Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Kunama

So the Jolly Old Chap brought .........

..... ......

Last edited by Kunama; 31-12-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 28-12-2018, 07:12 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Have the rocket all 1969 pieces havnt made it yet
also have another model rocket ive got to finish and launch last onehad an incident that made it unsafe to use.
Old 28-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Wilso

Nice presents Matt, you must have been good!

Can't beat a good set of binos for Christmas.
Tell me your not going to read the instructions first on the rocket
Old 28-12-2018, 07:54 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Nice! Because Santa's a useless git around my place, I bought myself some Canon 15x50 IS binos, which are brilliant.
Old 28-12-2018, 08:21 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Jolly Good Show Old Chap ...Ay What...Hip Hip an all that ...!!

Last edited by FlashDrive; 28-12-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 28-12-2018, 09:01 PM
RyanJones

Santa has been kind

Dropped off a HEQ5 Pro, A Bintel voucher and a night at the Melbourne plaitaruim.

I hope he knows that it means I'll be able to see him coming next year. Lol
Old 28-12-2018, 09:40 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I couldn't wait for Santa so bought myself a classic C5 and near new APM UFF 30mm. Both had first light over the last couple of nights and are looking good.
Old 28-12-2018, 11:30 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Santa was lazy, and didn't visit me.
No presents at all, of any sort, including non-astronomical.
Old 29-12-2018, 03:27 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Did you have an 'astronomical' Christmas this year....
I'm fascinated by those spectacles in the photo. They look solid and durable. Are they a prescription pair? I have grown pretty weary of spectacle frames that break - every pair I have bought for the past several years have broken and I am perpetually on the hunt for something like those in that image. Can you tell me more?

Peter
Old 29-12-2018, 11:29 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
Santa was lazy, and didn't visit me.
No presents at all, of any sort, including non-astronomical.
I feel better now, thanks. I scored a box of Ferrero Rochers. That said, Santa spoilt my kids, so there was giggles all 'round
Old 30-12-2018, 10:10 AM
leon

Nice one, I do have it and have made it 4 times to date.
it is very detailed and a excellent build.

Just to do a little bragging, I pick up the Millennium Falcon next week, now that will be a challenge 7541 pieces and over 1400 steps to complete.

It is huge, and so was the price, hence a Lay By was in order.

Leon
Old 30-12-2018, 02:41 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Santa must have clipped a power pole here and gave us a 17 hour blackout from xmas night to most of boxing day.
Powercor said the fault was caused by "weather"
A good excuse to eat all the food before it went off.
Cheers
Andy
Andy
Old 30-12-2018, 06:55 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

The Saturn V, and the Millennium Falcon utterly dwarf the largest LEGO sets I've owned and built.
Old 30-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hmmm....
My kids gave me a Saturn 5 LEGO for Xmas
I visited the Kennedy Space Centre in August ( that’s me standing below a Saturn 5 - this would have been Apollo 18 but Nixon cut the space program in 1972 )
Maybe there’s some connection with my Xmas gift ???
I’m nearly 60 and it’s my first LEGO kit ( I’m going to need some help I think, grandkids can you give Pa a hand )
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B41AA166-B1D8-415E-A990-C0A3C424D01B.jpeg)
115.0 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (3EEB1E3F-7B74-4093-BD1B-BE89440A077D.jpeg)
161.3 KB46 views
Old 31-12-2018, 08:11 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Went bush this christmas, and for me it was giving and not receiving though I did get a Bunnings gift card

Much of our "junque" has been stored at my father's house in the sticks for a few years. I ended up going through it all, picking what we needed to bring back with us and what to donate and what to leave. I found MANY astronomy texts (most from the 50's and 60's) and a planisphere from my childhood, all of which I donated to the local library out there, as well as dropping many items in the Vinnie's bins.

