Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

Dark sites

Hi all,

I am on the hunt for site darker than my backyard without travelling 100Km out of town. Do any such sites exists?

I have been for a drive around the Adelaide hills and there are plenty of dark roads, but nowhere even to stop and see what's visible. Even in small towns the street lights are as bad in my street.

I just want to see some things that are meant to be visible to the naked eye.

Michael,
Seacombe Gardens.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

They are generally about, I managed to find a couple of nice sites which I am investigating now, managed to find the details of the land from the shire and is only 30 mins from my place.

The simple way I did it was to use Google Maps and use the satelitte image and just scout the areas.
Usually stick to road covered areas and then find on the image large open spaces.
I then take a drive out to the areas to see what is offered, first during the day seeing what open spaces are available then take a trip at night to see how dark the areas are. You will find some sites from the map will never amount to much.

They may not cover the whole sky coverage but generally gets majorty view. So I need to contact the owners now, one being a government agency to find out if i can set-up.

Good hunting.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

G'day Michaell, to IIS, mate.

I've got one Q. for you, how far do you want to travel?

I googled your 'burb & had a look around your surrounds. I found a few ovals in an aptly named 'Jupiter Creek', due east from you, I'd say 25-30km, on the far side of a large dam. If you can't see anything better with your naked eye, see your doctor.

Do a search for any local astro clubs. They would have somewhere dark sky & somewhere much more local. At least if you contact them they'll point you in the right direction.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Solanum

Interesting. I have been wondering about dark sites around here too. I recently moved from Mildura (pretty good dark skies) to the Adelaide hills and am pretty shocked by the number of fuzzies that I can't see anymore. Horrified actually. I was in Blackwood, but am now in Coromandel Valley, which is a bit better but my new place is full of trees and I can only see a postage stamp of sky.

My in-laws re near Nairne and have a big block with good skies, but it is rather far (40 mins drive) to take my 10" dob. So I am in the same situation as you. I was just about to search for an Adelaide astronomy club and see if they had any sites...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

I am heading up to Mt Barker to my sister's place today with the scope. I have tried this a few time this year but each time the clouds rolled in.

For the local astronomy club look here http://www.assa.org.au/ I guess I should join. I am hoping to get to their next public night at Stockport.

I will have to check out Jupiter creek, that sounds interesting. Most public parks that I find locally have floodlights in the carpark, or are too exposed to street lighting.

Michael
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

About sunset the clouds started rolling .

I did get about an hour of clear skies later in the night. Despite all the lights in the house being on I still got a better view of the sky than my own backyard. I just need a good clear night when I am up there.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

haha yeah the law of the universe, when thou travels a distace away from thou house to view the universe, thy clounds shall come forth with a vengence.