Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2022, 10:20 AM
LKD (Luke)

Binning Issue

I was experimenting with OSC binning which I subsequently read was not a good idea, anyway I took the subs at 1x1 binning and the data is actually pretty good, however the flat fields were at 2x2 binning. Any way I can use the flats to calibrate the 1x1 binned subs? Thanks for any guidance
Old 02-11-2022, 11:07 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I know most folk use PI and PS for post processing , however I use Startools and Binning is an extremely useful process to improve SNR ( a slight trade off with resolution) with both Mono and OSC data sets.
I image with the 2600MC at 1x1 and the Bin module provides an excellent scalable binning which accommodates all types of image scales and seeing

I love it , particularly with the large objects

By the way my images scales using my 3 x Newts are 0.88, 0.76 and 0.62 arc sec per pixel respectively, so oversampled and ideal for scalable binning

https://www.startools.org/modules/bin

Cheers
Old 04-11-2022, 09:06 AM
LKD (Luke)

Thanks Martin, I have tried rescaling the Raw images from 1x1 to 2x2, however I get an error message Image geometry not compatible when I try to use my 2x2 flat fields to calibrate the subs.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:58 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I only Bin in post processing not calibration and stacking
My files from the OSC camera are bin 1x1 , 50 MB fits files
They are calibrated and stacked in DSS then I use the stacked DSS fits file in Startools for post processing where I use the Bin module.
As ST Bin module is scalable I Bin as required depending on the quality of the initial AutoDev stretch. Sometimes I Bin 50% , sometimes 70% , sometimes not at all

Cheers
Old 04-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

flats arnt a pixel to pixel kind of calibration thing. Use pixel math to multiply the flat *2 or double the pic size in PS and see how that goes. Perhaps blur the flat just a tad.