Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-08-2018, 03:47 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

NGC7293 in HOO

This is a post Astrofest image from home taken over a single night last weekend, 12x5mins each of Ha and OIII and combined as an HOO image.

Had to deal with gradients and quite a lot more noise than the Astrofest data but I'm still quite pleased with the result given the imaging location and smaller number of subs.

the big version is here
https://www.astrobin.com/full/363195/0/

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC7293_HOO_v2_s.jpg)
180.2 KB36 views
Old 26-08-2018, 12:47 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Nice result for a quickie, Peter. The stars aren't quite as round as most of your recent images?
Old 26-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Awesome colours and a good result for such short integration
Old 26-08-2018, 03:26 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Nice result for a quickie, Peter. The stars aren't quite as round as most of your recent images?
Thanks for the comments Rick. The stars are a constant battle when I move the SN10. It is a lot easier to get the collimation right when the OTA is sitting horizontal on a table with the focuser pointing up however I then need to lift it onto the mount with the focuser pointing down and manoeuvre it through the obs door. That is simpler at Astrofest where there is no obs to get in the way.

The secondary is normally the issue as the whole secondary assembly can rotate in the corrector plate. Bondy and I had a go at removing the secondary to replace the gaskets before Astrofest however it looks like the retaining ring has been lock-tighted in position. We did discuss machining a new one however that is not going to be a quick job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Awesome colours and a good result for such short integration
Thanks Sauvi. My tree lined city horizons put a significant limit on integration times. Luckily the large aperture compensates somewhat.
Old 26-08-2018, 04:28 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
The secondary is normally the issue as the whole secondary assembly can rotate in the corrector plate. Bondy and I had a go at removing the secondary to replace the gaskets before Astrofest however it looks like the retaining ring has been lock-tighted in position. We did discuss machining a new one however that is not going to be a quick job.
Ah, yes. I remember that Astrofest discussion now.

I'm expecting life with an ASI1600 and camera lenses to be simple and carefree. After all, what could go wrong at f/1.4?