Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2012, 09:29 PM
SkySearcher (Daniel)

Modifying GSO 12"

Hi All,

I purchased a 12" GSO Dob from Bintel several years ago and since then the addition of two young children has made it difficult to transport the scope. So now I'm looking for a way to make it more portable. Does anyone know of plans or a kit available to convert the solid tube scope into a truss or similar collapsible scope? Is it possible to avoid a full scope and mount build when a simple cut down version of what I have would suffice?

It seems like it would be rather simple if one could just reinforce the tube after cutting it. Or if this is not possible is there a provider of light bridge (or similar) setups without the optics?
Old 15-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I came across these the other day.

They might be a little expensive once you add shipping etc but still worth a look.

The 12" is near the bottom of the page.
Old 15-11-2012, 09:23 PM
SkySearcher (Daniel)

Thanks for the Link,
They look great and very portable but as you say the price with shipping would be a little too much. I could buy the full mead 12" light bridge for less. Although if the quality is higher I suppose the cost could be justified.
Old 16-11-2012, 03:28 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Just rip off the sky watcher design, lol its not that complex though you are going to need to reenforce the tube ends that are cut. Just get some bushs to suit the tube/truss and tap them out at the lower section to put locking bolts/thumbscrews in. If your got a mate whoes got the right tools it would be simple as, though finding something to reenforce the tube ends without lathing ect might be a bit of trouble. You could also sell your dob and pay the difference on a truss built one which might work out cheaper and less hassle, though it wouldn't be as rewarding.