Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-04-2017, 03:02 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

On the lead up to ANZAC Day

The Australian War Memorial has been projecting the names of all the Australian's killed in WW1 on the wall of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for some time now, and will continue to do so until 2018.

I looked when my Great Uncle, David Heckscher Lewis, was due to be projected, and it came up 24 April at 0158. Quite fitting I felt.

My wife and I went out and photographed it. It was very moving. I have always held a very emotional spot for my Uncle Dave, because not only do we share a VERY striking resemblance to each other, but in a strange quirk of fate, some important dates in his life correspond to important - and very similar themed - dates in my life. He was 22 when he died.

Sadly, I missed the most recent projection for my Great Uncle Alfred Charles Roth (my father's side), but will be sure to attend when his name comes up again.

May they rest in peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dave1.jpg)
35.3 KB79 views
Old 24-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Like.
Old 24-04-2017, 09:43 PM
beren

I haven't had the privilege of visiting The Australian War Memorial, but to witness that I can only imagine would be incredibly moving , thanks for sharing
Old 24-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I loved the war memorial, we stayed till the end of the day when they commemorate a fallen soldier, they do this every single day, was very moving.
Old 25-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Kunama

Lewis, I pressed the "LIKE" button but nothing happened...

The AWM is one place all visitors to Canberra ought to see, perhaps there would be more tolerance.....
Old 25-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

A lovely tribute on behalf of the AWM.

I agree Matt, an amazing place to visit and remember.
Old 25-04-2017, 12:14 PM
PCH (Paul)

So Lewis, is Lewis your surname or Christian name? It's always seemed that your buddies on here use it as your first name, but I'm now thinking it's probably not. Care to put an end to the mystery?
Old 25-04-2017, 12:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Both actually!

My mother's mother's side of the family surname is Lewis. Since there was only girls on that side, the surname ended with my Great Grandfather - so, as a show of respect and to keep the name going, it became a christian name to all boys on my grandmother's side - my Uncle's christian name was Lewis, as am I, irrespective of surname. If I have any boys (not likely), they would be Lewis too, but considering I don't, and there are no plans for more kids, I will ask my girls to call their boys Lewis.

There ya go
Old 25-04-2017, 02:20 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Both actually!

My mother's mother's side of the family surname is Lewis. Since there was only girls on that side, the surname ended with my Great Grandfather - so, as a show of respect and to keep the name going, it became a christian name to all boys on my grandmother's side - my Uncle's christian name was Lewis, as am I, irrespective of surname. If I have any boys (not likely), they would be Lewis too, but considering I don't, and there are no plans for more kids, I will ask my girls to call their boys Lewis.

There ya go
Thanks for clarifying Lewis. Not that it's any of my business, - I was just curious
Old 25-04-2017, 07:12 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I MMS'd the images to my mother today. She showed her mother, who cried when she saw them.

She has now asked me to revamp the medal display for my Great Grandfather (2nd Lt. Thomas Endymion Lewis, MM, MID), my grandfather Kenneth Walter Powell (survivor of Milne Bay, bombed in Darwin and the shelling of Townsville) and my grandmother, Betty Joyce Powell (nee Lewis. She was a transport driver).

On my fathers side there were several, but my Grandfather, Gordon John Burnett Maynard, was the last surviving WW2 veteran in the North Burnett, and the last Light Horseman in QLD (he died only 2 years ago)

https://www.centralnorthburnetttimes...heart/2722246/

Very long military tradition in our family going back to the Boer War.

Below is a photo of my Great Grandfather Thom Lewis when he was a 2nd Lt in the 13th MG Battalion, taken in France (2nd row, 4th from the left). He survived WW1, rehabilitated in a London hospital (he was gassed and also buried alive when he was seconded to lead the fledgling American forces ), returned to Australia in 1919, then signed up again in WW2, and lead the district VDC as he was deemed too old and medically unfit (because of the gassing) to serve front line. I still have his VDC Sam Browne belt and Rising Sun badges. he died in 1954 from pneumonia, undoubtedly grossly exacerbated by the gassing he got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (E01721.jpg)
51.0 KB10 views
Old 25-04-2017, 07:53 PM
leon

Wonderful, a proud moment indeed

Leon