Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-04-2024, 11:44 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Supernova SN 2024ggi in NGC 3621

Hello fellow observers!

There is a supernova that exploded in the galaxy NGC 3621 in the constellation Hydra two days ago. The supernova is brightening rapidly, I just observed it a few minutes ago and estimate it to be around magnitude 11.5.

This event is very well placed for us southern hemisphere observers, the parent galaxy is currently high up in the sky. If you've never seen a supernova before, this is a great opportunity. Report any observations you get of it on this thread, happy hunting and clear skies mates
Old 17-04-2024, 12:01 PM
sauron (Paul M)

Sn

Hi,

yes this Sn is one of the best ones I've seen, fairly bright but most importantly easy to find . Viewed it for the first time on Saturday 13th from dark skies. The galaxy itself (NGC3621) was a lovely sight in my 18" scope and the SN was so easy to identify as it sits on the edge of a large triangle of stars. Estimated its magnitude to be 12.6.

Followed up the 15th from home: it had brightened over last two days, estimate mag 12.0. What really surprised me was from suburban skies there was absolutely no trace whatsoever of NGC3621 - totally swallowed up by the sky brightness.

Last night (16th) it seemed to have dimmed again to around mag 12.5

bye for now,
Paul.
Old 17-04-2024, 02:27 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Thanks for the heads-up, I will definitely check that one out
Old 18-04-2024, 07:16 AM
N1 (Mirko)

So I got a good look at it last night with the 8". Borderline direct vision, host galaxy well visible, extending out to about, possibly slightly beyond, the 4 bright foreground stars that frame its core in a Crux-like pattern. A great view. After 2024gy earlier this year, another great SN to follow.
Old 18-04-2024, 08:40 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Great stuff guys, good to know that others are seeing this bright supernova! For me NGC 3621 is invisible from my light polluted backyard but the supernova stands out, with two brighter near by stars serving as a good guide.

I haven't been able to follow up my initial observation of this supernova due to work but will try and estimate tonight. Interesting to hear that it is starting to fade a bit..
Old 18-04-2024, 04:20 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Well done Joe, great work mate.
Out of reach for me but next week I'm heading to Elachbutting Rock, google that.
Only taking the SW 72 frac.
Old 18-04-2024, 09:02 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Out of reach for me but next week I'm heading to Elachbutting Rock, google that.
Thanks mate. Hope you and yours are well. I just googled Elachbutting Rock then checked on Light Pollution Atlas, wowee SQM 22.0, as dark as you can get on our planet! Your 72ED will serve you well under such dark skies Enjoy mate
Old 18-04-2024, 09:15 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Depending on your camera (sensor and pixel size), the SW72 may have enough reach to see the SN.

I have the SW72 paired with an ASI183MC and managed an acceptable image of the SN.

Cheers,
V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Old 21-04-2024, 06:28 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

That's good to know however l don't have a camera, it's all visual for me.
This way I'm seeing everything for the first time always, memory like a goldfish