Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Using iPhone to image with a telescope

Do any of the members have images taken with an iPhone available to share??
I'm trying to understand how viable it is to determine a basic setup which works every time.
Let me know.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:38 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

OK
Dr Google links only say focus the eyepiece and point the camera lens into the eyepiece....job done!
Seems to work with bright objects, Moon, Planets etc but what about fainter stuff?
Is there any control over the exposure in the iPhone? Which lenses in the iPhone are available for low light -Wide Angle or Standard?
Old 12-03-2023, 01:02 AM
raymo

If you have a late model phone that allows you to set aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and a sturdy bracket to hold the phone steady at the eyepiece, you can produce some passable pics if you do some noise reduction when processing the image. If you are wanting to produce something a bit better, you could get something like a Canon 350D or 450D body only for a couple of hundred dollars, and source a cheap adaptor for a few dollars, and do either prime focus or eyepiece projection imaging. This all assumes that you have a tracking mount.
If you are talking static rig, then of course you would be severely constrained by star trailing.
I expect someone will post a pic or two so that you can see what can be produced.
raymo
Old 12-03-2023, 08:55 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Raymo,
Yes, I now see with the newer cameras (iPhone 12,13,14) it is possible to control exposure up to 30 sec!
With older phones iPhone X etc the exposure can also be changed a small amount but no accurate exposure time given.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:00 PM
raymo

I'm not familiar with Iphones later than the 10, but the later upscale Samsungs allow manual control of aperture, shutter speed, white balance, and ISO, so I assume the premium model Iphones do too.
raymo