 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Guys, can you please clarify the quality difference a bit more for these two scopes. Is it a build quality thing, or the visual performance, or something about their applicability for imaging, etc ?

Thanks, Jim
Old 18-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Jim,
I've been a PST user for the past ten years (See below) and it was a game changer when initially launched in 2003 - it brought the opportunity of observing the solar disk chromosphere to the amateur for the first time.
It was designed and sold as a visual instrument. This restriction still stays with us today. Over the years the PST hasn't really changed...Ideal as an introduction to Ha solar and can, just, be modified (cutting down the eyepiece holder!!) or used with a low power barlow to achieve imaging capability.
The internal "heart" of the PST is the etalon which is 28mm diameter.
To pull more resolution and performance from the PST it has been the subject of more mods than any other scope!
I actively worked with amateurs in the UK to refine and understand the necessary hardware and construction of a successful PST mod.
There are Stage 0.5, Stage 1 and Stage 2 mods - usually using a larger aperture (up to 150mm) "donor" OTA.
OK so much for the PST - some critics say the design - gold tube/ black box is dated and should be upgraded......

Andy Lunt, son of David Lunt who designed the optics for the PST left Coronado/ Meade and set up his own business (2008) in competition - Lunt Solar telescopes.
The range of Lunt Ha solar scopes is impressive - from the 50mm "base" (the original 35mm - to compete head on with the PST was dropped) to a eye watering 150mm version!
He also introduced "pressure tuning" to the etalon assembly - this is said to give a more even field of view - a "larger sweet spot" - Hmmm

Most of the larger solar Ha telescope have reduced sized internal etalons (these are the very expensive parts!!!) and the etalon used in the Lunt 50 is very similar to that in the PST.
The Lunt design however took into account the growing popularity of solar imaging and it came with a conventional focuser to allow easier camera connection.
In "Imaging Sunlight" I present a comprehensive discussion (p13-18, p38-44) on current available solar telescopes and associated filters.

Summary
The 40mm PST is designed for visual but with work can be used for imaging
The bandwidth is designed to be <1A (usually around 0.7-0.8)
The etalon is tilt tuned for wavelength with some "sweet spot" effect.

The Lunt 50 has a slightly larger aperture and should (?) give marginally better surface resolution.
It is fitted with a focuser which allows fitment of cameras.
The bandwidth is the same as the PST
The etalon can be pressure tuned to "improve" the "sweet spot" effect.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Merlin66; 18-09-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 18-09-2016, 05:21 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

It should be said that the PST and the Lunt LS35THa were the two scopes that competed against each other back in the day. The Lunt 35mm has been discontinued.

Prices back then (around 2010) were about the same.

The PST is now in a class by itself.

The Lunt LS50 should be pitted against the Coronado SM60.

Both scopes are great for Solar visual/imaging. IMHO, it's a personal preference. I've used both scope, each has pros and cons.

OIC!
Old 19-09-2016, 06:38 AM
SteveInNZ

If you're in that price bracket, you could also consider a Daystar Quark.
In one respect it's more versatile as you can use it with an existing OTA but OTOH, it takes a while to warm up.
I'd intended to sell my PST when I bought the Quark but you can't beat the PST for having a quick look.

Steve.
Old 19-09-2016, 03:30 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

As an aside, I believe if you intend to use a Lunt scope for imaging, the B1200 blocking filter is preferable (and more expensive) to/than the B600. I think it throws a wider image at the viewfinder. HTH
Old 19-09-2016, 07:44 PM
tonez

the quark does look interesting, i could probably stretch the budget a bit for something like this http://myastroshop.com.au/products/d...sp?id=MAS-061C
but then i guess theres the possibility that i could double stack the lunt 50 for around that same price

i definitely will have a go at solar imaging at some stage but more interested in visual performance than imaging