Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Out of control car wrecks our car :(

My wife went into town yesterday to do some errands,and parked in the center parking of town,and had just walked out of vehicle.When she heard a awful thud,then another thud.

A woman driving through town,apparently had blacked out,fallen on her cars' steering wheel and drove straight into a holden commodore ute (heard about 10 K damage to that one),then some how her vehicle spun around and smashed in our avalon,and made an awful mess the left wheel area.

Thankfully no one seriously hurt (the women walked away with not one scratch), A man got hurt putting out fire in her car,(which was about to blow and burn our car).

So,not a good day in town,a friday afternoon too,so all the insurance etc etc was a lot of phone calls. Our car will likely be written off,as along with other two,as our Avalon is front wheel drive-damage in that area-I imagine it will never steer properly.We will have to get a loan to get something half decent,as sound like payout will be stuff all.

Sad thing,we really looked after this car,and the other vehicle,a 23 yr old ute,gets used in the most horrindus work in the bush,and has never had any major dramas.

Could not believe how quick the darn tilt trays arrived,even fighting over who had what,while car on fire,they reminded me of vultures around a carcass.The fire trucks turned up after them,followed by ambos,and eventually police arrived 1/2 an hour after the event.

My wife is in shock,and unwell,the sound was the worst thing she said.But slowly on the up today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4010 disaster.jpg)
66.3 KB126 views
Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Glad your wife was out of the car Chris.

I hope the lady's insurance doesn't try to weasel out of it because of a medical condition. Hopefully the police will require her to have a medical assessment after this accident. There was a law passed in Qld a few years back regarding medical conditions affecting driving - mandatory reporting, etc.

If she's "blacked out" behind the wheel, she shouldn't be driving - full stop! She may have said that as a reflex-action / excuse after the embarrassment of having caused so much damage, but it might come back to bite her…

DT
Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Glad your wife was out of the car Chris.

I hope the lady's insurance doesn't try to weasel out of it because of a medical condition. Hopefully the police will require her to have a medical assessment after this accident. There was a law passed in Qld a few years back regarding medical conditions affecting driving - mandatory reporting, etc.

If she's "blacked out" behind the wheel, she shouldn't be driving - full stop! She may have said that as a reflex-action / excuse after the embarrassment of having caused so much damage, but it might come back to bite her…

DT
Yes,David Jenny was lucky,as she was standing beside vehicle moments before this.She has not eaten since this.

The woman the caused the accident,gave all her details an admitted her fault to police officer.Our insurance already has things under way.

Will be a pain in the bush with only one vehicle,as Jenny used it to take her elderly uncle and mother to medical appointments.

Looks like I've lost my ute,for a bit,and will have to get the air fresher out and give it a clean,before handing over to Jenny to run old folks around.