#1  
Old 24-11-2010, 12:40 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Astro 40D has arrived

Hello all...

My trusty 40D arrived back from Central DS in South Korea yesterday reincarnated as an Astro 40D - cooled and UV/IR filter modded.

Service was really very quick - 4 weeks from posting to receiving it back.

Haven't had a chance to take any images under the stars or grab dark frames yet but I'll post comparisons etc when I do.

Ran the unit last night to test it out and was surprised to see how efficient it was. The supplied digital thermometer showed an air temp of 28deg C with the CMOS temp eventually stabilising at -2deg C after about 2-3mins operation time!!!
A drop of -30degs - way more than the-18deg +/-2 quoted by Central DS.

One minor heart-stopping drama - out of the box, the fan didn't work.
The temp would drop by about 20degs then gradually rise back to ambient.
The case of the cooling unit became very very hot (almost too hot to touch!!) Something was way wrong - the fan!!!!
Contacted Yun by email and was offered a new fan to install myself or send DSLR back for repair.
The description of the fan repair (see image) made me think that the fault may have been as simple as a loose/broken connection in the wiring, which thankfully it was - resoldered and repaired...Phew!!!!

Will post images soon...
Cheers
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (fan-change1.jpg)
147.2 KB82 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-11-2010, 12:51 PM
jenchris's Avatar
jenchris (Jennifer)
Registered User

jenchris is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ormeau Gold Coast
Posts: 2,067
Sounds like a winner.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-11-2010, 01:04 PM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,382
Doug my second 40D is over there at the moment - i am looking forward to getting that back

You will have hours of fun out of the sun with this one
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-11-2010, 01:40 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Sounds like a winner.
Cheers Jennifer - apart from the first refusal at the gate all's good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Doug my second 40D is over there at the moment - i am looking forward to getting that back

You will have hours of fun out of the sun with this one
I hope so, Cheers Dave. Can't wait to try it out - but on queue it's cloudy, humid and raining here!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-11-2010, 05:50 PM
leon's Avatar
leon
Registered User

leon is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ballarat
Posts: 10,687
Good one Doug, we expect some pool room images now mate, hope you get heaps of enjoyment from your new acquisition.

Leon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-11-2010, 05:59 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Good one Doug, we expect some pool room images now mate, hope you get heaps of enjoyment from your new acquisition.

Leon
Thanks leon - probably be just acquiring a library of darks looking at the weather forecast!
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-11-2010, 10:55 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Posted Dark/Noise comparisons here...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=68621
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Craig_L is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 558
Hey, looking good Doug. Bonus that the cooling is greater than spec. Noticeable difference in the darks with the cooling on, as it should be. Just need the weather to co-operate.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-11-2010, 12:28 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_L View Post
Hey, looking good Doug. Bonus that the cooling is greater than spec. Noticeable difference in the darks with the cooling on, as it should be. Just need the weather to co-operate.
Cheers Craig - yes, I hope this bonus efficiency continues and doesn't diminish with prolonged use of the unit.
The crappy weather will allow a start on a library of master darks so that I can hopefully reproduce the lack of noise as seen in the final image without using ICNR.
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Octane's Avatar
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Octane is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 11,159
Doug,

Congratulations. This is going to be such a big help for you during summer.

I remember earlier this year, I was out at JohnG's place. It was midnight, and 26 degrees. Trying to image Orion in 10-minute exposures through the 40D and 127ED; the noise was so unbearable it was depressing.

H
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25-11-2010, 01:09 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Doug,

Congratulations. This is going to be such a big help for you during summer.

I remember earlier this year, I was out at JohnG's place. It was midnight, and 26 degrees. Trying to image Orion in 10-minute exposures through the 40D and 127ED; the noise was so unbearable it was depressing.

H
Cheers H
The dark frame comparisons (in another thread) look promising.
Know what you mean about iso1600 imaging in summer
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Octane's Avatar
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Octane is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 11,159
Mate, that was at ISO-400. I didn't push beyond that, and, only in the later stages did I flirt with ISO-800.

H
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-11-2010, 02:06 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Mate, that was at ISO-400. I didn't push beyond that, and, only in the later stages did I flirt with ISO-800.

H
Pussy!!
LOL
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-11-2010, 02:48 PM
alan meehan's Avatar
alan meehan
Registered User

alan meehan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: maryland newcastle AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,524
Way to go DOUG ,GOOD TO SEE YOUR REPAIRS WORKED OK,YOU WILL LOVE YOUR ASTRO 40D,I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MINE SINCE GOING BACK TO YUN IT TAKES A LOVELY COOLED SHOT ISO800 WAY TO GO
AL
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25-11-2010, 03:53 PM
apaulo's Avatar
apaulo (Paul)
The Surfing Astronomer

apaulo is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Balnarring
Posts: 385
way to go Doug

Hey Doug!

Nothing like a new toy that brings joy to the user, and better still a little bonus in the shape of extra cooling.

Looking forward to viewing your "cool" pictures, excuse the pun!.

It is a shame that we don't have someone in Australia who can do the mod and supply the filters too!.

Have fun Doug.
apaulo (overheated dlsr user).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25-11-2010, 05:32 PM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Way to go DOUG ,GOOD TO SEE YOUR REPAIRS WORKED OK,YOU WILL LOVE YOUR ASTRO 40D,I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MINE SINCE GOING BACK TO YUN IT TAKES A LOVELY COOLED SHOT ISO800 WAY TO GO
AL
Good to hear your problems were all sorted out - I recall reading your post with dread at the time - Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulo View Post
Hey Doug!

Nothing like a new toy that brings joy to the user, and better still a little bonus in the shape of extra cooling.

Looking forward to viewing your "cool" pictures, excuse the pun!.

It is a shame that we don't have someone in Australia who can do the mod and supply the filters too!.

Have fun Doug.
apaulo (overheated dlsr user).
Thanks Paul - hope to grab some subs tonight if weather plays ball.
Eric Lo used to do the mods around these parts! Not sure if he still does.
My 40D was originally modded in Hong Kong, and now has been cooled in South Korea - it gets around!
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Tandum's Avatar
Tandum (Robin)
Registered User

Tandum is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carindale, Brisbane.
Posts: 4,105
Congrats on the new toy Doug, I'm just wondering why you went down this route instead of a cooled ccd ?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26-11-2010, 12:19 AM
dugnsuz's Avatar
dugnsuz (Doug)
to baldly go...

dugnsuz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hahndorf, South Australia
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Congrats on the new toy Doug, I'm just wondering why you went down this route instead of a cooled ccd ?
Hi Robin - Just suits the way I prefer to image...LiveView v's computer focusing, no special/custom adapters needed for EF lenses, easier framing of objects through viewfinder - Laziness really!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Tandum's Avatar
Tandum (Robin)
Registered User

Tandum is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carindale, Brisbane.
Posts: 4,105
Ahh I forgot you liked shooting widefield. I can not get a canon lens onto this qhy9+filter wheel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 02:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Nitecore
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement