Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 05:39 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

Portable Power options

hey was wondering what battery packs do you guys use to power mounts cameras etc in the field when don't you have access to 240?
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I use this:

http://www.drypower.com.au/shop/prod...0TB-Y-KIT.html

built into a Kinchrome Medium Safe Case with both Cig.plug socket and Merit socket as well as fuses installed.....
Old 01-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I have two 20Ah golf buggy batteries which are now over ten years old and still going strong.
Just need a good triple stage charger.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have gone 240 vlt for everything.
I have 120 amphour deep cycle battery running a 200 watt inverter.
The battery is charged via 120 watt solar panel with built in regulator and I have a small four stroke Genny to top up the battery if needed.
It may seem like overkill but now I running two mounts with the possibility of another cooled camera ..maybe two lap tops if I get sick of the Asiair wifi.
It may sound complicated but minimises the prospect of so many things going wrong.
Alex
Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

1. if I am in a fixed location such as a star party easy 12v car battery and inverter, I keppy my batteries I change every three years from my Renault Grand Scenic.

2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-1...c=1&th=1&psc=1

3. https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/...tery-pack.html

Number 2 also ids a superb one in case of a power cut
Old 02-03-2020, 08:42 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

I find one of these very useful:
https://tradetoolsupplies.com.au/aut...yABEgLIbfD_BwE
Also available at Jaycar for a bit more.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:18 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have gone 240 vlt for everything.
I have 120 amphour deep cycle battery running a 200 watt inverter.
The battery is charged via 120 watt solar panel with built in regulator and I have a small four stroke Genny to top up the battery if needed.
It may seem like overkill but now I running two mounts with the possibility of another cooled camera ..maybe two lap tops if I get sick of the Asiair wifi.
It may sound complicated but minimises the prospect of so many things going wrong.
Alex
Alex, inverters are pretty cheap these days, I would suggest you get a larger capacity one. I run a 3500 W pure sine inverter off my shed solar system (2×250W panels), MPCC, and 3x100AH deep cycle battery bank. This setup allows me to run any power tools i have. I have run a AC cable underground to my observatory and it can be plugged into the inverter when required. I used to have a generator for trips to Bretti but I sold it last year. The beauty of the shed system is that I can run house appliances off of it if needed in a power outage (by running a long extension back to the house). Must never try to wire a standalone solar system into a grid connected house wiring system. The house has a roof solar system, grid connected, but of course in a power outage the system is shutdown as all grid connected systems are required to be.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, inverters are pretty cheap these days, I would suggest you get a larger capacity one. I run a 3500 W pure sine inverter off my shed solar system (2×250W panels), MPCC, and 3x100AH deep cycle battery bank. This setup allows me to run any power tools i have. I have run a AC cable underground to my observatory and it can be plugged into the inverter when required. I used to have a generator for trips to Bretti but I sold it last year. The beauty of the shed system is that I can run house appliances off of it if needed in a power outage (by running a long extension back to the house). Must never try to wire a standalone solar system into a grid connected house wiring system. The house has a roof solar system, grid connected, but of course in a power outage the system is shutdown as all grid connected systems are required to be.
Hi Glen I hope you and yours are well.

The current inverter does all I ask although I will be getting something larger for the van.
As to power tools I now have a decent collection of cordless stuff..drills, saws (including a chain saw that works great) angle grinder...anyways with the observatory complete I hope my need for tools is less.

The van came with 3 batteries and similar panels to yours but those batteries are little more than useless....and so I have on order 3 new ones each of 100 amps..they will drop right in..nice boxes there for them...gel of course given they are inside. I need a 2 kVA Genny for the air conditioner...I have a nice one with key start...and so the van/ observatory is near finished...I plan to spend most of my time there although I have spotted a nice yatch that I will probably buy to live on if I can find a suitable berth up North...I don't have much time left so I thought why not...plus it is a great buy...a make that I have always wanted and these days they are just so cheap..cheaper than a better van with shower etc. I may put it in the dam. 32 foot plenty of room for an old man who doesn't move much. If I leave it in the sea I probably won't sail it just live on board when not at the van.

