Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Welcome to the TSA and Tak Family LoL :-)

I have used my TSA quite a lot across a range of the same targets.

I have noticed similar things like nice sharp stars and excellent colour rendition of stars.

In focus I have not noticed any false colour.

Also out of focus I have not noticed anything unusual either but I will pay a lot more attention on my next session

Maybe it was just an effect of the conditions?? Have you tried repeating the tests to confirm if it is consistent??

How was you intra and extra focus star test?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

False colour may also originate from the eyepiece, so try the same eyepiece with a reflector, if possible.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:59 PM
casstony

Probably best not to test at the limits of seeing - drop the magnification back a little so you've got a more stable image to assess.

The star test on my TSA120 is the nearest to perfect I've seen on any scope, with the symmetry on either side of focus holding all the way down to the last ring as focus is approached and no false color, though colour can be seen at times due to atmospheric conditions.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Looking at intra and extra focus, sounds like a fun evening Seriously though, I have not had the pleasure of viewing through a TSA-120 however I am very happy with my TOA-130NFB, it is a real chunk of a telescope between my eyes.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Probably best not to test at the limits of seeing - drop the magnification back a little so you've got a more stable image to assess.

The star test on my TSA120 is the nearest to perfect I've seen on any scope, with the symmetry on either side of focus holding all the way down to the last ring as focus is approached and no false color, though colour can be seen at times due to atmospheric conditions.
Exactly how I would describe my experience/tests with my TSA120

In order of decreasing probabilities I would say,

Observing conditions (including system acclimatisation)
Eyepiece
Fault with that particular TSA120
Old 13-11-2014, 07:23 AM
thomqos (Russell)

Well I'm no expert when it comes to star testing, but I do know what an airy disk should look like. I have trouble with judging intra & extra focal images, because to me they always look slightly different in the same way regardless of the scope I look through. But the star image on the TSA certainly holds tightly symmetric all the way into focus, as does my 10" newt.

In terms of the false colour I mention, I was using a 6mm delos with 2.5x powermate for 375x & it seemed mainly violet. Like i said, I think the colour was only as the image defocussed with the seeing. It was not visible at 150x. Of course what will really matter is real observing :-). I have'nt been able to look at the moon yet, so I am curious to study the moon limb at high power.

The only colour I've ever noticed with my eyepieces when used in my 10" newt. Is a yellow tinge along the moon limb, mainly with my older T1 & T2 naglers.

I understand that the TOA design has better colour correction than the TSA.. Not sure how/whether that would translate into any real world differences in terms of visual use though?

I know I'm REALLY fussy.. But thats why I got a Tak! Looking forward to the moon....
Old 31-03-2015, 09:38 AM
thomqos (Russell)

Well after a bit more use of the TSA and my 10" f6, it seems the colour is atmospheric/eyepiece in origin.

The TSA is quite simply an awesome scope.

On Jupiter at about 100-150x (low in Cancer) with average seeing, the 10" was much brighter as expected but I wasn't prepared to make a call on which scope revealed more detail. That requires more critical study, likely on a better night. The views were similar in respect to cloud features that could be seen.

The thing that impresses me most about the TSA is it's SHARPNESS. I find myself just happy to sit and relax and look at random star fields because they just look so nice. I am truly appreciating the jewel box for the first time. The whole Eta Carinae region is just magnificent at 26-41x (35 & 22mm panoptics).

With the 1st quarter moon low in the western sky, galaxies M83 and NGC4955 were dimly visible at 40-50x, the latter being a particularly lovely sight because of the lovely field stars which were tiny pinpoints. M104 and NGC5128 were obvious, both revealing their dust lanes. I'm really enjoying the open cluster NGC2516 in Carina for the first time now that I can get a 2.5 degree FOV.

My only slight annoyance is that the focuser operation is a tiny bit stiff for my liking.

My 10" has an excellent mirror and after comparing it side by side with the TSA for the first time, I did something; I put my name on AP's notification list for the Starfire 160! I never expect to own one, but it does suggest I'm starting to crave a little more aperture! My 10" is not quite as sharp as the Tak. and I am keen to perform more side by side comparisons of them as opportunity permits. One thing I'm always concerned about with the 10" is cool down and this doesn't seem to be an issue with the TSA.

