Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosydiver View Post
Mount: I'm pretty sure I don't want an equitoral due to the extra complexity, bulk, weight, cost & setting up [?]. I'm sure a good Alt/Az with correct balance, rigidity & fine movement will be OK.
It's great you are thinking this through. I owned a refractor on a EQ mount, and while the scope was good, I hated just about everything you listed about the mount. I've since picked up another refractor on a good alt-az mount and love it. Get the setup you'll use the most.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

That is why I love the dobs. Alt/Az motion is simple then just add the equatorial platform when you need tracking
Old 13-10-2007, 12:18 AM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Shop around, take the extra time and go down to Bintel at Glebe, I've dealt with Andrews for ham radio and now astronomy and know them well, I have also dealt with Bintel, it pays to compare and with astronomy you have the other dealers.

Roger
Old 14-10-2007, 07:02 AM
woosydiver

I'VE DONE IT!

I bought a telescope yestreday.

I popped in to both Andrews and Bintel. It was bit of a drawn out decision but I came out of Bintel with an Orion ShortTube 80mm Refractor as a kit but no mount for $379. I was hoping that my current camera mount may have been suitable, I was 90% confident it would not and proved myself correct within seconds of attaching the telescope. Now looking for a mount.

The telescope is reviewed in IceInSpace at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...41,282,0,0,1,0

I liked:
  • the price
  • it came as a complete kit
  • size
  • flexibility for future enhancements [compared to s spotting scope which I was also considering]
  • pretty white colour [only kidding]
Although it was a clear sky last night I did'nt really test it out due to no suitable mount [& too many glasses of wine]

Thanks all for you help, comments, & suggestions, just 1 last question,

Do I have to grow a beard to really get into astronomy?
Old 14-10-2007, 09:05 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Made exactly that mistake myself. I have pretty much the same scope, I was thinking about the EQ3 mount but I am glad I was persuaded to buy the EQ5. But it is a heavy tripod and mount might not fit with what you are doing and you probably don't need to bother with an eqitorial mount if you are not going to get into photography.

Have fun
Roger