Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.20 average.
Old 23-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Visionary (David)

I blew up my mount!

Recently I acquired a beautiful CGEM DX from Andrews Communications to say I am happy with the mount would be a massive understatement. Unlike most of my Astro purchases, with the CGEM DX there is zero buyers remorse!
I am worried about the power supply, as the mount won't be leaving my backyard and I would prefer to use a power supply rather than a battery. After some research, I have opted for a regulated power supply rather than a switch-mode power supply.
The regulated power supply I have found supplies 4amps @ 13.8v 50% duty cycle and negligible ripple. Will I blow up my exquisite CGM DX if I use this power supply?

Cheers
Old 23-06-2017, 11:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

That's click bait right there.
Old 23-06-2017, 11:55 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Recently I acquired a beautiful CGEM DX from Andrews Communications to say I am happy with the mount would be a massive understatement. Unlike most of my Astro purchases, with the CGEM DX there is zero buyers remorse!
I am worried about the power supply, as the mount won't be leaving my backyard and I would prefer to use a power supply rather than a battery. After some research, I have opted for a regulated power supply rather than a switch-mode power supply.
The regulated power supply I have found supplies 4amps @ 13.8v 50% duty cycle and negligible ripple. Will I blow up my exquisite CGM DX if I use this power supply?

Cheers
If you are concerned about the power supply, then why not "put in back on" the vendor or manufacturer and purchase their recommended mains power supply, from the same vendor.

Best
JA
Old 23-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
If you are concerned about the power supply, then why not "put in back on" the vendor or manufacturer and purchase their recommended mains power supply, from the same vendor.

Best
JA
There are more than just one or two Icer's who are Electrical Engineers and my guess is that within that cohort a goodly number are Chartered.

Cheers
Old 23-06-2017, 12:12 PM
casstony

Quote:
Cheers
Sounds fine to me. A little over 12 volts and 3 amps or more is what you want.

The advantage of a deep cycle battery is that you don't have a cord to trip over.
Old 23-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Sounds fine to me. A little over 12 volts and 3 amps or more is what you want.

The advantage of a deep cycle battery is that you don't have a cord to trip over.
Many thanks, using batteries would be safer but with all the stuff hanging off the scope and PC's etc I would prefer to use power.
Cheers
Old 23-06-2017, 12:38 PM
casstony

http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/PowerSources.htm
Old 23-06-2017, 02:34 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
That's click bait right there.
.......i was mentally prepared to see some horrific images of a nice mount on fire.
Old 23-06-2017, 04:57 PM
JA

Quote:
There are more than just one or two Icer's who are Electrical Engineers and my guess is that within that cohort a goodly number are Chartered.

Cheers
Huh ? ...
Old 23-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Cheers
Old 23-06-2017, 09:14 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

13.8v regulated supply is fine.
Old 24-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
13.8v regulated supply is fine.
Thank you very much! I am so delighted with the mount I want to do everything I can to ensure it's kept in good condition.
David
Old 26-06-2017, 02:28 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

then just use battery power. zero chance of local power surges frying anything, i never needed anything but my battery pack from jaycar on same mount, never ran out of juice even once. Why do you want a cord to trip over in the dark?
Old 27-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
then just use battery power. zero chance of local power surges frying anything, i never needed anything but my battery pack from jaycar on same mount, never ran out of juice even once. Why do you want a cord to trip over in the dark?
Sil, I am vacillating.... the idea of zero "frying" is very attractive. I have been looking far and wide and came across this....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231914111351

It's a Lithium Battery Pack, a damn site better value than the Celestron power pack (Lithium). I am confident I haven't wasted $$$ on the power supply as it's a regulated power supply, a big step-up from switch-mode power supplies and makes a very handy power supply with a thousand potential applications.