We are really not a Christmas family at all, so for us it's more about just meeting up with family. My 93 y.o grandmother is not expected to last til the end of this week (cancer), so it was a wonderful time to catch up and to say goodbye. She is still as bright as she was 30 years ago - (all marbles still there and her hearing) - so we took the chance to record her talking about her life, telling my kids stories and the like.

Now got the 14 hour drive home again to look forward - groan - to...after painting and repairing our rental house today and tomorrow...
Old 31-12-2018, 02:50 PM
leon

Please tell Jenifur.

Leon
Old 31-12-2018, 02:53 PM
leon

Martin If I can do it at 68 you will have no problems but it is easy to make a mistake if one dose not read the instructions properly. I did just that and had to go back a heap of steps to get it sorted

Leon
Old 31-12-2018, 06:53 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Went bush this christmas, and for me it was giving and not receiving though I did get a Bunnings gift card
That's actually more than what I got for Christmas this year, Lewis.
When I said I got nothing for Christmas this year, it wasn't an exaggeration. It was precisely accurate.

Quote:
We are really not a Christmas family at all, so for us it's more about just meeting up with family. My 93 y.o grandmother is not expected to last til the end of this week (cancer), so it was a wonderful time to catch up and to say goodbye. She is still as bright as she was 30 years ago - (all marbles still there and her hearing) - so we took the chance to record her talking about her life, telling my kids stories and the like.
I'm sorry to hear of your pending family grief I'm glad you were able to catch up with her and you had a good time.

Relatives of mine go in for the big Family Christmas Lunches. I'm not a fan of that.
This year my Christmas was stuck at home, due to a viral infection driving an annoying cough. Didn't want to pass it on to everyone who'd be at the Family Christmas.

Quote:
Now got the 14 hour drive home again to look forward - groan - to...after painting and repairing our rental house today and tomorrow...
Hope the drive home is at least calm without any problems from the other drivers on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Please tell Jenifur.
Leon
I read Lewis's post, Leon.

Thanks very much for pointing it out.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, got home this morning - left at 0630 on the Sunshine Coast Friday, arrived Canberra at 0014 today (Saturday). Only animal encountered was a rabbit running across the road - the kangaroo scare whistles continue to work a charm! Stopped in Coonabarabran for Fish and Chips, driving toward the storm (some magnificent lightning). The absolute LACK of traffic all the way from Toowoomba to Canberra along the Newell Highway was astonishing. I overtook 2 cars the entire trip, didn't even get stuck behind a single truck in the Never Ending Forest (Pilliga ) and generally just had an enjoyable, event-less journey.

Our new diesel fuelled car proved yet again it runs on an oily rag, requiring one $27 top up in Dubbo just for my peace of mind (I could have actually made it home on the original tank fill in QLD and still had 9km left ).

My Bunnings gift card that my wife online-ordered for me for Xmas was waiting in the mail (she works 0830 to 1900, so doesn't get the chance to shop). Now to spend it on fancy schmancy wallpaper panels for her - I think it was arranged this way deliberately

Grandma continues without deterioration to the point the doctor removed the nasal feeding tube and said she can go home if she prefers (she said no). Now the prognosis is anything up to 2 months (and she is only on palliative care).

Oh, and to keep it astronomy-related, the seeing in QLD was the best I had EVER seen - New Years eve, albeit a little cloudy, showed remarkably steady skies. I was itching to find a telescope somewhere! the skies at my dark site on the family farm in Moonford were just jaw dropping.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Grandma continues without deterioration to the point the doctor removed the nasal feeding tube and said she can go home if she prefers (she said no). Now the prognosis is anything up to 2 months (and she is only on palliative care).
That is absolutely BRILLIANT news to hear Lewis.

Quote:
Oh, and to keep it astronomy-related, the seeing in QLD was the best I had EVER seen - New Years eve, albeit a little cloudy, showed remarkably steady skies. I was itching to find a telescope somewhere! the skies at my dark site on the family farm in Moonford were just jaw dropping.
Same here in my area of Brisbane.
NYE was nice clear skies. We haven't had clear skies at night since.
The viewing was gorgeous.