Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Radio Astronomy and Spectroscopy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Molecular Spectra in the Visible band

I've been experimenting on www.spectralcalc.com and found I can produce reference spectra for a selection of molecules in the visible band. Attached are the PDF plots of Water, O2 and CO2.

It is also possible to extract the data to a delimited file and then massage it in Excel into a format we can use in Visual Spec. I've worked out how to get it to Excel at least - the rest should be easy (I've done it before).

At the moment I've exceeded my daily allowance on spectralcalc, so I'll work on it some more later. The other molecules that I can get spectra for are OH, HF and HCl. I haven't found any others on the list of options that have lines in the visible band.

BTW 1µm = 10000Å

Al.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WaterSpectrum3000-10000.pdf (77.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf O2Spectrum3000-10000.pdf (7.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf CO2Spectrum3000-10000.pdf (13.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by sheeny; 01-09-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Molecular Spectra in the Visible and Near IR band (3000Å to 10000Å)

Guys,

Here's the spectra that I've been able to find for molecules that have lines in the visible or near IR part of the spectrum - specifically 3000Å to 10000Å.

These were all extracted from www.spectralcalc.com, the wavenumbers converted to wavelength in Å, and the intensity left as is. The line data was exported from Excel as a csv file and the extension changed to .dat so VSpec can read the files.

As these are just the molecular lines, there are gaps in the wavelength domain where there are no lines and this may result in some funny diagonal lines across the empty band. Ignore this when you come across it. It didn;t make sense to add additional lines into the files just to make them look pretty.

Molecules included so far are: H20, O2, CO2, OH, HF, HCl.

You should be able to open these in VSpec to compare with captured spectra to help identify molecular lines/bands.

Enjoy.

Al.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MolSpecs3000-10000.zip (267.9 KB, 7 views)