Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2019, 02:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

How to improve mobil phone reception.

OK I looked on youtube and there seems to be a bit of bs on this so I ask is there any little tricks you know about that has worked for you.
Alex
Old 06-07-2019, 02:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I used to have an external antenna on the roof rack of my 4WD, cabled down to my phone inside. It worked to hold a signal from a tower for much further away (about 40kms in the outback where its flat) than the phone alone. Text messages and calls could get to me, but my phone lacked to power to transmit back to the tower. This is with a digital phone, with no in-car booster. So it was not much use really. I found my Inreach Sat Messaging device works much better, as least it supports two way text and emergency SOS alerts to rescue folks, with gps location given; and it works anywhere (but no voice). Next upgrade would be to a Sat Phone but $$$$.
I miss my old analogue phone, which had a great in-car kit.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Glen..I am thinking of hot spotting it and hoisting it up a tree and watch youtube via the tablet but its raining and zi have nothing to water proof it unfortunately... thanks I winder what a sat phone costs...every time I want to find a price I never can...anyways I will have a look...I have to lay the wrong way on the bed in the van and hold it near a window that does not open☺
Alex
Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Glen..I am thinking of hot spotting it and hoisting it up a tree and watch youtube via the tablet but its raining and zi have nothing to water proof it unfortunately... thanks I winder what a sat phone costs...every time I want to find a price I never can...anyways I will have a look...I have to lay the wrong way on the bed in the van and hold it near a window that does not open☺
Alex
There are boosters and repeaters. Pretty sure repeaters are illegal without permission from the carrier.

Sat phones, not cheap:

https://satphoneshop.com/products/satellite-phones
Old 06-07-2019, 03:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Glen.
Alex
Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Wavytone

Google “cantenna”. Pringle’s tins have an alternative use as highly directional antennas if you want to make a long-range point to point link with consumer equipment.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:14 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Alex,
We have really bad mobile reception here so we bought a car booster/repeater that works for us.
Its got about a 30 metre radius so we dont have to go outside to get a signal.
Technically they're illegal if you drive around with it because it kicks people off the towers but if you're remote like us i think it's ok.
We got ours from the US and it was set to telstra.
Cheers
Andy
Old 07-07-2019, 03:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for all the help advice and suggestions.
I have not climed a tree but I found the strongest signal in the vanannex region and hotapotted the phone and was able to sit in bed watching cage fights...which cherred me up what with all the rain inhibiting astro photos and astro projects...I cant believe the prize money these days ..imagine getting paid well for just having some much fun.
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 07-07-2019, 05:21 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Alex
Hi Alex,

An inverted jar: glass or plastic should be fine to waterproof a phone up a tree. Then just use a LOW VOLTAGE DC charger cable if you want to continuously power it so that you don't need any exposed 240V devices outside.

Best
JA
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Alex,

An inverted jar: glass or plastic should be fine to waterproof a phone up a tree. Then just use a LOW VOLTAGE DC charger cable if you want to continuously power it so that you don't need any exposed 240V devices outside.

Best
JA
Yes but these are new digs without a lot of good stuff laying around.
Things will improve as a dedicated hoarding program kicks in.
I have been eating peanut butter by the spoonful preparing your suggested high end equipment. Only one third of the plastic jar to go.
Anyways it is a great day as the Sun seems to be winning and so measuring cutting nailing and screwing will take over from spending all day here and on YouTube.
Alex
Old 07-07-2019, 09:30 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Alex,

The plastic jar will indeed be waterproof, but not likely UV resistant. A glass jar should fair better (but not necessarily the lid). Some PVC plumbing pipe + end caps of any size greater than the phone is better. Leave some holes in the bottom cap, and cover with flyscreen, etc - for ventilation. The phone will cook in a sealed container. Perhaps hacksaw 15cm worth off someone's downpipes...

...Preferably with their permission - lest you wish to test your ability to "reason you way out of any conflict" ~ Mirko.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you for your advice Andy.
I have always worked on the principle that it is easier to seek forgiveness than ask for permission but it just happens I have some down pipe with caps even up at the house.
Further I have a box that came with my phone plan which should do the job and it can be permanent. There is a tv antenna with this van that will take a pole so hopefully that with solve the issue.
However I am encouraged by the fact that the phone in a certain spot by the widow is for now delivering enough cage fights via hot spotting to relax and get to sleep.
Anyways got my measuring done so now up to the house and the wood pile to cut the frame for the observatory. So everything is moving along nicely.
Sun is out thank goodness so hopefully will make more progress today.
Alex
Old 08-07-2019, 02:04 PM
drylander (Peter)

It appears the best reception is not to live in remote areas
Pete