Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Solanum

Mid-range 70 deg eyepieces

Just pondering future EP purchases and wondering what opinions are of EPs I haven't tried.

Does anyone have recommendations for (new) 1.25" EPs in the AU$200-$400 range with 70deg or thereabouts AFOV? So the TeleVue EPs with that AFOV are out of that price-range and so are the Pentax XWs.

Siebert Ultra would be one (I used to have and like a 2" 15 mm), Baader Hyperion another (which I have never used). What else should I consider? What are the Hyperions like?

Thanks for any comments!

Note 1) just musing at the moment, but 26, 14 and 10 mm would be where my interest lies.

Note 2) I realise I could get a better EP (e.g. Nagler, XW) within that price range (just) if I got a second hand EP.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Don Pensack

Don't know the Oz prices, but the upcoming 76° Baader Morpheus might be in your range. Long eye relief. 17.5, 14, 12.5, 9, 6.5, 4.5mm in 1.25"
Baader Hyperions 68° would perform excellently in your Celestron, and have the advantage of being easily modified to yield 4 different focal lengths with each eyepiece (the standard and 3 shorter focal lengths). Long eye relief, too. 3.5, 5, 8, 10, 13, 17, 21, and 24mm in 1.25"
Explore Scientific 68° eyepieces are probably in your price range, too. 16 and 20 and 24mm in 1.25"
If not above your price level, Vixen LVWs are recommended. 65°, and 22, 17, 13, 8, 5, and 3.5mm in 1.25"
Olivon 70s are a decent low priced alternative. 3.5, 5, 8, 13, and 17mm in 1.25"
And you might find used Delos and XW eyepieces in your price range.
There are lots more, but that should get the ball rolling.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:41 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Brand new and buying locally I'd recommend the Vixen LVW 13mm.

I suspect the Morpheus will be over $400.

If you buy from Japan you can get a Pentax XW for less than $400 delivered. The 10mm XW is highly recommended, but less so the 14mm due to field curvature in some scopes.

The Delos 10mm and 14mm are excellent if you can find them second hand. I was silly enough to sell my 14mm Delos so it does happen!

If you haven't tried any of them before I'd recommend buying used, or try to have a look through someone else's first. The performance of the Delos and XW are virtually indistinguishable (the 14mm Delos doesn't have the field curvature issue) but ergonomically some prefer one over the other.

The Hyperions are good although not in the same class as TV, Pentax, etc. They are cheaper copies of the Vixen LVW line. However, while the LVWs show a flat field in pretty much any scope, the Hyperions really only perform well in scopes of longer focal ratio. For example, they will do well in your SCT.
Old 13-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Kunama

After a fair bit of to&fro with Pentax Televue Vixen and Tak eyepieces, I have settled on the Vixen LVWs. They have enough eye relief for me and certainly quality wise lose nothing to the XWs Naglers for my purposes.

More finely tuned eyes might disagree but for me they are excellent value for money, they are solidly built although their aesthetics are from a bygone era like me.
Old 14-09-2015, 12:13 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
from a bygone era like me.

next purchase ... a ' Wheeler Walker '

....as for the LVW's ... great choice to make.

Poppy ...

Last edited by FlashDrive; 23-09-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 22-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Fox

Just my 2 cents, I think the LVWs and Explore Sci would be good choices. But I believe the Baader Hyperions are very similar to the Orion Stratus - and personally I would avoid them. I've done a lot of direct A-B comparison with my TV, Pentax and LVW eyepieces, and the Orion Stratus are definitely a rung lower in performance - especially contrast and edge. Don't get me wrong, the Stratus line offer some nice features for the price (20mm ER, comfortable to use, big eye lens), but for a little more I think you can do that much better IMHO.

Fox