Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Aldi Mobile any good ?

I just received a notification from Telstra that they want to upgrade my mobile service and charge more for it , I can’t stay on the same plan
Talk about choice , you have no choice with Telstra
Don’t get me wrong my mobile service has been great over the past couple of years but I have no say in what plan I choose, they are automatically going to upgrade me at more cost , I don’t want to be upgraded nor do I want pre paid systems
My son and his wife have been with Aldi mobile for nearly 2 years , paying a lot less for more data
Has anyone had any experience with Aldi mobile ?? Support ? Network coverage ?
I’m looking at the $35 plan with 37GB data

Thanks in advance !
Old 08-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Saturn488

I know a few people who went with Aldi mobile. They didn't have the best experience. Pricing is great but the network was pretty average for them. Then again I have heard others saying they never had an issue.

Usually these other companies are given the crappier part of say Telstra's network to use which is why it's cheaper. There is always a catch otherwise everyone would be on Aldi Mobile.

Give it a bash for a while, see what it's like. If you don't like it just go to another carrier. I always encourage people to try different things because you will always end up knowing more than people who stick to one thing. I've owned about 12 telescopes over the years all different designs and I know a lot about them than say someone who has had one telescope for 10 years.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:19 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

My wife uses aldi without issue.

I went with woolworths 85 g for $150 @12 months depends how much data you use i guess i seem to use around 6/7 g so it will likely last a year if not I'll buy another when it runs out,,plus they give me 10% off one grocery shop a month which pays for the phone.

Last edited by GrahamL; 08-10-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:41 AM
h0ughy (David)

Aldi is on the telstra backbone. I am with aldi and have been for years. Nothing really wrong with it at all
Old 08-10-2020, 11:48 AM
sunslayr (David)

I use Belong, if Aldi doesn't do it for you could give them a try, they use the Telstra network too, maybe even the same parts as Aldi. Where I live Telstra is the only network that gives me signal and I have never had a problem.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:10 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I switched from Telstra to aldi this year and haven't noticed any difference except i save enough from the switch to buy a nice eyepiece every two months

I use the 25$ a month deal, never use all the data and it all rolls over. I think i have 100gb in the bank now

I stream redbull tv for mountain bike action, watch vids no probs, dont ever use the wifi at home because my phone is faster. Its a no-brainer for me, even out in the sticks it doesnt seem any different. Canberra has 5G now, and i dont need that so aldi is fine
It uses Telstra network.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

My Twin Sister and her Husband are with Aldi ....they have no complaints.
They tell me what ever 'data ' is not used for the month gets ' rolled over ' to the next month each time ...he has around 300GB already built up....with other mobile services , you will ' loose ' what you don't use up.

$25.00 a month they pay.

Give it a go ....!!

Last edited by FlashDrive; 08-10-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
My Twin Sister and her Husband are with Aldi ....they have no complaints.
They tell me what ever 'data ' is not used for the month gets 'rolled over 'to the next month each time ...he has around 300GB already built up....with other mobile services , you will ' loose ' what you don't use up.

Give it a go ....!!
So am I missing something here? What’s the bonus to it rolling over if you don’t use the data allowance provided each month?
Old 08-10-2020, 12:27 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

You might have a time when the excess 'data 'will come in very handy for bigger downloads or usage.....maybe alot of web surfing / streaming movies ...etc.

Using your phone as a ' hot spot ' is another.

Col.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
So am I missing something here? What’s the bonus to it rolling over if you don’t use the data allowance provided each month?

I find that extra data is useful when it rolls over when we go away and don't have WIFI
Every summer on our break we head down the peninsula for a few weeks so he phone then acts as a hotspot so that data comes in very handy
Old 08-10-2020, 12:53 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I am with Aldi for the last 5-6 months and have no issues.
I was with Belong as I needed international calls to be included to the Netherlands. Then Belong removed the Netherlands from their included calls so I had to change providers. Aldi has it included to a maximum amount of minutes a month.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I've been on Aldi mobile for maybe 5+ years now. There was a time that I was considering moving away from it as it only offered the 3G network for data but I've never had issues. I use it on the $45 plan as it is my only internet connection and use it for everything; tethering to my computer and laptop.

The only time I wouldn't consider it as worth while is if you live in a remote area where the reception isn't as good to begin with. Aldi is cheaper, as others have mentioned, because they piggy back off the Telstra network but at a lower priority. I found that out at my rural property it left the internet unusual at any kind of peak time, it has gotten better in the past 12 months and if I'd have lived there I would even now definitely move to Telstra Mobile.

Living in Melbourne, Aldi is worth it as even "lower" reception is still excellent. Out in rural areas, it can be a bit questionable. I would say that in rural towns it is fine but once you head out of town it gets a bit fickle.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:29 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

I suggest you check out Boost Mobile as well:
https://boost.com.au/plans/?gclid=Cj...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Boost are the ONLY Telstra reseller which operates on the complete Telstra network - all of the other Telstra resellers (including Aldi) use the Telstra Wholesale network (a.k.a. "parts of Telstra's 4G and 3G mobile networks"), which is only a subset of the full Telstra network.

In major urban areas, it generally won't make much difference (if any), but if you get out into regional Australia with areas of "spotty" mobile reception, phones which are on the full Telstra network will often hold a signal after all the other networks have lost signal altogether. Check the coverage maps by zooming in to a regional town (such as Roma, QLD) to compare the different coverage.
https://www.aldimobile.com.au/coverage/
https://boost.com.au/coverage-map/
Old 08-10-2020, 06:22 PM
Huey (Michael)

Aldi mobile

I don't use the phone much and live in outback NSW. Never had any issues with Aldi mobile and I like thatthe credit will last for a year and does not get swallowed up at the end of the month.
Coverage between Cobar and Dubbo is patchy at the best of times even with an expensive plan.

Huey
Old 08-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks All !!
I’m going to run with Aldi and see how we go
Old 08-10-2020, 10:54 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Julian is on the money. Boost are the only reseller to use the full Telstra retail network - apparently the billing is actually done through Telstra. All of the others use the wholesale network - fine in the city, but much less coverage in regional areas.

That said, my girls are on Aldi and have no issues around town - they're more interested in streaming than phone calls though. I compared my daughter's Aldi connection at one remotish spot I go to with my Telstra connection and she was actually getting better download speeds on an older iPhone - can't explain that!

DT
Old 09-10-2020, 12:47 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Aldi is great, and unlike others, I've found its country reception to be very good. We live in north central VIC, 30 mins from shepparton and 19 from Euroa. I can still make calls and use internet, slowly, in our back paddock. Fantastic value
Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Aldi is great, and unlike others, I've found its country reception to be very good. We live in north central VIC, 30 mins from shepparton and 19 from Euroa. I can still make calls and use internet, slowly, in our back paddock. Fantastic value
Had quite a few nice battles on the grass tennis courts of Euroa as a kid. Very kind to the racquet when piffing it mid-dummy-spit. Do you guys have much granite on your land?
Old 10-10-2020, 04:24 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Since I'm retired, I don't need much data as I mainly use home internet, so I usually only use a tiny amount of data when waiting for appointments.

I've been on Aldi pre-paid for some years now. The big advantages are that Aldi Pre-paid's credit lasts for a year and it has international roaming - which previously used to be only available on plans or post-paid.

I don't actually use the Aldi pre-paid phone overseas for making phone calls, but need it for receiving the One Time Pins (OTPs) that banks sometimes send out for transactions, and that various other companies now send out to allow access their sites.

Regards,
Renato