Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2023, 08:05 AM
rat156

Current plans for imaging setup, comments please

Hi All,

I've been collecting gear for some time with a view to a new (to me) type of setup.

I have, in the past, devoted much imaging time to obtaining colour for my images, hours of data in RGB, and all I used was the final colour part of the image, all the resulotion came from the luminance, either L or Ha for the most part.

This got me thinking, why am I taking the RGB portion with such high resolution etc, I often blurred the final RGB composite anyway?

With imaging time limited, why not capture both L and RGB data simultaneously. So the plan was hatched and the search for gear, mostly in the classified here began. I bought the two cameras first, and old SBig and a QHY. The Sbig is mono and will be attached to the main scope (Orion Optics ODK 12) mounted on a Paramount MX. On top of this will be the ED80 I used for the Omega Centauri image I posted recently, with the QHY, which is OSC, still need a field flattener for this scope. And an observatory as this will need to be setup permanently. A set of decent narrowband filters for the SBig and I'll be able to do pretty much anything I want.

Has anyone else tried this here? Any thoughts on the feasibility?

Cheers
Stu
Old 03-05-2023, 10:45 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Interesting plan Stu, try talking with PRejto (Peter) about it, he has lots of experience trying to perfect a dual imaging system

Mike
Old 03-05-2023, 06:33 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
Has anyone else tried this here? Any thoughts on the feasibility?

Cheers
Stu
Trying ...... 3 or 4 Telephoto Lens Array

I think such a setup is entirely feasible, if you have the mount to carry it all. You certainly do, .... I don't ...... Yet Oh and no fixed setup/observatory is no help.

I've collected more gear since my last update in my array thread. I should update it soon.

Best
JA
Old 04-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Dave882 (David)

Interesting idea Stu. I’ve often considered the same thing to combine data from my c14 with a piggyback refractor. I’d be very interested to follow your progress
Old 06-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Sara Wager has a dual imaging capture setup - you can read about it HERE
Old 15-05-2023, 08:50 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

The combination of data from different OTAs with different focal lengths and different pixel resolution works very well. Although I didn't collect the data simultaneously, I did combine data from my Esprit 100 with data from a commercial 16" Planewave CDK (https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=169160). Like you've mentioned, it would have been better if I'd used rgb data from the Esprit and luminance data from the CDK.
Old 17-05-2023, 07:46 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Stu,

The plan is good and can certainly be done. But, there are numerous pitfalls and traps. Seriously, you might be better off getting a 2nd mount because that solves the following:

1. Differential flexure
2. Simultaneous exposures
3. Guiding/Dithering
4. Software to run two cameras
5. Focusing two scopes simultaneously

I'm sure I've neglected a few things. With a second mount you can deal with all these issues because they basically don't exist!

Good luck!
Peter
Old 18-05-2023, 05:37 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

If I had the money to burn I would look seriously at buying a second Stellarvue to match my SVX80T and run mono and OSC side by side on a nice beefy saddle arrangement to avoid significant differential flexure. Then a change to the "Array" version of Voyager which is designed to control multiple scopes on a single mount, controlling focus, dithers, pointing angle (If you have a rotator), dithers, flats etc between all the scopes at once so you don't end up with a dither in the middle of an image from the "Other" scope etc.