Old 03-01-2020, 04:43 PM
luka
Unregistered User

NEQ6 RA stickiness

Hi,

On NEQ6 how "easy" should it be to turn each of the axis? I am talking about turning the axis by hand with the clutch released.

The DEC just "glides" extremely easily. It feels like there is no friction at all, I could just blow on it and it would turn.

On the other hand the RA axis is much stiffer. Much, much stiffer (even with no scope/weights on). It requires a significant push to turn and the guiding in RA direction sucks.

Is this normal? If not what to check? I have tried cleaning/regreasing it twice but it seems to be the same.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by luka; 04-01-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Imme (Jon)

Was there a broken space on the axle when you pulled it down?

Sounds like the axis securing not is too tight
Old 04-01-2020, 12:07 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Thanks for the reply Jon.

All spacers were OK. I have tried loosening the main nut that holds the axis (also the nut that adjusts the worm play) - no difference.

Maybe there is an issue with one of the big bearings? I should have probably paid more attention when I had it in pieces.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:12 AM
Imme (Jon)

If it isn't tightness of the nut then all I could suggest is one of those bearings then...tear down time!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:36 AM
casstony

Did you use a low viscosity grease like superlube for the regrease?
Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

There is often a bit of fiddling required with the spacers to get it working right. If the spacing is not right you can either have parts of the mount physically foul on one another and cause drag, or end up with too much preload on the bearings causing a dragging axis, or on the other hand you can end up with too little bearing load and an axis that is not stable due to end float.

The Astrobaby rebuild and supertune guides are a good resource when it comes to working out shims, but even if you have a kit of sidderent ones you may find like a friend and I did on one mount that you have to choose between a bit tight and draggy or a little much end float. We chose end float and that particular mount performed quite nicely.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:07 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Have you tried slacking off the thruster bearings on the RA axis? They are hidden behind the black buttons (use a pair of long nosed pliers to take them off).