I am going for a sail with a mate simply to see if I can still get around a boat...last time on his boat I could not get out of the cockpit...he said no problem and that he could build me a harness so I could move myself around...we shall see. I had a goal to be the oldest man to sail around the world but that does not appeal as much as it once did...but the boat I have in mind is more than capable...so????
Alex
Old 02-03-2020, 10:32 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I currently use a 100AH LiFePo4 battery and a 360W pure sine wave inverter to run the astrophotography setup.
I am looking at getting a smaller portable one just to run the AZ-EQ6 and potential dew heaters for a few hours so the 16AH buggy batteries look good
Old 02-03-2020, 10:41 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Colin,
Add a 120W, 12V to 15V car converter to the mix to power the SW mount.
I've used one for the best part of ten years on my HEQ5 and NEQ6pro to great effect.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:12 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Surely just a VERY expensive packaged low power car battery ?

garages will happily GIVE you a used 70+ amp hour battery free if you ask

Old 02-03-2020, 08:12 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
TradeToolSupplies Powertech MB-3748 Portable Power Centre Multi-function 42Ah AC/DC/USB Outputs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
garages will happily GIVE you a used 70+ amp hour battery free if you ask.
Jeremy, the Powertech power centre is built around lithium ion batteries. The sort of batteries in an electric, or hybrid car.
Not the batteries you were thinking of, found in a classic petrol or diesel car.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:51 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Jeremy,
I agree the Powertech unit is not perfect, but it has some useful features. It can be charged from mains, car lighter socket or solar panel via mc4 connectors with built in solar charge controller. Adapters for each are included. Output is via DC jacks using included cables, USB ports or mains plug inverter. The latter can only handle 100W, but it’s useful for charging a laptop. I can still run mount using a step up DC converter and camera cooler from DC and USB hub using USB power. Built in torch has also proven useful for me a few times.
Sure it could be better, but it’s handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post

garages will happily GIVE you a used 70+ amp hour battery free if you ask

Old 03-03-2020, 12:31 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

What you could do is add up what you think you will use, a cooled camera and a lap top can consume a bit..but add up how many Amps and get a battery four times that number..also when you have mage in winter you tax the battery running it in the cold..in my case my previous 100 amp battery could die around 3 am...my lappy is a glutton that's where a lot of power goes..
Plus if out for a couple of days you could consider a Genny or panel.
Alex
Alex
Old 03-03-2020, 10:38 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:

I've got one of these, and it's a massive improvement on the old Supercheap jumpstarter pack. If you've got a dob, it used to be a right pain having to move the battery when the scope is slewing, but these lithium fellows just sit on the side of the dob, held in place with a few velcro strips. Plus the USB ports let you keep tablets/phones charged at the same time.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
I got one of these from JayCar (when it was on discount), and got a 40W solar panel as well from the same company (Powertech), and it has it's own built in MPPT solar charger/controller, so you just plug it in with the included cables. You can top it up/charge all day from the solar panel and use it at night.
I haven't used it with the scope gear yet, but looks promising, in particular that it can run multiple bits of gear off it. So light too.

It's just LiPo, not LiFePo4, but should have long retention regardless if left sittling around.
Old 19-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Bluknghtv (Daniel)

my powertech wont keep my kit running for long. Need to keep it plugged in to the house mains in the backyard to power my lappy, mount, dew heater
Old 19-03-2020, 09:30 PM
Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluknghtv View Post
my powertech wont keep my kit running for long. Need to keep it plugged in to the house mains in the backyard to power my lappy, mount, dew heater
That’s because the 42Ah is misleading. That’s not at 12v! The device is only 155Wh. So about 6Ah at 12v. 42Ah would be much bigger.

I have one and is useful for charging and powering small devices. I have one, use it for camping. It drops below 12v quickly as well!.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 19-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

You guys need to expand your thinking....always wimping out with Cheap Chinese rubbish.

One of these is the way to go. AND is emission free !!

http://www.teledynees.com/our-produc...-power-systems
Old 20-03-2020, 12:20 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

I tried one of these but kept on getting back before I left.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/flux-capacitor/p/OUTATIME

Cheers
Andy