Maybe I'll end up with a TEC 160 or 180 one day!
Old 31-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Allan

Nice write-up Russell. Sounds like you are really enjoying your new Tak. I was fortunate enough to spend an hour or two observing through a TEC 160 at IISAC. It was a great scope on a nice mount with a very friendly owner. We just toured around the southern Milky Way cherry picking the best objects. It was a memorable night, but so it should when you consider the price of admission for a TEC 160.
Old 31-03-2015, 02:27 PM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomqos View Post
I put my name on AP's notification list for the Starfire 160! I never expect to own one, but it does suggest I'm starting to crave a little more aperture!

Why wait?

Here's a 152 AP for US$5500

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=882199
Old 31-03-2015, 10:25 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Great report Russell,

Similar to my experiences. Don't forget it also makes a fantastic Terrestrial scope and Direct Solar scope with the addition of a Baader Hershel Wedge and now there is the Daystar Quark for Ha visuals.

This scope seems to be a real workhorse scope that keeps on impressing every single time I use it.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 AM
thomqos (Russell)

For what it's worth, in 1996 I had payed a deposit of several thousand dollars on a Starfire 155 EDFS and an AP mount. This was after having been impressed by a friend's AP Traveller. Wait time was 1-1.5 years from memory.

Then in 1997 I got engaged to my girlfriend and decided the money (about $13k from memory) would be better spent on a house. So I cancelled the order and AP refunded my deposit. An AP 2" barlow was part of the deal, so I still got them to at least send that to me (it's great & I still have it today).

18 years later on, I wish that I'd not cancelled my order!

Some guys hit their 40s and buy motor bikes; I'm not into motor bikes and so this was how I justified the TSA to my wife
Old 01-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I've got telescopes AND a motorcycle
Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 AM
thomqos (Russell)

Old 14-01-2016, 09:40 AM
thomqos (Russell)

Finally got a proper hard case for my TSA; The Pelican 1740.
I also recently fitted the Feathertouch micro-pinion retrofit, which is well worth the money.
Expensive case, but it's indestructible and plenty big enough to fit the scope with rings & dovetail bar. Here's how it looks.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2270.jpg)
98.6 KB218 views
Old 29-05-2016, 11:42 AM
thomqos (Russell)

A quick update on life with the TSA-120...

It's giving some mesmerising views of Mars at present, particularly with a no.25 red filter.. lots of detail visible just after opposition with a view centred around Terra Meridiani/Sabaea and I don't think I'm imagining the hints of white clouds.

The red filter really seems to steady the seeing as well for some reason. Had it up to 375x the other night with no problems, though the view is generally preferable at 188-250x, giving better surface brightness. Very impressed, given the modest aperture.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 PM
jamespierce (James)

Late addition to this thread... we have a TSA120 and a 16" DOB so best of both worlds... The beauty of the refactor is wide fields and perfect stars, no competition when it comes to faint stuff of course.

RE: Cases - Transit Pak in Melbourne made us a beautiful custom case for far less than we could get anything commercial online from outside Oz. Pelicans are good but HUGE by comparison (and I have a large collection for camera kit and eye pieces)

For visual TSA120 ... for imaging the 130. We actually downgraded from an FS128 because the weight and mounting was a not inconsiderable consideration.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomqos View Post
A quick update on life with the TSA-120...

It's giving some mesmerising views of Mars at present, particularly with a no.25 red filter.. lots of detail visible just after opposition with a view centred around Terra Meridiani/Sabaea and I don't think I'm imagining the hints of white clouds.

The red filter really seems to steady the seeing as well for some reason. Had it up to 375x the other night with no problems, though the view is generally preferable at 188-250x, giving better surface brightness. Very impressed, given the modest aperture.
Good to see you're still enjoying the TSA120 Russell, a very nice scope.
I have finished testing the Takahashi fleet and ended up with a couple of nice ones, but I guess I never met a Tak I didn't like.... I too found that 180 to 250 gave great views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
Late addition to this thread... we have a TSA120 and a 16" DOB so best of both worlds... The beauty of the refactor is wide fields and perfect stars, no competition when it comes to faint stuff of course.

RE: Cases - Transit Pak in Melbourne made us a beautiful custom case for far less than we could get anything commercial online from outside Oz. Pelicans are good but HUGE by comparison (and I have a large collection for camera kit and eye pieces)

For visual TSA120 ... for imaging the 130. We actually downgraded from an FS128 because the weight and mounting was a not inconsiderable consideration.
Pic of the Transit-Pak please James
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM
jamespierce (James)

Will do next time it's not under a pile of other gear... just looks like a standard band roadie gear case with custom foam lining...