Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-02-2011, 02:04 AM
ben.
Bork Bork Bork

A couple of questions.. Forum, stars, expectations, photography etc..

Hi all!

Been lurking around here for a while now and have a few question that I'd love some help with..

Ok, here goes..

1. Clicking on a thread in the forums, it always brings up the last posted message first. If I want to read a thread from the beginning it's a matter of finding the first page number then clicking to that. The weird thing is that this only seems to happen on this computer (Toshiba Satellite, Win7, only a year old), when I load IIS on my iPhone, the threads always come up with the original post first. I'm sure there's a ridiculously simple way of rectifying this, any help?

2. Antares
So I've have my little NexStar 4SE since Christmas and I've seem some amazing things. From my vantage point in the backyard, the most impressive is by far Eta Carina. While not distinct, it is gorgeously fuzzy and whispy. Anyway, so there's this really big star about 600LY away called Antares (rival of Mars and all that). My question is, why is it flashing at me? When I've seen it, it is usually lowish on the horizon, but both naked eye and through the scope, I'm positive I'm seeing various colours flashing at me. Is it a variable, and is that why the colours cycle? Does it burn at a certain temperature that the wavelengths of light given off get jumbled into different colours? Is it our atmosphere scattering the light before it reaches me? Do I need to see a doctor?

3. So I'm in love with my scope and the girl that bought it for me for Christmas. I've seen various things that induced awe and wonderment (and a few giggles after the Aunt in law said 'This thing doesn't work, I can't see anything' after everytime she put her eye to the EP, we sneakily replaced the lens cover). Clearish views of Saturn got everyone a little awestruck and gave my NexImage a fun little workout (once I got the thing aligned properly). So, to the question. What, realistically, should I be able to discern? I've already mentioned Eta Carina, it's a faint cloud that begs to brighten itself up to me. Am I going to be able to make out any structure in the Sombrero? What sort of nebulosity should I be able to pick out? I'm in some relatively dark skies. About 25km north of the Sydney CBD, light pollution is a minor (I think) drama. My eyesight is excellent. What do you think?

4. I want a camera. Both for normal day to day stuff and I would love to use it with the scope. It seems that from reading others comments on astrophotography and seeing their equipment lists in their signatures, The Canons seem like standard. What's a good starting point? Cost is not an issue at this point because I'm a dare to dream kind of guy. I know it's going to be more than possible to spend over $2500 on camera plus odds and ends but for me this will be mostly wasted. What's a good, solid camera that will benefit me both at night for starry stuff and at other times when I just want some pictures? Is the Canon the only way to go? Are Sonys and Nikons etc just as well made even though their cheaper for the apparent equivalents?

5. Desperate to get to a star party or viewing night in my local area. Problem 1. I'm in the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Can't find any listings for anything in the area. Probelm 2. I'm a chef. I work Wednesday thought Sunday. Do any of these astro clubs, that I either can't find or don't exist, hold meetings or viewing nights on probably the least popular nights of the week?

As I said earlier, I'm a dare to dream kinda guy.

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read. If you respond in anyway, an even bigger thanks for helping this easily excitable, but none the less keen, beginner astronomer.

Cheers,

ben.
Old 28-02-2011, 04:51 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'll answer #1 because it's the easiest

Make sure you're logged in, and make sure you have "Remember Me" ticked when you login.
Then set your preferences in your User Control Panel -> Edit Options:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/p...do=editoptions

Then scroll down to "Thread Display Options", and "Thread Display Mode" and make sure it's "Linear - Oldest First".

Done!

to IceInSpace!
Old 28-02-2011, 11:06 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Ben,

I'll answer the questions I can.

Question #2:

Antares is "flashing" because of thermal currents in the air. When you start pushing the magnification of a scope beyond 100X, the influence of the atmosphere starts to become more noticeable. And it doesn't matter the size or quality of your scope. 200X is a rare fish, and anything over that you either have hit the lottery, or need to go to much higher up mountains.

Question #3:

Your scope is no slouch when it comes to light gathering. It is a capable instrument. Yet, the key to "seeing more" is really an experience thing. There are little techniques used to see more details, like averted vision and even giggling the scope too! I'll give you an example, last year at a star party held in Randwick (Sydney's crappie skies), we tried to tackle some galaxies on a poor night of seeing conditions. I had my 17.5" scope trained on a faint fuzzy that my 40 year old eyes could "easily" make out, but a 17 year old couldn't. My 40 year old eyes have nearly 30 years experience, the younger fellow probably had bugger all. See what I mean?

