Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2022, 10:40 PM
Mark_K (Mark)

What I learnt today...

When you decide to mark out a north-south line to speed up setup using the stick & solar noon method, don't do it on a day when large dark clouds are floating across the sky as you can guarantee one will cross the sun at the exact moment you want to see the shadow.
Along with that, it's probably better to do it in mid-winter when the sun is much lower in the sky producing a longer shadow to work with!
Old 06-11-2022, 02:02 AM
Startrek (Martin)

It’s really nice to see folk using the time old proven method of finding true south using the solar noon method
It never fails and is not affected by the magnetic core of the earth when using a compass with declination offset
I started the hobby with an expensive Silva compass and ended up selling the damn thing
Bought a piece of 1/2 “ dowel , some string , bits and pieces and bobs ya uncle

I wrote this procedure back in 2017 ( see attached )

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6771.jpg)
193.2 KB117 views
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Finding True South using Solar Noon Shadow Method.pdf (25.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 19-05-2023, 10:36 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
It’s really nice to see folk using the time old proven method of finding true south using the solar noon method
It never fails and is not affected by the magnetic core of the earth when using a compass with declination offset
I started the hobby with an expensive Silva compass and ended up selling the damn thing
Bought a piece of 1/2 “ dowel , some string , bits and pieces and bobs ya uncle

I wrote this procedure back in 2017 ( see attached )

Cheers
Thanks. Even with all this technology I'm always amazed that it's the simplest, oldest ways that are the best.
Old 19-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
Thanks. Even with all this technology I'm always amazed that it's the simplest, oldest ways that are the best.
The Suns shadow never lets you down but compasses , apps and other electronic means have inherent deficiencies
The more accurate you are with your set up and shadow line marking , the more accurate your true South line will be
Cheers
M
Old 20-05-2023, 04:56 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

I re-did my solar noon shadow the other day.
This time with both tripods, then drilled holes in the concrete for the legs to locate in. Sorted for life.
Old 29-05-2023, 12:48 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I know true south is different to magnetic south. Does this method produce true south?
I've used this method before but my marking sticks/strings/lengths of steel or aluminium (6.5 metre lengths) always get disturbed.
One day I'll concrete a pier in the yard and won't have to worry about it again.....ONE DAY......
Old 29-05-2023, 02:48 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I know true south is different to magnetic south. Does this method produce true south?
I've used this method before but my marking sticks/strings/lengths of steel or aluminium (6.5 metre lengths) always get disturbed.
One day I'll concrete a pier in the yard and won't have to worry about it again.....ONE DAY......
True south