Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2023, 03:35 PM
Swagman105 (Geoff)
swagman105

Recommendations for a dedicated astro camera

Up until now I have been imaging single shot unguided with a ZEQ25 and DSLR with an old Vixen ED80S.
Some time ago during COVID lashed out and bought a CEM70 and a Stellarvue SVX102T with the view of taking the next step.
Unfortunately opportunity and equipment issues (faulty iPolar in the CEM now back at iOptron for repair or replacement), has stalled those plans.
Still, looking ahead, I want to develop a top class no excuses outfit and have also purchased an ASAIR Pro to act as the hub for that.
My next consideration is to buy a dedicated Astro camera.
I am sure there is a big learning curve to get to where I would like to end with guiding, monochrome cameras, filter wheels, processing etc. so I don't want to make things too complex or more expensive than necessary.
So looking for recommendations for a relatively inexpensive but adequate Astro camera to work with to replace my DSLR.
PS I live in suburban Geelong with probably mid Bortle skies.
Old 13-03-2023, 08:03 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Geoff,

If you're going to be using the ASIair, then you will be limited to the ZWO range of cameras (plus a few DSLRs).

There is an online calculator that will point you at the camera best matched to your scope:

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability

Cheers,
V
Old 05-05-2023, 03:00 PM
Sabs (Ian)

I don't think you can go past the ZWO ASI533 other than a bit pricey.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:19 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

I would consider either the 533MC or 294MC. I shoot mono with the 294MM with a similar refractor, but was about to get the 533MC until I got the 294MM on here used for the same price as a new 533MC. The 533MC is a great camera, but some people don't like the square sensor. If that doesn't worry you then go with the 533, otherwise the 294 is a good option.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 10-05-2023, 05:21 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

I have heard a fair bit about people using Huion LED Flat panels.
You can even get them through Harvey Norman.
I have been looking at these on and off myself.
https://www.huion.com.au/led-light-pads
Old 29-05-2023, 07:43 PM
Didge (Gary)

Hi Mark,
Its not such a long time since I asked myself the same question, so I hope I can offer some advice based on my own experience

The main thing that will guide your decision about a suitable camera is your telescope. It's very important to match your camera to your telescopes focal length, otherwise you run the risk of your images being oversampled or undersampled.

Oversampled images dont make the best use of the light falling on your sensor - that requires more light to achieve the same contrast as an optimally sampled image.

Undersampled images tend to saturate your stars, which look pixelated and blocky.

Thankfully, it's really easy to calculate the best pixel size for optimal sampling - its based on the diffraction of light around the inner surface of the telescope aperture, and the seeing conditions at your location.

So - for your Stellarvue at 714mm focal length, these are the optimum pixel size for different seeing conditions :-

Seeing = 1 Superb 1.34
Seeing = 2 Excellent 2.68
Seeing = 2.5 Average 3.36
Seeing = 3 Fair 4.03
Seeing = 4 Poor 5.37

You would probably aim for 'average' seeing of about 2.5, which give you optimal sampling with 3.36 um pixels - which is about the size of the pixels in several ZWO cameras.

My advice is **definitely* to start off with a good quality **cooled** colour camera with pixels of about 3.6 um, such as a ZWO 071MC.

Mono imaging with filter wheels etc is a quantum leap in complexity compared to SLR or OSC imaging - it presupposes years of experience capturing images and post-processing them.

You will get much better images and have a lot more fun with an OSC camera, which will give you an opportunity to develop the skills you need before progressing on to mono imaging.

I recently got a CEM70 by the way - and love it.

I hope that helps,

Gary
Old 02-06-2023, 04:00 PM
Swagman105 (Geoff)
swagman105

Thanks all for your input.
I have already made a leap of faith and purchased an ZWO533MC one shot colour cooled camera. Mainly as I felt, one shot colour would be a simpler progression than mono. Was happy to see that it's pixel size 3.76 fell close to the sweet spot recommended for my SV which will be my imaging telescope of choice.
I do envisage obtaining a longer focal length telescope like a C8 down the track for smaller DSO and planetary imaging, but that will be a way off now with the treasurer well and truly applying the financial brakes.
Gary, I also love my CEM70 although our relationship did get off to a bad start with polar alignment problems with the iPolar. Only got it back from iOptron with a repaired circuit board last month but have lost the best of the imaging conditions. I am not masochist enjoying freezing winter nights at my age, so my imaging learning curve will largely have to wait until warmer conditions.
Thanks again
Old 03-06-2023, 06:04 PM
12InchTim (Timothy)

Hi Gary,

Thanks on behalf of all the newbies for posting your encouragement and advice! I'm in the same boat i.e. contemplating a OSC as an upgrade to my DSLR

Cheers,

Tim
Old 03-06-2023, 06:06 PM
12InchTim (Timothy)

Hey Swagman,

Have you used your camera yet? I'm looking at getting the same camera as my first dedicated astro setup!

Cheers,

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman105 View Post
Thanks all for your input.
I have already made a leap of faith and purchased an ZWO533MC one shot colour cooled camera. Mainly as I felt, one shot colour would be a simpler progression than mono. Was happy to see that it's pixel size 3.76 fell close to the sweet spot recommended for my SV which will be my imaging telescope of choice.
I do envisage obtaining a longer focal length telescope like a C8 down the track for smaller DSO and planetary imaging, but that will be a way off now with the treasurer well and truly applying the financial brakes.
Gary, I also love my CEM70 although our relationship did get off to a bad start with polar alignment problems with the iPolar. Only got it back from iOptron with a repaired circuit board last month but have lost the best of the imaging conditions. I am not masochist enjoying freezing winter nights at my age, so my imaging learning curve will largely have to wait until warmer conditions.
Thanks again
Old 03-06-2023, 07:55 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hiya Swagman,

Nice choice with the '533MC. It was my first choice when I was looking for a dedicated astro-cam but ended up with a '183MC-Pro because a too-good-to-miss deal popped up.

I can't wait to see your images start appearing here.

Cheers,
V
Old 03-06-2023, 08:03 PM
Swagman105 (Geoff)
swagman105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12InchTim View Post
Hey Swagman,

Have you used your camera yet? I'm looking at getting the same camera as my first dedicated astro setup!

Cheers,

Tim
All I have done so far is to attach it to the imaging train and achieved focus on a far off daytime object and have done no DSO imaging with it yet. Some of the images I have seen on the web makes me looking forward to using it.
All my gear has effectively been put away for the winter as we will be doing some travelling on and off for the next few months.
I will also have to learn the ASIAIR system with which I intend to use it.
Makes me wonder if anyone offers a training course for the ZWO imaging ecosystem. One can spend a lot of money on gear but a relatively small amount spent on obtaining the knowledge of how to use it effectively may be worth it.