Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-04-2013, 01:34 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Anyone have any experience with a 130SLT mount and tripod?

Last night I setup to take some shots of Saturn. I was furious! As I successfully got Saturn up on my Mac through my NexImage guess what came???

CLOUDS!!!

Quickly packed up incase it started to rain on my expensive equipment

Anyway, I wanted to ask about the mount how it connects on the tripod. No matter how tight it is the mount moves slightly.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Pic included.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Photo 18-04-13 13 22 20.jpg)
167.3 KB22 views
Old 18-04-2013, 01:40 PM
niko

Stefan

I owned one of these for a while but never took any photos through it.

I always found there was a bit of play - it's just the nature of that sort of equipment I'm afraid.

you might find a sandbag on the leg spreader helps produce a bit more stability but I always found mine took a while to settle down after slewing or toughing the scope

good luck

niko
Old 18-04-2013, 01:44 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Stefan

I owned one of these for a while but never took any photos through it.

I always found there was a bit of play - it's just the nature of that sort of equipment I'm afraid.

you might find a sandbag on the leg spreader helps produce a bit more stability but I always found mine took a while to settle down after slewing or toughing the scope

good luck

niko

Yeah that is a good idea. I bought a new dovetail and tube rings as well as an electronic focuser which has helped a lot in the settling down part but the shake that remains is in between the mount and tripod which is annoying.
Old 18-04-2013, 02:25 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Stefan,
I don't have the SLT but do have the previous generation Nexstar. There is a fair bit of slop in the mount.
Go over the whole tripod and mount and make sure everything that should be is done up firmly remembering you are working with plastic in some locations. The covers on the mount come off easily enough and you will see where relevant screws are to tighten things up.
Even after doing this you will see that there is still some slop, that's just the nature of the beast. Doing this did provide some improvement but not enough for me to persist with it.

Michael
Old 18-04-2013, 02:34 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
Stefan,
I don't have the SLT but do have the previous generation Nexstar. There is a fair bit of slop in the mount.
Go over the whole tripod and mount and make sure everything that should be is done up firmly remembering you are working with plastic in some locations. The covers on the mount come off easily enough and you will see where relevant screws are to tighten things up.
Even after doing this you will see that there is still some slop, that's just the nature of the beast. Doing this did provide some improvement but not enough for me to persist with it.

Michael
Will double check all the screws.

I'm guessing the only other option is to purchase a go-to mount (the expensive option) and chuck the OTA on it.

Do you think there is a way to leave the OTA on the mount and put the mount on a more steady tripod?
Old 18-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Isn't the 130SLT mount a goto? Did you mean GEM?

In any case, apart from weighing down the tripod for stability you could take the plastic covers off the mount to see whether there is a way of adjusting the worm engagement. If there is then that should allow you to get rid of most of the slop.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 18-04-2013, 03:23 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
Will double check all the screws.

I'm guessing the only other option is to purchase a go-to mount (the expensive option) and chuck the OTA on it.

Do you think there is a way to leave the OTA on the mount and put the mount on a more steady tripod?
While the tripod is not the greatest there is a bit you could do to make that more solid. The problem is the mount itself. You are limited in what you can do to stablise that. In the end if you want to pursue astrophotography start saving for a good mount. In the meantime try to enjoy what you have and get the best you can out of it.
Old 18-04-2013, 10:32 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Yeah it is a shame.

I will make sure every screw it tight on the scope.

You would think these companies make a decent enough tripod for the money you pay though. I understand you need to pay a lot more to get something good but the cheaper models should at least have a steady tripod.
Old 23-04-2013, 05:22 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

I have decided to make a wooden tripod (will be doing it with my Dad ). I dismantled the 130 SLT tripod and I am so surprised on how flimsily and crappy it is.

Been looking online for ideas and came across a great one so we will be measuring the current legs and replicating that with wood. Dad had a bunch of spare wood underneath the house (good quality and very, very strong wood).

Will post photos!