Question #5:

I would say most clubs and other star party gathering do happen on weekends, . But if you are really keen, I might be able to host you on a night you aren't working for a couple of hours. I'm in Maroubra. Let me know through a PM.

Mental.
Old 28-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Liz

Ben, you have a great scope there, love those NexStars.
Antares is also flashing when it is low on the horizon, because we are looking through a lot more atmosphere. Lots of big stars/planets twinkle beautifully when low. Venus is often taken for a UFO when it is low as so bright and colourful.
Old 28-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Hi Ben, #3 for me cause I started with a 4.5" reflector. You will see a lot more in about 6 months to a year as you develop your observing skills. Orion will offer you many challenges and joys. M 42 is the dominant eye candy but there are lots of clusters and nebulosity to explore. Eta Carina and area is worth a lifetime of observing in any size scope. Have a look for the gem nebula and the Jewel box.

As well if you want to try something a little strange for a light gathering instrument check out the 'Coal Sack'.

I guaranty that whatever from M-110 list is in your skies you will be able to find. The Sombrero in a 4 will be visible but not a lot of detail.

If I may make 2 suggestions; (1) download some free software so you know where to look (Stellarium is quite good for a moderate sized scope) (2) develop the skills and when and only when you have mastered the skills enough to use your scope to its limits buy a bigger one.
brian
Old 28-02-2011, 09:48 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi ya Ben
Most of your questions have bheen answered and I cannot add much to them. Congratulations on the scope, and I hope you have a lot of enjoyment with it. Alex (mental4astro) makes a good point about training your eye. Also try to learn how to judge seeing conditions. One thing I try to do is have a few targets that are large and bright that I look at all the time such as M42, Tarantula, Omega Cent and 47Tuc. That way I get a pretty good feel for how they look in good, average and poor conditions. I can then temper my observing to match. In realy good conditions a 4" will pick up quite faint objects and reveal lots of details even in target like M104, but will struggle in poor seeing.
As regards cameras, Canons have proven popular, I am not really sure why, I know there are some successful Nikon imagers out there, but Canon seems to prevail. Several people have used the 1000d quite successfully. Often times the features that you pay for in a High End DSLR are not really useful for astro work anyway, so a pretty basic camera does the job.
I am far from an expert re imaging! However I can make a couple of points. These samll scope are not really designed to have heavy cameras hung from them, the motors struggle and can slip and ruin shots. If you have a Neximage, play around with that for a while getting moon shots and planets and some of the brighter open clusters to see if you really enjoy imaging before spending a lot of $$$. Also beware! daring to dream is fine but really successful astro imaging is very expensive!!!

Malcolm
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 AM
KenNo2658 (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben. View Post
Hi all!

Been lurking around here for a while now and have a few question that I'd love some help with..

Ok, here goes..

4. I want a camera. Both for normal day to day stuff and I would love to use it with the scope. It seems that from reading others comments on astrophotography and seeing their equipment lists in their signatures, The Canons seem like standard. What's a good starting point? Cost is not an issue at this point because I'm a dare to dream kind of guy. I know it's going to be more than possible to spend over $2500 on camera plus odds and ends but for me this will be mostly wasted. What's a good, solid camera that will benefit me both at night for starry stuff and at other times when I just want some pictures? Is the Canon the only way to go? Are Sonys and Nikons etc just as well made even though their cheaper for the apparent equivalents?

Cheers,

ben.
Ben, I'm only a Newbie here, but I've had a Cannon 450d EOS for a while now and think it is the best camera in the world. I don't think I'm much of a photographer but I have been told!...I am the official photographer for the Belle Nebula's first birthday and Naming Day. And have been asked to be the official photographer for a wedding. The wedding I think is because they want it on the cheap, but the Belle Nebula is a bit of a puzzle. They can and DO, afford the best. But if so, it ain't me, it's the camera!

And I seem to be able to take reasonable photo's (well, to me at least) through my scope. And the 450 seems to be the camera of choice for a lot of Astrophotographers.

As to affordability? Well, I managed to pick up one for the Belle's parents for $500 off E-bay. Doesn't have the lenses and extras that I have, but I haven't used any one of them for space shots!

Just a suggestion, since you want a dual purpose camera.

Ken
Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Ben,

yeah, regarding #4.

The other Ken above is correct.

He has the Canon 450d. I have the Canon 350d and it is magic for both Astrophotography and everyday use.
Probably get one for about $300-$400.

Go into 'Advanced search' and put '350d 450d' then select the section 'Images' Deep Space.

The results will show you what a 350 or 450 can do in a scope.

As for everyday pics and weddings they are also great.