Last edited by Visionary; 27-06-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: save
Old 27-06-2017, 08:44 PM
casstony

The Celestron is lithium iron phosphate battery which is reputedly a safer chemistry than the cheaper lithium polymer commonly used in the cheap lithium batteries. There are other suppliers of LiFePO4 batteries.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:32 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

David...if you are really worried...buy one of these. Wavecom 0~30V, 0~5A, Constant current or constant voltage mode. Can set current to a limit and it will not draw past that limit. $129.

Yes they are more than you require but the beauty of this is that you can set your voltage and limit your current. For that price...its as cheap or cheaper than cheap supplies.

Yes it doesn't have battery backup..but if used at home this is not an issue.

Brendan
Old 03-07-2017, 03:06 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

I forgot to reply to this.

I highly recommend getting Meanwell power supplies. They can be obtained from RS components or Mouser (if getting from mouser ensure you checkout in $US). RS has advantage of free next day shipping and their prices are sometimes cheaper than Mouser.

I fully trust my Losmandy G11 gemini 2 with a Meanwell GST60A-15 (15V 60W).

The GS series is excellent for the price and 3 year warranty.

They are very well designed and comply with all relevant standards and have datasheets available for all the specs you could want.

Mine cost me like $50 or something.

FWIW i am an electrical engineer well versed in power supply design.

the OWA series is IP67 rated and has a 5 year warranty, if you are so inclined to go that route. i made the decision not to go IP rated because 1) you dont use your telescope when it is raining (unless you are on drugs) and 2) internal heat ensures condensation can't occur (as a precaution ive wrapped foam around mine) and 3) i keep my GS strapped to my tripod (ie off the ground).

as i said, i am an electrical engineer and i trust my Losmandy G11 with a Meanwell power supply. I would also trust it with a Recom or XP Power but they are more exxy and harder to obtain. There could well be other reputable supplies out there but i havent found one. Meanwell ticks all my boxes.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkara4 View Post
I forgot to reply to this.

I highly recommend getting Meanwell power supplies. They can be obtained from RS components or Mouser (if getting from mouser ensure you checkout in $US). RS has advantage of free next day shipping and their prices are sometimes cheaper than Mouser.

I fully trust my Losmandy G11 gemini 2 with a Meanwell GST60A-15 (15V 60W).

The GS series is excellent for the price and 3 year warranty.

They are very well designed and comply with all relevant standards and have datasheets available for all the specs you could want.

Mine cost me like $50 or something.

FWIW i am an electrical engineer well versed in power supply design.

the OWA series is IP67 rated and has a 5 year warranty, if you are so inclined to go that route. i made the decision not to go IP rated because 1) you dont use your telescope when it is raining (unless you are on drugs) and 2) internal heat ensures condensation can't occur (as a precaution ive wrapped foam around mine) and 3) i keep my GS strapped to my tripod (ie off the ground).

as i said, i am an electrical engineer and i trust my Losmandy G11 with a Meanwell power supply. I would also trust it with a Recom or XP Power but they are more exxy and harder to obtain. There could well be other reputable supplies out there but i havent found one. Meanwell ticks all my boxes.
Many thanks!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Visionary (David)

That's a very interesting looking supply & at a great price. I really should have asked this question much earlier,
Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

also i note much confusion here about regulated vs switched mode. There are two types of power supplies, Linear and SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply). Linear encompasses both semiconductor voltage regulator type devices and transformer based AC/DC conversion via full wave rectification and a smoothing capacitor. SMPS use semiconductor switches switched at very high frequencies and capacitors and inductors for subsequent filtering.

SMPS are extremely efficient (if loaded correctly). They are much more complicated than a standard transformer rectifying power supply. If built well they outperform linear supplies in all areas (physical and electrical).

Battery chemistry is a whole different topic, i would be using some kind of voltage regulator with one, and personally ill be using 12V SLA just because it is simple and easy. Li Ion is also an option but the dangers increase dramatically with the nasty chinese stuff out there. That being said a quality and safe Li Ion setup can certainly be had, but at a much greater cost than the simple 12V car battery (SLA).