Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM
MLParkinson (Murray)

Wiruna Long Weekend

Here is a set of images based on data I recorded during a long weekend at Wiruna, Central Tablelands, NSW, 3 to 5 October. We had a run of three breathtaking dark nights. I combined the RGB data recorded at Wiruna with H alpha and OIII data recorded back in the suburbs of Sydney. I am interested to know which permutation(s) you think work best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlparki...7635528367165/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2013_10_05_California_Neb_LRGB.jpg)
188.1 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_04_Pleaides_LRGB_HDR_Crop.jpg)
190.7 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_04_Andromeda_Neb_LRGB.jpg)
190.0 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_04_Andromeda_Neb_L.jpg)
191.6 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_03_Weedy_Sea_Dragon_LRGB.jpg)
195.7 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_12_LMC_L_Ha_OIII_B2OIII.jpg)
197.6 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_12_LMC_L_Ha_OIII_OIII.jpg)
193.7 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (2013_10_12_LMC_R2Ha_G2OIII_B2OIII.jpg)
175.7 KB44 views
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
TimberLand (Justin)
No Meridian Flip Required

Busy weekend by the look of it.

My pic would be the Seven Sisters, the Andromeda shots have good detail but are a bit burnt out in the middle.

Great shots otherwise.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
batema (Mark)

Looks like a fantastic weekend. Great images.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
MLParkinson (Murray)

Which is the best LRGB-HaOIII image of the LMC?

Sorry, I often make mistakes when I type too fast. I meant to ask for your opinions about which combination of RGB data with H alpha and OIII data works the best for the wide field images of the Large Magellanic Cloud. The other images (in this set) are LRGB images.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Nice selection of northern and southern favourites there Murrray - a productive few nights So much HII in the LMC there huh? Either of the versions is ok to me.

Mike
Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
MLParkinson (Murray)

Well, you're amongst the best astro-imagers in the country, so if you think that either of the LMC images works, then my judgment is probably improving. I suspect that sometimes I combine narrowband data in ways that make the final image look horrid. Showing good judgment when manipulating the colour channels is a constant challenge for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Nice selection of northern and southern favourites there Murrray - a productive few nights So much HII in the LMC there huh? Either of the versions is ok to me.

Mike
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Well nice of you to say Murray

In the case of the LMC, at least for me, it is the field of view and portrayal of the abundant HII regions across the swath of galaxy that is the impressive bit and the reason I think all the versions essentially look pretty cool...if I had to pick though, it would be the last one becaseu it highlights the HII the best

The LMC is an amazing galaxy and I first shot it when I was 18 years old back in 1986. If I had been able to produce what you have here back then...heck I would have been World Famous!

Mike
Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Very tidy collection Murray. Really well done. A productive outing.
Old 14-11-2013, 04:12 PM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Fantastic work! Like the first LMC shot. Amazing details with the B&W Andromeda shot - never seen such detail so close to it's core, even if the highlights are a little blown (not much of that really). Nice details on the M45 cloud structure. The California Nebula came up well. What sort of gear were you running? I'm seriously considering a jump to an 8" or 10" f4 Newtonian. Would be stoked to get half the detail you're turning out here!
Old 14-11-2013, 09:02 PM
MLParkinson (Murray)

Thank you very much Cazza. The telescopic shots were taken with a Televue 85 mm f/7 refractor fitted with the Televue f/5.6 corrector and a QSI 683wsg camera. The mount was a EQ 3 driven with 0.5-sec corrections to help moderate its multiple periodic errors.

When it comes to imaging: quality, dedication and technique are more important than aperture. Having a big scope helps, especially for faint, small galaxies, but I wouldn't get hung up on getting a big scope. It is more important to ensure that whatever gear you buy it is very high quality, and then concentrate on developing good data collection technique and post-processing skills.

Having said that, I agree with you. People produce fantastic results using f/4 Newtonian telescopes fitted with Baader or Wynne coma correctors. I am thinking of venturing down that path myself. Fast Newtonians can also be used for visual deep sky observing which is an added bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza132 View Post
Fantastic work! Like the first LMC shot. Amazing details with the B&W Andromeda shot - never seen such detail so close to it's core, even if the highlights are a little blown (not much of that really). Nice details on the M45 cloud structure. The California Nebula came up well. What sort of gear were you running? I'm seriously considering a jump to an 8" or 10" f4 Newtonian. Would be stoked to get half the detail you're turning out here!
Old 15-11-2013, 12:52 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Thanks for the heads up MLParkinson And well done with the fantastic work you're doing - with a system less than 500mm FL! I would be happy to stick with the shorter focal length systems - deep sky galaxies haven't captured my attention yet. Wide field nebulae are what I am finding most interesting atm, so a system with a FL less than 1000mm is what I'd be looking at. Hey, would a 8" f4.0 newt imaging circle cover a full frame DSLR sensor? Haven't found much info about that.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:19 AM
MLParkinson (Murray)

Troy, you have probably noticed that "strongmanmike" produces spectacular images using a large format camera and a fast, highly corrected Newtonian:

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/AG/agrangeand(ota)t.html

Alas, these astrographs aren't cheap, especially with the Ausi-dollar trending downward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza132 View Post
Thanks for the heads up MLParkinson And well done with the fantastic work you're doing - with a system less than 500mm FL! I would be happy to stick with the shorter focal length systems - deep sky galaxies haven't captured my attention yet. Wide field nebulae are what I am finding most interesting atm, so a system with a FL less than 1000mm is what I'd be looking at. Hey, would a 8" f4.0 newt imaging circle cover a full frame DSLR sensor? Haven't found much info about that.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Ross G

A great collection of beautiful photos Murray.

Wiruna is an ideal place for imaging and you certainly made the most of your visit.

My favourites are your M31 and Pleiades.

Ross.